Author Topic: Pelosi: My trip to Syria was nothing like the GOP's Iran letter  (Read 2436 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/235455-pelosi-my-trip-to-syria-was-nothing-like-the-gops-iran-letter

By Mike Lillis - 03/11/15 10:46 PM EDT
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is pushing back hard against conservative claims that the Republicans' recent letter to Iranian leaders, which has infuriated the White House amidst delicate nuclear talks, is akin to her 2007 visit to Syria against the wishes of the Bush administration.

The office of the House minority leader issued a scathing statement Wednesday night saying her meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad was part of a bipartisan effort — conducted through the Bush administration — to negotiate a peace deal with Damascus and accusing the Republicans of launching a "desperate" defense of their Iran letter to mask criticisms coming from both sides of the aisle.

"The desperate hyperventilation by Republicans and conservative talkers over the intense, national backlash to this letter has caused them to search for a Democratic equivalent to the dangerous precedent set by 47 Republican Senators," said Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill. "The fact is, there is simply not one."

The letter, endorsed by all but seven Senate Republicans, is an attempt to undercut a potential nuclear deal being negotiated between Iran, the Obama administration and five other world powers — a deal the Republicans fear will leave the Iranians fully capable of manufacturing nuclear weapons. The Republicans, who are pushing instead for tougher sanctions, warned Iranian leaders that any agreement could be abolished when Obama's term ends less than two years from now.

"The next president could revoke such an executive agreement with the stroke of a pen, and future Congresses could modify the terms of the agreement at any time,” reads the letter, spearheaded by freshman Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.).

But the effort has drawn a backlash from even a number of Republicans, who say it will only embolden the Iranians while leaving the United States in a tougher position to stifle Iran's nuclear program if the talks fail.

“I just didn’t feel that it was appropriate or productive at this point," said Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.). "These are tough enough negotiations as it stands, and introducing this kind of letter I didn’t think would be helpful."

Pushing back, Republicans on and off Capitol Hill have defended the letter by comparing it to Pelosi's 2007 trip to Syria.

"To those upset about #Iran letter, how did you feel when Pelosi went to Syria in 2007 to meet face to face with Assad, against WH wishes?" Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) tweeted Tuesday.

William Kristol, editor of the conservative Weekly Standard, piled on Wednesday, saying the letter is a "useful statement" and invoking Pelosi's Syria visit as a precedent.

"Nancy Pelosi went to see Bashar Assad in 2007," Kristol said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program. "I think that was questionable, but I didn't criticize her patriotism."

The 2007 meeting between Assad and then-Speaker Pelosi came as the Bush administration was opposed to direct talks with the Syrian leader, whose support for terrorist groups led to an official policy of diplomatic isolation.

The visit drew a sharp rebuke from conservatives in and out of the administration. Pat Buchanan, the former Republican presidential candidate, characterized it as a "thumb in the eye of the president of the United States." Gordon Johndroe, a spokesman for President Bush's National Security Council, said the "unilateral trip" was both "unfortunate" and "counterproductive." And then-Vice President Dick Cheney argued that such foreign policy issues are to be handled by the president, not congressional leaders.

"I think it is, in fact, bad behavior on her part," Cheney told Rush Limbaugh at the time. "She doesn't represent the administration. The president is the one who conducts foreign policy, not the Speaker of the House."

On Tuesday’s episode of “The Daily Show,” Jon Stewart highlighted liberals — including Hillary Clinton and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) — who supported Pelosi’s 2007 trip but ripped the GOP’s Iran letter, as well as conservatives — such as John Bolton and Sean Hannity — who criticized Pelosi’s trip but praised today’s Senate Republicans.

Hammill emphasized Wednesday that Pelosi's delegation included then-Rep. David Hobson (R-Ohio), a senior defense appropriator; it was preceded just days earlier by a similar visit to Damascus by GOP Reps. Joseph Pitts (Pa.), Robert Aderholt (Ala.) and former GOP Rep. Frank Wolf (Va.); and Rep. Darrell Issa (Calif.) met with Assad just a day after Pelosi did — a meeting that led Johndroe to comment, "We just don't think this is helpful."

