Author Topic: Elderly cancer patient calls 911 because he is hungry and has no food, operator comes to his home and makes him sandwiches  (Read 2313 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Because I am sick and tired of doom and gloom news:

An elderly cancer patient with no immediate family says he rang 911 because he did not have any food and was physically unable to leave his house to buy something to eat.

Clarence Blackmon was discharged from hospital in Fayetteville, in Arkansas, on Tuesday after spending months there for cancer treatment. The 81-year-old returned to his house without any supplies and anyone close by to call for help, according to ABC 11 Eyewitness News.

Hungry and unable to buy food, he called 911 and asked if someone could buy some groceries for him. "What I need is someone to get to the grocery store and bring me some food because I need to eat something,” Mr Blackmon told the operator. “Whatever you can do to help. I can’t do anything. I can’t go anywhere. I can’t get out of my damn chair.”

An hour-and-a-half later, Marilyn Hinson, the operator he had been speaking with, arrived at his front door with police carrying bags full of food and made him some ham sandwiches.

"He was hungry," Ms Hinson said. "I've been hungry. A lot of people can't say that, but I can, and I cannot stand to see anyone go hungry."

Mr Blackmon described Ms Hinson as "amazing", adding: "Us little people need a helping hand every once in a while. Most of the time, we get overlooked. We're still here."

He will be getting a home healthcare assistant to check on him twice a week, but in the meantime ABC advised anyone in the area who would like to help him to contact Fable Police.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/elderly-cancer-patient-calls-911-because-he-is-hungry-and-has-no-food-operator-comes-to-his-home-and-makes-him-sandwiches-10248860.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline cammie

Wow.  Made my monitor blurry.

That's a wonderful story, but at the same time it's so sad our country has come to this.  50 years ago he would have had neighbors who made sure he didn't have to call 911.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
 What a great story.

And a good cry to clean your eyes.    :laugh:

Heart goes out to the helpless elderly that have too much month left at the end of the money. 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Wow.  Made my monitor blurry.

That's a wonderful story, but at the same time it's so sad our country has come to this.  50 years ago he would have had neighbors who made sure he didn't have to call 911.

Welcome.....are you from FR?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It's sad that the neighbors weren't about for him, but emergency services stepping up is good. They get a lot of hassle, at lot of grief and a lot of hate, yet most of them are more like these fine people.

Protect and Serve - it's another oath to be taken seriously.  :police:

And Welcome cammie!

Offline mrclose

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline cammie

Welcome.....are you from FR?

Thanks for the welcome!  Yes, I was banned there yesterday for...well...thinking that someone could drive a train negligently whether or not he was gay.

Offline Millee

Thanks for the welcome!  Yes, I was banned there yesterday for...well...thinking that someone could drive a train negligently whether or not he was gay.

Wha???? 

Good ol' FR. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Well I think you will recognize a few people here...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Same here....over a post on a thread about homosexuality.  It was many years ago.....Sinkspur warned me right away after my post, but it was "too late".

Welcome!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline cammie

Offline cammie

Same here....over a post on a thread about homosexuality.  It was many years ago.....Sinkspur warned me right away after my post, but it was "too late".

Welcome!   :beer:

Ah...another "homo-apologist" just like me.  At least I think that's what I was called before the zot came and hit me right between the eyes!

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Their forum name seems inconsistent with their habit of giving the ban hammer to anybody with an opposing point of view.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Politics4us

I was banned for saying that I would support Romney if Gingrich or Santorum lost, while I was debating people.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Offline Relic

I wasn't banned, guess I should have tried harder?

Offline Millee

I was deemed a "troll" for posting too many topics in General Chat. 

FR mods -

Offline kevindavis007

I wasn't banned.. Never mind I got into a lot of p*ssing arguments with the Anti Mormon Brigade..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online mountaineer

:silly: You just can't make that stuff up. I was banned twice for reasons unknown. No explanation, no nothing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org