Author Topic: Ashitha Nagesh Doesn’t Want “White Saviours” Standing Up For Victims Of Racial/Religious Harassment  (Read 413 times)

rangerrebew

Ashitha Nagesh Doesn’t Want “White Saviours” Standing Up For Victims Of Racial/Religious Harassment

V. Saxena 
April 20, 2015

Bigotry and intolerance unfortunately exist, as does racial/religious harassment. When a middle-aged woman started ranting at a young Muslim couple on a Sydney train simply because the wife was wearing a hijab, that was a clear-cut case of religious harassment, period:

The harassment eventually ended thanks to the efforts of Stacey Eden, an outspoken 23-year-old white woman who rushed in to defend the couple.

“She wears it for herself, OK?” Eden exclaimed. “She wears it because she wants to be modest with her body, not because of people like you who are going to sit there and disrespect her.”

Good! I for one love to see people stand up for others. And while I admit that radical Islam exists, I see no discernible signs of it whatsoever in this lovely young couple. The point is that this couple did not deserve to be harassed, and Miss Stacey Eden did the right thing by standing up for them.

#RoundOfApplause

But alas, The Independent contributor Ashita Nagesh disagrees. She in fact resents Eden, who she refers to as a “white saviour,” for defending the couple.

She contends that Eden prevented the couple from speaking up and defending themselves. This despite the fact that according to People magazine, the husband, Hafeez Adhmed Bhatti, “posted a thank-you message to Eden on Facebook, thanking her for her support.”

“Personally I found this video uncomfortable, but not for the reasons most other people seemed to,” Nagesh wrote.

“Yes I was disgusted by the racism, but I also felt patronised. It is just an incredibly patronising video. The couple are treated like children who can’t possibly be expected to deal with a crap situation by themselves.”

She added,”The problem with videos like this is that they perpetuate the idea of the helpless minority needing a ‘white saviour’ to stick up for them.”

I’m going to be very blunt here. People like Ashitha Nagesh are what’s wrong with this world! This woman is such a gigantic racial grievance monger that she would rather victims of racial/religious harassment suffer than a perceived oppressor stand up for them.

“While the thought is appreciated, I say no thanks to white saviours,” Nagesh concluded. “It may be well-intentioned, but their ‘help’ does more harm than good.”

Says you, an obvious racial grievance monger. However, as someone who himself has been harassed numerous times in the past (sometimes because of my race, sometimes because of my autism), I imagine with great confidence that the vast majority of harassment victims WISH someone like the awesome Miss Stacey Eden would have stood up for them!

To read her piece in full, look here.

http://downtrend.com/vsaxena/ashitha-nagesh-white-saviours
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:09:15 am by rangerrebew »