Author Topic: Hillary Clinton to Democrats: don't you want to see a female president?  (Read 2627 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/04/hillary-clinton-to-democrats-dont-you-want-to-see-a-woman-president

Controversy over use of private email as secretary of state is brushed aside in night of solidarity with progressive movement Emily’s List

At her first public event since voters learned that she used personal email to handle sensitive government business for four years, former secretary of state Hillary Clinton avoided any suggestion or shadow of the scandal, instead delivering a dress rehearsal campaign speech to an audience of pro-choice advocates.

As for her long-deferred announcement about the 2016 presidential race, Clinton did no more than repeat old quips about the difficult question of whether to run for president, at one point asking: “I suppose it’s fair to say: don’t you someday want to see a woman president?”

Speaking before a gala to celebrate 30 years of work by Emily’s List, an organization that supports Democratic, pro-choice women candidates, Clinton did not broach revelations that she may have broken rules regarding state secrets under the Federal Records Act.

She instead tested some likely themes for a 2016 presidential campaign, such as middle-class jobs, stagnant wages and labor rights. She also tried to frame herself – to a crowd that included prominent politicians and celebrities being served seared halibut and chocolate soufflé – as a leader who is intimately familiar with the struggles and preoccupations of everyday Americans. The populist rhetoric, proclaimed at an expensive Washington DC hotel and in light of Clinton’s own tangled relationship with Wall Street and political elites, landed somewhat flat with the otherwise receptive, voluble audience.

The occasional dissonance in Clinton’s speech extended to her attempts at humor. Within 10 minutes Clinton made two jokes about her signature pantsuits and also mentioned the internet meme of an illusive photo of a dress, known simply as “the dress”. “I want to answer one question right at the start before it stirs up too much on Twitter,” she said. “Despite what you might think this outfit is not actually white and gold.

“You know I believe in freedom of thought and expression.”

Clinton’s proto-campaign speech hammered concerns of middle-class Americans, including “outrageous” unequal pay for women, an issue that she said “shortchanged” the economy; labor rights that she said in part created the middle class; college debt and the lack of social mobility for young people; and wage stagnation in contrast to how “CEO pay goes up and up no matter what” and how the “biggest corporations can exploit tax havens overseas but small businesses are held back by outdated red tape”.

“The gains we have made are real but fragile,” she said, implying that a Clinton presidency would continue the economic recovery begun under the Obama administration “to build [a] 21st century economy”.

Noting that Republicans, including likely presidential rival Jeb Bush, have also taken up issues of inequality, Clinton said: “It’s like watching the end of Casablanca.

“In fact we do not want to discourage their newfound interests” she said, “but we’re not buying that trickle-down economics that didn’t work before can ever work again.

“Across our country Americans feel the ground shifting beneath our feet,” Clinton said. “Certainly many of the old rules don’t seem to apply any more.”

Some attendees were disappointed by Clinton’s speech. A Capitol staffer who did not wish to be named said the speech “wasn’t what I’d hoped for” and wished it had been “something more energetic”.

“It was a good speech,” an attendee named Sara told the Guardian, adding: “She had to get into her groove though.” No one who spoke to the Guardian would go on record with their views about Clinton’s use of personal email while in office.

Largely though, the audience welcomed Clinton as a conquering hero who had only formally to announce that she would set forth and conquer. With many congressional colleagues seated together and surrounded by hundreds of activists and friends, the gala had the atmosphere of a reunion celebrating the successes of its many notable alumni.

The California attorney general and Senate candidate Kamala Harris spoke about persistence in the face of prejudice and called for victory in 2016; outgoing senator Barbara Mikulski made a joyous, ferocious call for women to organize politically; Emily’s List founder Ellen Malcolm spoke fondly of the group’s humble origins to the “18 million cracks in the ceiling” created by Clinton’s 2007 primary campaign; Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi and former representative Gabby Giffords spoke proudly of the newest figures of the group; and Senator Al Franken spoke fondly of the lot and cracked jokes whenever able: “First of all, I apologize for being a guy.”

Nearly all called for Clinton to run, and Mikulski, Pelosi and others declared her victory certain. The former secretary laughed at the winking exclamations, nodded seriously at the sober points of speeches, and returned grateful praise to the women who preceded her onstage. Although the many speakers egged her on and injected no small amount of passion, Clinton gave a measured, practised performance, resisting the pull of a crowd eager to fight for her if only she would give the word.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Sure I would love to see a female president as long as the female president is the candidate who is the best for the country.  What a freakin' concept!    :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Millee

Not necessarily, Hildebeast. 

From my own experiences and with talking to my other women friends, the worst bosses we've had have been women.  Women are heartless and mean to other woman.

I look at Hillary and she mirrors all the she-bitches I've worked for.   

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:54:15 pm by Millee »

Offline Relic

Sure I would love to see a female president as long as the female president is the candidate who is the best for the country.  What a freakin' concept!    :patriot:

That's an antiquated idea from an America that is gone.

