Author Topic: Lawmakers Propose Plan to Cut Funds to Ex-Presidents  (Read 1188 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Lawmakers Propose Plan to Cut Funds to Ex-Presidents
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:18:15 am »
Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have introduced legislation that would cut some taxpayer-provided funds provided to ex-presidents.

Right now, former inhabitants of the Oval Office get about $200,000 each year for their pensions as well as funds for office expenses.

The new legislation would cap those office expenses at $200,000 and then decrease that amount dollar-for-dollar for any money earned above $400,000. The yearly pension would remain the same.

Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah and Democrat Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland say that since all ex-presidents become millionaires, there's little point for the government to keep taxpayers on the hook for such a large subsidy.

"This simple legislation is designed to end unnecessary government payments to former presidents who earn substantial income from post-presidential work," they wrote. "History shows that former presidents do very well financially after they leave office. In fact, all living former presidents are millionaires, making it very unlikely that they depend upon their tax-payer funded allowances to make ends meet."

The legislation would not affect security for former presidents.

It's not clear whether the legislation will come up for a vote in the House or be able to pass the Senate.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/lawmakers-propose-plan-cut-funds-ex-presidents-n342306
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Lawmakers Propose Plan to Cut Funds to Ex-Presidents
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:44:48 am »
I think we should look at the compensations those in Congress receive after they leave as well.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:16:44 pm »
I think we should look at the compensations those in Congress receive after they leave as well.
Did you know when pelosi was speaker of the house she a a huge live floral display sent to her office every day? that kind of thing should stop as well.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »
Did you know when pelosi was speaker of the house she a a huge live floral display sent to her office every day? that kind of thing should stop as well.

Didn't she also have access to her own plane in which she had a lavishly stocked bar?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »
There's no doubt that we the people allowed a festering political aristocracy to grow in Washington DC,  and to a certain extent in state houses across the country.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
There's no doubt that we the people allowed a festering political aristocracy to grow in Washington DC,  and to a certain extent in state houses across the country.

That happens when the people stop paying attention to what our leaders are doing because they're too busy sucking up popular culture. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »
Didn't she also have access to her own plane in which she had a lavishly stocked bar?
I had forgotten about that.

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »
That happens when the people stop paying attention to what our leaders are doing because they're too busy sucking up popular culture.
Which has been the plan for some time.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:50:52 pm »
I'd base the cuts on the work the ex-Presidents did. Which means I'd start with the current resident of the White House, cut his salary to 'zero', and bill him for the vacations. That should leave enough to leave the former Presidents alone.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee