Author Topic: Cruz to announce White House bid Monday  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Cruz to announce White House bid Monday
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »
Part 2 --

Cruz is no stranger to the nation’s highest court. As the solicitor general of Texas, he found himself arguing some of the most consequential cases of the last decade. On his Senate webpage, he lists six cases that established “landmark national victories”:

U.S. sovereignty against the United Nations and the World Court in Medellin v. Texas;
    The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms;
    The constitutionality of the Texas Ten Commandments monument;
    The constitutionality of the words “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance;
    The constitutionality of the Texas Sexually Violent Predator Civil Commitment law; and
    The Texas congressional redistricting plan.

Cruz has filed more than 80 briefs in Supreme Court cases, including one defending Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties. Sens. John Cornyn (R–Texas), Mike Lee (R –Utah) and David Vitter (R–La.), also signed that amicus brief.

http://dailysignal.com/2014/03/25/ted-cruz-urges-supreme-court-stand-americans-first-amendment-rights/

...more to come...

The stuff Senator Cruz did, before he became a Senator, and an excellent resume to make him the Senator from TX.  As a Senator, Cruz has jousted some mighty windmills and come back with only a broken lance.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 08:31:07 pm »
Yes please someone list any of Senator Cruz's accomplishments.  I can't think of any.

I'll list only one but it's more than enough for me.
He has done EXACTLY. what he promised to do as a candidate!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 08:54:42 pm »
Wow AbaraXas that took a lot of work...thanks
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:26 pm »
The stuff Senator Cruz did, before he became a Senator, and an excellent resume to make him the Senator from TX.  As a Senator, Cruz has jousted some mighty windmills and come back with only a broken lance.

So YOU say. I happen to think he came away with much more than that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:46 pm »
Naturally I would support Cruz if he won the nomination but I prefer a Gov as a president...as of now my man is Walker...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2015, 09:02:59 pm »
So YOU say. I happen to think he came away with much more than that.

Great!  What?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 09:11:06 pm »
Naturally I would support Cruz if he won the nomination but I prefer a Gov as a president...as of now my man is Walker...
I would support Cruz if he were the nominee.

But Governors seem to be the choice of voters, too. In the available GOP preference polls at this time, 3 of the top 4 are Governors. Bush, Walker, Paul & Huckabee.

That is taken from me, from Real Clear Politics, and from Polling Report. They both accumulate various polls, and over time clear trends and results become obvious to anybody that is interested.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/elections/

http://www.pollingreport.com/index.html

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2015, 09:14:20 pm »
Here we go again.

A half-term Senator with no executive experience and a massive ego decides America just can't live without him.

This sequel will peter out along about North Carolina, if not before.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-brief-things-know-texas-sen-ted-195703405--election.html

White House Brief: Things to know about Texas Sen. Ted Cruz
Associated Press
By The Associated Press 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is set to become the first high-profile Republican to enter the 2016 race for president. Here's a quick snapshot with a few key things to know about Cruz before his announcement Monday.

THE BRIEF

Ted Cruz is man in a hurry. He won election to the Senate in 2012 as a political rookie, riding a tea party wave to upset a candidate with decades of experience and deep connections inside the Republican Party. He's proceeded since with the same disregard for the GOP establishment, at times maneuvering quixotically in the Senate to mount an aggressive opposition to President Barack Obama. It's an approach that has annoyed fellow Republicans — Arizona Sen. John McCain famously labeled Cruz as one of the Senate's "wacko birds" — but Cruz is unapologetic. As he recently told voters in New Hampshire, "If you see a candidate who Washington embraces, run and hide."

RESUME REVIEW

Prior to his election to the Senate, Cruz's career was centered on practicing law at the highest level. A graduate of Harvard Law School and clerk for Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist, Cruz led a Houston-based firm's Supreme Court practice, taught such litigation at the University of Texas and was charged with representing the state before the high court as its solicitor general. He also served in the George W. Bush administration, at both the Federal Trade Commission and as an associate deputy attorney general at the Justice Department.

___

PERSONAL STORY

The son of Cuban immigrant and American mother, Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, on Dec. 22, 1970, while his parents were working in the oil business. He's since renounced his Canadian citizenship, and lawyers from both parties have said they think he's eligible to run for president. He and his wife Heidi, a managing director at Goldman Sachs, live in Houston with their two daughters, Caroline and Catherine. His father is now a Texas pastor who draws plenty of his own attention, saying in the past that Obama is a "Marxist" who should be sent "back to Kenya."

CALLING CARD MOMENT

For 21 hours and 19 minutes in September 2013, Cruz stood in the Senate to urge Congress to cut off money for Obama's health care law. The marathon speech, which included Cruz reading the Dr. Seuss classic "Green Eggs and Ham" to his daughters, said to be watching their father at home, was partly behind a 16-day partial government shutdown the next month. He later joked the speech featured hours of "my favorite sound" — his own voice.

