Author Topic: CPAC 2015 Straw Poll: Rand Paul wins again — but Scott Walker is surging  (Read 3518 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/28/cpac-straw-poll-rand-paul-wins-scott-walker-surgin/print/

CPAC 2015 Straw Poll: Rand Paul wins again — but Scott Walker is surging

By Seth McLaughlin and Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Saturday, February 28, 2015

Sen. Rand Paul won The Washington Times/CPAC presidential preference straw poll for the third time in a row while Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker surged to second place, as they trounced the rest of a strong but crowded field of potential candidates Saturday.

Sen. Ted Cruz slipped to third place, down a rung from his showing last year, with retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson in fourth and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush fifth.

The more than 3,000 conservative activists who voted at this year's Conservative Political Action Conference also showed commanding support for legalizing marijuana, with a strong plurality of 41 percent saying it should be legal for recreational use, and another 26 percent saying Americans should be able to at least use it for medicinal purposes with permission of a doctor.

And the activists were overwhelmingly in favor of Congress using its power of the purse to halt President Obama's new deportation amnesty, with more than three-quarters of voters saying they agree — and a stunning 60 percent saying they "strongly agree" with the tactic.

The poll, conducted between Thursday and Saturday at CPAC by Polling Company Inc./WomenTrend pollster Kellyanne Conway, takes the temperature of the grassroots leaders who help shape the minds of conservative voters across the country. The poll showed a conservative movement skeptical of military intervention and eager to undo Mr. Obama's health law and his unilateral immigration moves.

But with less than a year until voters cast ballots in the first presidential primaries and caucuses, the straw poll, taken Thursday to Saturday, is a particularly good test of which presidential candidates have early momentum.

Mr. Paul's third straight win was impressive, though his share of the vote dropped from 31 percent in 2014 to 25.7 percent this year.

"You have to say that Rand Paul did what he had to do when he came here. He fired up his passionate supporters who were out in number as they always are, and he maintained equilibirum with them and held them solid," said Charlie Gerow, a board member of the American Conservative Union, which plays host to CPAC, held this year just outside the beltway in suburban Maryland.

It's still to be seen whether Mr. Paul can translate popularity among conservative activists into votes next year. His father, then-Rep. Ron Paul, won the straw poll twice in the run-up to the 2012 presidential contest, but struggled to win primaries.

Mr. Walker saw the biggest surge in this year's poll, rising from sixth place and 7 percent last year to reach 21.4 percent this year. That was nearly twice the 11.5 percent Mr. Cruz garnered — about the same as his showing last year.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has been trying to regain steam after a rough year, came in 10th with just 2.8 percent support, showing a steep dive from his fourth-place 8-percent showing in 2014.

When first and second choice preferences were combined, Mr. Paul and Mr. Walker were even closer, with 41.5 percent of respondents listing Mr. Paul as in their top two, and 40.8 percent listing Mr. Walker. Mr. Cruz and Mr. Carson trailed with little more than half that support.

Karen Reagan, 38, from Raleigh, N.C., praised Mr. Walker's stand against public labor unions in Wisconsin — a battle that earned him a recall election, which he survived. He has since won a second term, meaning he's won three elections in swing-state Wisconsin in little more than four years.

"I think he is the most unifying figure that this party has had in a couple of decades," she said. "This guy set out to do something in Wisconsin and he had 100,000 people screaming at him, terrorizing him and his family."

"To stand up in the face of that kind of terror and abuse, I am there is just no question where my heart is at," she said.

The 17 names on this year's straw poll already represents somewhat of a winnowing from last year, when more than two dozen names were listed.

Beyond the presidential contest, the poll suggested a continued shift among the conservative activists hear toward a libertarian attitude on marijuana. The 65 percent who said the drug should be legal for medicinal or recreational purposes is a jump of 4 percentage points from 2014's poll.

Asked about the Common Core education standards that have become a flashpoint, 57.6 percent of conservatives at CPAC said they would not be able to vote for a candidate who supported the standards. That is likely to affect Mr. Bush the most — his remarks to the conference this week included a defense of Common Core, even though many of his rivals have backed away from their previous support.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I'm not sure who should get top billing but Walker/Paul 2016 or Paul/Walker 2016 sounds so much better than rat/rat 2016.

