Author Topic: Lindsey Graham Is ‘91% In’ the Race for the GOP Nomination  (Read 1940 times)

rangerrebew

Lindsey Graham Is ‘91% In’ the Race for the GOP Nomination

By Emily Zanotti on 4.20.15 | 11:49AM

"Ninety one percent" is a rather arbitrary number, but I suppose Lindsey Graham, when not speaking on the subject of bombing a random nation into the ether, is a very arbitrary person. Shocked, apparently, by the lack of attention being paid to his bid for the Presidential nomination, Graham told reporters this weekend that he's "91% in" the race for the Presidency, and that we should all expect a surprise announcement any day now.

He has, of course, yet to raise enough money to compete with Marco Rubio, who has raised $40M and Ted Cruz, who is reportedly a record-breaking fundraiser. But fear not, someone is going to like Lindsey's message. He's sure of it.

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday that he’s “91 percent sure” he’ll get into the 2016 presidential race -- inching closer to a longshot challenge to the well-funded Republican front-runners.

Graham, a Republican and a military hawk, told “Fox News Sunday” that his foreign policy will be better than the plans put forth by Republican candidate Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

“I think I’ve got a good message,” he said. “I’ve been more right than wrong on foreign policy.”

Graham also stood behind his more moderate views on climate change, closing tax loopholes and comprehensive immigration reform, declaring he could win South Carolina, which is largely conservative and an early-primary state.

“If I’m on the ballot, I’ll win,” said the 59-year-old Graham, a former Air Force pilot and military lawyer.

He's not technically wrong, in the sense that he has a better chance of winning South Carolina than someone who isn't from there, but only among some South Carolinians unfamiliar with his work, but there's already a more "moderate" candidate in the race, Jeb Bush, and he's probably halfway to $100 million by now. And while some people might be more concerned with climate change this year than they were two years ago when it wasn't our foreign policy priority, no one is mistaking Lindsey Graham for Captain Planet.

Where Lindsey will come in handy, though, is on the foreign policy front. So far, the GOP field has been rife with rhetoric, but not much experience. Not that Lindsey has always been right, or that I agree with him more than 10% of the time, but given the threats popping up across the globe, a discussion of foreign policy would be good to have among Republican candidates, especially since, say, Lindsey and Rand Paul, are so far apart. If the debates aren't contentious on a personal level, they could produce fruit that allows the GOP to compete more readily with Hillary Clinton, who will be considered to have de facto foreign policy experience because her tenure as Secretary of State resulted in only a handful of major homicides worldwide (or something).

The American Spectator Foundation is the 501(c)(3) organization responsible for publishing The American Spectator magazine and training aspiring journalists who espouse traditional American values. Your contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law. Each donor receives a year-end summary of their giving for tax purposes.

Copyright 2013, The American Spectator. All rights reserved.

Source URL: http://spectator.org/blog/62455/lindsey-graham-%E2%80%9891-in%E2%80%99-race-gop-nomination

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Lindsey Graham Is ‘91% In’ the Race for the GOP Nomination
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:47:53 pm »
The Republicans of South Carolina could have stopped this man. **nononono*
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:10:14 pm »
And I'm 91% sure I wouldn't vote for him.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »
And I'm 91% sure I wouldn't vote for him.
You know, this could be a good thing. Very few people outside South Carolina will vote for Graham. (At least I'd hope.) But he has machine-like control in that state, so if he makes that state irrelevant, it could open the field. Establishment candidates use SC as a key momentum-builder. With Graham the native son taking that one off the table, they'd have to move to another state that isn't as entrenched as an always-early state.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 11:52:10 pm »
South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday that he’s “91 percent sure” he’ll get into the 2016 presidential race -

On the question of whether he expected to win the nomination Lindsay "Forrest" Graham said "life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:59:12 pm by aligncare »

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 02:51:06 am »
All he needs is a good kick in the rear this is the worst candidate to say he wants to get in the fray. All these corrupt politicians seem to be signing up for the big office. I guess seeing and envying the very corrupt Obama in office brings in all the rift raft to try to emulate him. Where oh where have the smart voters gone hopefully they will be out in full force in 2016 but I doubt it. I really believe our country is gone to the progressives and nothing will stop it's downward fall. Our once great country is long gone.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:10 am »
I have heard figures on $1-2.5 billion thrown around, for campaign spending.

There are probably legal workarounds, such that you raise money and run, and keep some of the money for yourself.

Add that money to books, paid television and speaking appearance, and it makes financial sense to run for awhile.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Longiron

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
The Republicans of South Carolina could have stopped this man. **nononono*

You are correct  BUT the TP hijacker groups got there marching orders from the RINOGOP and put up 3 different TP candidates and split the vote. It worked perfect and that is how he won. Run one TP candidate and Ms Lindsey is retired to a lobbyist. Remember as long as conservatives are part of the GOP they LOSE. JMO :amen:

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:41 pm »
Does Graham really believe he has a constituency outside the South Carolina GOP machine?   

I like him on National Security matters and all but he's attached to Pubbies like McCain, Collins, Warner et al on just about everything else.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 05:16:56 pm »
Does Graham really believe he has a constituency outside the South Carolina GOP machine?   

I like him on National Security matters and all but he's attached to Pubbies like McCain, Collins, Warner et al on just about everything else.

If one perceives the greatest threat facing the American experiment today is the threat from radical Islam, then supporting Graham may be worth the risk.

Sometimes supporting a candidate because of a single issue may be the smartest thing to do.

After all, compared to Obama how bad can Graham be?

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »
If one perceives the greatest threat facing the American experiment today is the threat from radical Islam, then supporting Graham may be worth the risk.

Sometimes supporting a candidate because of a single issue may be the smartest thing to do.

I'm comfortable with other candidate options in this primary who will be equally serious about rebuilding our Foreign Affairs, National Security and DoD capability after the scourge and purge of the last 7 years.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 08:31:12 pm »
Right now, no.

But he hopes that he can parlay a win in South Carolina, where he does have control over the machine, to momentum elsewhere. Not gonna happen.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 09:29:55 pm »

Good post.

Graham's only chance to win the GOP nomination in 2016 is escalating terrorism and global conflict.  Candidates don't win on Foreign Policy alone.  I could see Graham winning the general election, but his negatives are way too high in his own party to win the GOP nomination at this time.

I think he is just dipping his toes in the water for a future run, but perhaps he wants to make sure American defense is an issue that the candidates talk about more.