The tactic was a hit among Cruz's tea party supporters, who are excited by his entry into the 2016 race. Cruz "will excite the base in a way we haven't seen in years," said Amy Kremer, the former head of the Tea Party Express. But Cruz's uncompromising approach has won him few friends in the Senate. In December, when Cruz defied party leaders to force a vote on Obama's executive actions on immigrations, he again drew fire: "I fail to see what conservative ends were achieved," said Arizona GOP Sen. Jeff Flake.

READING LIST

"A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Miracle of America" will be released at the end of June. Cruz says the book will feature vignettes about Anwar Sadat, Elie Wiesel and others who "had the courage" to speak out even at risk to themselves. In 2013, a St. Louis publisher also released a children's coloring book, "U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz to the Future," that features a cover with Cruz and a flourishing tea plant whose stalks are stenciled with "Ten Commandments" and "U.S. Constitution." It has leaves that include "Gun rights," ''Free Enterprise," and "Lower Taxes."

Wow..I guess the WH has *briefs* on all the potential GOP candidates..you would think Obama was running again.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:23:48 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 10:41:24 pm »

I think the key thing that win many over, but also set him off to many, is that he takes on issues that many won't take on, especially those that get to DC and drink the water. He still strongly represents the people's voice who elected him. Many, like Eric Cantor, went to DC with similar promises and quickly fell into the 'don't rock the boat' category. Cruz is still willing to fight for things we the people say are important to us. He is representing and fighting for the things we complain about every day, no matter who it pisses off. There are few Senators who don't try to play nice and forget the voters. Too many represent Washington over the people. Cruz still represents the people.

Yes, this will make it an uphill battle as not only will the Dems have their guns out for him, so will many Republicans who like the status quo.

I believe we have shifted so far left and politics has become so much of House of Lords game, that supporting someone who will rock the boat is necessary.

No, he doesn't have everything I want- I want either serious military or executive business leadership. But what he has is political and legal leadership. Out of the field we have now, he is one of the few who either isn't tainted by personal scandal or extreme deal breaker views for many. He isn't perfect, but he fights.
There are others on the list I think would also fit this bill. We'll see how it shakes out.

Offline ABX

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-brief-things-know-texas-sen-ted-195703405--election.html

White House Brief: Things to know about Texas Sen. Ted Cruz
Associated Press
By The Associated Press 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is set to become the first high-profile Republican to enter the 2016 race for president. Here's a quick snapshot with a few key things to know about Cruz before his announcement Monday.

THE BRIEF

Ted Cruz is man in a hurry. He won election to the Senate in 2012 as a political rookie, riding a tea party wave to upset a candidate with decades of experience and deep connections inside the Republican Party. He's proceeded since with the same disregard for the GOP establishment, at times maneuvering quixotically in the Senate to mount an aggressive opposition to President Barack Obama. It's an approach that has annoyed fellow Republicans — Arizona Sen. John McCain famously labeled Cruz as one of the Senate's "wacko birds" — but Cruz is unapologetic. As he recently told voters in New Hampshire, "If you see a candidate who Washington embraces, run and hide."

RESUME REVIEW

Prior to his election to the Senate, Cruz's career was centered on practicing law at the highest level. A graduate of Harvard Law School and clerk for Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist, Cruz led a Houston-based firm's Supreme Court practice, taught such litigation at the University of Texas and was charged with representing the state before the high court as its solicitor general. He also served in the George W. Bush administration, at both the Federal Trade Commission and as an associate deputy attorney general at the Justice Department.

___

PERSONAL STORY

The son of Cuban immigrant and American mother, Cruz was born in Calgary, Alberta, on Dec. 22, 1970, while his parents were working in the oil business. He's since renounced his Canadian citizenship, and lawyers from both parties have said they think he's eligible to run for president. He and his wife Heidi, a managing director at Goldman Sachs, live in Houston with their two daughters, Caroline and Catherine. His father is now a Texas pastor who draws plenty of his own attention, saying in the past that Obama is a "Marxist" who should be sent "back to Kenya."

CALLING CARD MOMENT

For 21 hours and 19 minutes in September 2013, Cruz stood in the Senate to urge Congress to cut off money for Obama's health care law. The marathon speech, which included Cruz reading the Dr. Seuss classic "Green Eggs and Ham" to his daughters, said to be watching their father at home, was partly behind a 16-day partial government shutdown the next month. He later joked the speech featured hours of "my favorite sound" — his own voice.

The tactic was a hit among Cruz's tea party supporters, who are excited by his entry into the 2016 race. Cruz "will excite the base in a way we haven't seen in years," said Amy Kremer, the former head of the Tea Party Express. But Cruz's uncompromising approach has won him few friends in the Senate. In December, when Cruz defied party leaders to force a vote on Obama's executive actions on immigrations, he again drew fire: "I fail to see what conservative ends were achieved," said Arizona GOP Sen. Jeff Flake.

READING LIST

"A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Miracle of America" will be released at the end of June. Cruz says the book will feature vignettes about Anwar Sadat, Elie Wiesel and others who "had the courage" to speak out even at risk to themselves. In 2013, a St. Louis publisher also released a children's coloring book, "U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz to the Future," that features a cover with Cruz and a flourishing tea plant whose stalks are stenciled with "Ten Commandments" and "U.S. Constitution." It has leaves that include "Gun rights," ''Free Enterprise," and "Lower Taxes."

Wow..I guess the WH has *briefs* on all the potential GOP candidates..you would think Obama was running again.

Thanks for keeping the list up. Wife came home with a car full of plants and if I didn't plant them, they would sit in the pots for weeks. Saved me a lot of time.

Offline ABX

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 10:44:40 pm »
I would support Cruz if he were the nominee.

But Governors seem to be the choice of voters, too. In the available GOP preference polls at this time, 3 of the top 4 are Governors. Bush, Walker, Paul & Huckabee.

Out of that, Bush seems to have too many deal breaker issues. I can't figure out where Huckabee's support comes from, he'll be toast. I like Paul and I like Walker and wouldn't have trouble supporting either of them. I think Walker would be excellent as well. Paul may be tainted by his father, for better or worse.
Remember, at this time in 2008, the polls and conventional wisdom said it would be a Hillary v Giuliani race. See how that turned out.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:45:44 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 10:46:31 pm »
Rand Paul would absolutely crush Hillary because he will pull a lot of young voters from her. If Rand Paul runs I am 100% sure the Republicans will win.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:48:31 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline ABX

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 10:51:46 pm »
Rand Paul would absolutely crush Hillary because he will pull a lot of young voters from her. If Rand Paul runs I am 100% sure the Republicans will win.

I don't think Hillary will be the nominee. Probably Warren or O'Malley. The establishment (other than her circle) are tossing her aside and people are just sick of hearing about her. I do agree, Paul would crush her with the younger vote IF he sticks to the issues he has fought for and campaigns on a Liberty platform. That is, if he learns from the mistakes of his father in regards to getting ahead of negative media and chaos in his campaign- including keeping people like Lew Rockwell far, far away from his campaign. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:52:23 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:06 pm »

Paul will have trouble in the primaries. I once supported him, but he's way too soft on terrorism.  I don't see any way a Paul wins a GOP nomination.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »
Paul will have trouble in the primaries. I once supported him, but he's way too soft on terrorism.  I don't see any way a Paul wins a GOP nomination.

That's a shame because he is one of extremely few politicians that would actually do good for this country.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »
I don't think Hillary will be the nominee. Probably Warren or O'Malley. The establishment (other than her circle) are tossing her aside and people are just sick of hearing about her. I do agree, Paul would crush her with the younger vote IF he sticks to the issues he has fought for and campaigns on a Liberty platform. That is, if he learns from the mistakes of his father in regards to getting ahead of negative media and chaos in his campaign- including keeping people like Lew Rockwell far, far away from his campaign.

Warren seems pretty committed to not running and has not shown any sign of possibly changing her mind.
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18:53 pm »
Yeah, except experience educates us that those young people actually don't vote. And the females among them that do vote, will be swayed by the gender aspect, having been indoctrinated from day one by feminist doctrines.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2015, 11:22:12 pm »
Yeah, except experience educates us that those young people actually don't vote. And the females among them that do vote, will be swayed by the gender aspect, having been indoctrinated from day one by feminist doctrines.

I live in a college town and you have no idea how many times over the last year or so I have heard people say "If Rand Paul runs I might actually vote for a Republican." A lot of young people don't vote, but a lot of them do as well. A lot of the ones that don't vote don't do so because they don't feel any candidates represent their opinions. I think Rand would pull in a lot more young people than you think.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:23:30 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2015, 11:29:29 pm »

I totally agree.  The thing is a lot of young people bought Obama's rhetoric and voted for the first time and now they are Santa eligible.  Some won't vote again, but some will and Senator Paul could fill that void and actually get some new blood in the party.

I too am concerned about Senator Paul's stands on foreign policy but I think his positives outweigh his negatives.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2015, 11:33:43 pm »
I live in a college town and you have no idea how many times over the last year or so I have heard people say "If Rand Paul runs I might actually vote for a Republican." A lot of young people don't vote, but a lot of them do as well. A lot of the ones that don't vote don't do so because they don't feel any candidates represent their opinions. I think Rand would pull in a lot more young people than you think.
Nader and Ron Paul typically attract young voters, too. See how they did?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:50 pm »
Nader and Ron Paul typically attract young voters, too. See how they did?

Ron Paul wasn't the Republican nominee. He would have demolished Obama.
-Socrates

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2015, 11:55:55 pm »
One of my concerns with Rand Paul is his foreign policy and national defense views....I will have to look his stance on abortion and military budget view...
Support the USO

Offline Dexter

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 12:00:16 am »
One of my concerns with Rand Paul is his foreign policy and national defense views

Those views are a huge part of why he'd attract so many young voters.
-Socrates