While Pelosi was the most senior U.S. representative, Hammill also noted that she coordinated the visit with support from the administration.

"This visit was organized by the Bush State Department, executed by the Bush Defense Department, and officials from the Bush Administration's Embassy at the time in Damascus even sat in the meeting with President Assad," Hammill said. "As Republican Congressman David Hobson said at the time about the delegation's visit to Syria, 'I think we actually helped the administration's position by showing there's not dissension.'

"The comparison between the Republican Senator letter to Iran and Leader's Pelosi bipartisan delegation to the Middle East in 2007 does not stand up to any level of scrutiny," he charged.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Pelosi: My trip to Syria was nothing like the GOP's Iran letter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:51:32 pm »
meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad was part of a bipartisan effort — conducted through the Bush administration

From all accounts on this incident this is simply not true..the Bush Admin asked her NOT to go!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
What she did - and what Ted Kennedy did in 1983 with the USSR - was much worse and even more clearly violative of the Logan Act. But let's not quibble.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 02:47:21 pm »
What she did - and what Ted Kennedy did in 1983 with the USSR - was much worse and even more clearly violative of the Logan Act. But let's not quibble.

Yes, let's not. The state run media has its narrative.

No one ever said it's easy being republican in a democrat controlled media environment.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 02:50:43 pm »

I strongly disagree!  We should quibble greatly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:13 pm »
I strongly disagree!  We should quibble greatly!

Sarcasm, Bigun, sarcasm.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:55:43 pm »
From all accounts on this incident this is simply not true..the Bush Admin asked her NOT to go!

Exactly right.

Pelosi, as a member of Congress,  met with a head of state directly against the wishes of the Bush administration.

But she lies.

It's what leftists do.

ALL of them.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:56:40 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:57:38 pm »
Exactly right.

Pelosi, as a member of Congress,  met with a head of state directly against the wishes of the Bush administration.

But she lies.

It's what leftists do.

ALL of them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 03:23:25 pm »

Let us not forget our current secretary of state going to Viet Nam to consult with the communists during Viet Nam. :soangry:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:59 pm »
Let us not forget our current secretary of state going to Viet Nam to consult with the communists during Viet Nam. :soangry:

Indeed! We should NEVER forget that!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 05:05:12 pm »
Mucho quibbling.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 05:11:58 pm »

How about this
Senator John Kerry and Senator Tom Harkin during the Cold War met with the communist radical Daniel Ortega in Nicaragua in 1985.
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 06:38:52 pm »
How about this
Senator John Kerry and Senator Tom Harkin during the Cold War met with the communist radical Daniel Ortega in Nicaragua in 1985.

Yeah! That to!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:52 pm »

KERRY HONORED AT COMMUNIST MUSEUM

Photograph hangs in section devoted to war protesters

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2004/06/24870/#JDeks3c67CYDkPm4.99

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 02:14:53 pm »
Why Cotton's letter did not violate Logan Act, at Daily Signal.
On Monday, Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., joined by 46 other Republican senators, published an “open letter” to Iran and its government officials taking the position that an agreement with President Obama over Iran’s nuclear program may not be worth the paper it’s not yet printed on. Some commentators claim the letter violates the Logan Act, its publication is thus a crime, and, in any event, the views it presents are wrong on the merits. Those claims go a bridge too far.

The Logan Act

Let’s start with the Logan Act. That statute is likely a nonissue for (at least) three reasons: First, this was an “open letter” to Iran and its officials and therefore likely would not fall within the terms of the Logan Act.

That statute is concerned with someone who “directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof[.]” An open letter like this one does not “commence[] or carr[y] on any correspondence or intercourse” with a foreign government or official. Correspondence, for example, requires an exchange of communications. Here, there was no such back-and-forth. It is merely a statement of the opinion of several senators as to the legal effect under U.S. law of different types of international agreements. ...
Read the rest at the link.   By Paul Larkin Jr. of the Heritage Foundation.