Author Topic: Wisconsin: Public school students must “pretend you’re a Muslim”  (Read 642 times)

rangerrebew

Wisconsin: Public school students must “pretend you’re a Muslim”

April 15, 2015 9:59 pm By Robert Spencer 25 Comments

Union-Grove-Muslim-essay-assignment-fullOnce they’re pretending they’re Muslim, students must describe the “struggles” they face. When will Union Grove High School have students pretend that they’re Nigerian Christians, and the struggles they face when Muslims of Boko Haram come to their village, burn down their church, and take their female children captive as sex slaves? When will Union Grove High School have students pretend they’re Jews in Paris, mocked and menaced and physically attacked by Muslims for daring to be Jews?

“High school writing assignment asks students to ‘pretend you are a Muslim,’” by Kyle Olson, EAG News, April 14, 2015 (thanks to Jerk Chicken):

UNION GROVE, Wis. – Pretend you’re a Muslim. That’s what a 10th grade World History writing assignment asks students to do at a Wisconsin high school.

WISN talk radio host Vicki McKenna posted Union Grove High School teacher Beth Urban’s email for a five-paragraph essay on Twitter.

It reads:

–Pretend you are:

1. Muslim male/female in U.S.

2. Give 3 examples of what you do daily for your religion and any struggles you face.

3. Again, 5 paragraphs (intro, 3 body paragraphs, closing.)

**Keep in mind we’ve been doing work and watching documentaries that have the facts needed to write the essay.

Union Grove Muslim essay assignment fullEAGnews emailed Urban to obtain more information on the assignment but she did not respond.

Specifically, we wanted to know if there were similar assignments based on other religions or just Islam, as well as what documentaries were watched to prepare for the essay.

A parent of the student who received the assignment tells EAGnews, “I feel that the purpose of the assignment is to show prejudices towards Muslims in America or to invent them or exaggerate them.”

The parent, who asked to remain anonymous, doesn’t blame the teacher for the essay’s instructions.

“I did not voice my concerns directly to the teacher because I do not blame the teacher. I believe this is a curriculum issue. The teachers are not using their own curriculum, the school boards/superintendents do generally,” according to the parent.

“I brought attention to it because I felt that it was inaccurate for World History. I would have no problem with this assignment if they were to pretend they were in the Middle East and practicing their religion. I first was bothered because it seems that if any Catholic issues are brought up attention is brought to the school and (the assignment) banned being a public school.”…