Now it's all about identity politics. We got a black man. Next we are going to get a woman. Then maybe an Hispanic, etc. The only qualification necessary is to be in the right identity group.

Offline Relic

From my own experiences and with talking to my other women friends, the worst bosses we've had have been women.  Women are heartless and mean to other woman.

I look at Hillary and she mirrors all the she-bitches I've worked for.   

I think it will be Warren. I think Hillary has too much baggage, and is showing her age.

But either way, Warren or Clinton, I've heard self professed Republican women say they will vote for a woman, regardless of party.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

I look at Hillary and she encapsulates all the she-bitches I've worked for.   

The worst boss I ever had was a woman who treated all the women under her like servants.  She was vindictive and would stab you in the back any chance she got.

She didn't treat the men that way.  She was my boss 35 years ago and I hate her to this day. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Millee

The worst boss I ever had was a woman who treated all the women under her like servants.  She was vindictive and would stab you in the back any chance she got.

She didn't treat the men that way.  She was my boss 35 years ago and I hate her to this day.

They're awful and I don't feel comfortable with a woman having the country's best interests at heart.  Just their own ambitions.   :nometalk:

Offline Carling

I think it will be Warren. I think Hillary has too much baggage, and is showing her age.

But either way, Warren or Clinton, I've heard self professed Republican women say they will vote for a woman, regardless of party.

Were you talking to yourself, since you said yesterday you'd vote for a Democrat over an establishment GOP candidate?  It's no surprise to me that you would associate with people of the same mindset, and who vote out of traits other than what's best for the country.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:09:03 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Warren is playing the politics well. She knows it is Hillary's if she wants it. She doesn't want to appear eager, or even to want the position.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

They're awful and I don't feel comfortable with a woman having the country's best interests at heart.  Just their own ambitions.   :nometalk:

Yep!  And like Hillary, my boss got where she was by marrying an influential man.  I want a president that is qualified for the job - I don't care what color or sex they are - I don't even look at that stuff.  To just throw a candidate out there because she is a woman is an insult to me!

Offline aligncare

Tokenism, cronyism, racism, authoritarianism, emotionalism, that's today's democrat party. Oh, and one more. Wholesale stupidity.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hillary's campaign slogan is, I don't have any skills, experience, or qualifications.
So, vote for my vagina! I'm a woman! I have a vagina!!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

Hillary's campaign slogan is, I don't have any skills, experience, or qualifications.

Ewwwwwww!  I don't even want to think about Hillary's vagina!

:3:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
By the way all, I was just watching Kelly and she was losing her mind about Hillary!

The gist of the discussion was, not only is Hillary not going to be President, SHE IS GOING TO JAIL!

They were all breathless at the new information about Hillary and her private servers in her own basement. No to mention all the bribes she received from foreign donors while she was still S.O.S.  Apparently, she has broken at least four of five clearly stated laws by doing all these things. And Kelly is a lawyer.

They were already discussing who her replacement may be?

Hillary is T-O-A-S-T!
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ewwwwwww!  I don't even want to think about Hillary's vagina!

:3:

Neither does Bill....couldn't resist.... :bolt:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Carling

Neither does Bill....couldn't resist.... :bolt:

Bill probably hasn't seen it since before Webb Hubbell knocked up his wife.  Clinton is a horndog, but Hillary is too ugly even for him.  It is, and always has been, a marriage of political convenience.  Hillary came from money and an established family; Bill needed that gravitas.  I'm not judging their marriage, because I know some people in really weird marriages, but there is no way those two have even slept in the same bed in 30 years.

It's Frank and Claire Underwood, if you watch House of Cards.   
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Relic wrote above:
[[ I think it will be Warren. I think Hillary has too much baggage, and is showing her age. ]]

I wonder if over-the-Hillary could -last- eight years in office.

Could she last even four?

Offline evadR

The jury's still out on that one.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline LambertLunatic

Not even a Margaret Thatcher clone? 

Offline evadR

Not even a Margaret Thatcher clone?
There are ALWAYS exceptions!! :)

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What is that weird lilting accent she is putting on? I can't place it. It like half Southern, half something else?

And she does not 'say' this. She sings it for some reason. The whole thing, the quote combined with the creepy singing accent, weirds me out.

Offline mountaineer

We seem to have worked at the same place!   :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

It's like a screech owl with a sore throat.

Offline Relic

Were you talking to yourself, since you said yesterday you'd vote for a Democrat over an establishment GOP candidate?  It's no surprise to me that you would associate with people of the same mindset, and who vote out of traits other than what's best for the country.

Wow, you really have some sand in your ...... don't you?

If the GOP is comprised of ignorant, malevolent morons, such as some I've noticed, your damn right I wouldn't vote for them.

Offline Relic

Tokenism, cronyism, racism, authoritarianism, emotionalism, that's today's democrat party. Oh, and one more. Wholesale stupidity.

The electorate is more than ok with that.