I approve CPAC.  I like them both.  I hope they don't beat the crap out of each other.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:10:07 am by Once-Ler »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Bush II went with a wily old seasoned guy. How about Walker/Bolton ?

Or how about Walker/Martinez ? (Too bad she didn't serve in the military)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Bush II went with a wily old seasoned guy. How about Walker/Bolton ?

Or how about Walker/Martinez ? (Too bad she didn't serve in the military)

That's the ticket.

However, watching Jeb Bush hold his own was impressive
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
It could even be Walker/Rubio...senate, big state...or Walker/Kasich.

He has a lot of good options if he can keep the conservative wing intact and in the game.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline mountaineer

He has a lot of good options if he can keep the conservative wing intact and in the game.
Kasich recently has been laying groundwork for a White House run of his own, and so might be amenable to the VP spot. It would lack the geographic diversity many strategists like (Wisconsin, Ohio), though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I'm not sure who should get top billing but Walker/Paul 2016 or Paul/Walker 2016 sounds so much better than rat/rat 2016.

I approve CPAC.  I like them both.  I hope they don't beat the crap out of each other.

Right now it looks like Walker/Paul would be the better ticket from a marketing standpoint.  Walker has more experience and that Midwest self-made thing going for him, and that will make him popular in places like Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Paul has that Pied Piper charm to reel in the Millennials.  I see a path to a plurality with these two.

Purely on ideological grounds, I'd go with Paul/Walker.  But who cares?  I'd love to see either ticket.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Kasich recently has been laying groundwork for a White House run of his own, and so might be amenable to the VP spot. It would lack the geographic diversity many strategists like (Wisconsin, Ohio), though.

If Walker is the nominee I think the Midwest problem will be solved.  The Veep slot would need to help with another demographic, or geographic area.

Offline libertybele

Right now it looks like Walker/Paul would be the better ticket from a marketing standpoint.  Walker has more experience and that Midwest self-made thing going for him, and that will make him popular in places like Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Paul has that Pied Piper charm to reel in the Millennials.  I see a path to a plurality with these two.

Purely on ideological grounds, I'd go with Paul/Walker.  But who cares?  I'd love to see either ticket.

Agreed, Paul may have the "pied piper charm", but if you take into consideration his stance on foreign policy it will sink him (them).  I think a much stronger ticket would be Walker/Cruz. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

If Walker is the nominee I think the Midwest problem will be solved.  The Veep slot would need to help with another demographic, or geographic area.

If we're considering geographic areas that would count Bush out; he's not going to even be able to win his own state.   :silly:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Agreed, Paul may have the "pied piper charm", but if you take into consideration his stance on foreign policy it will sink him (them).  I think a much stronger ticket would be Walker/Cruz.

I think Paul's foreign policy will ultimately be a plus.  A majority of Republicans are pretty sick and tired of neocon foreign policy.  Paul needs to overcome his "weak on defense" reputation, but he is currently the only candidate in the field who is perceived as being a guy who would show John Poindexter the door.  I think Paul's defense reputation is an easier problem to solve than those candidates trying to defend Bush's foreign policy.

There are a large number of disaffected classic liberals in this country who are for a strong, but non-interventionist defense.  Paul is the only candidate in the field who speaks to them.  I could be wrong, but I think Rand Paul will get a lot of votes in this primary, and a lot of eyebrows will be raised.  He appeals to a wide variety of constituencies, from the libertarian/anarchist wing of the Occupy movement to the old grumpy paleocons.  It's those in between who have the problem with him.  lol.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:49:33 pm by massadvj »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I think Walker/Kasich would be a ticket the Dems would find VERY difficult to beat!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Walker was very impressive on FNS this morning.  He adroitly handled a pretty tough interview from Chris Wallace.  I particularly liked the way he smiled throughout.  Very Reaganesque.

Offline evadR

I know we're not supposed to be one issue voters but if there is one issue that can sink a candidate, it's foreign policy.

Is there anyone that thinks Paul can pass that test?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I know we're not supposed to be one issue voters but if there is one issue that can sink a candidate, it's foreign policy.

Is there anyone that thinks Paul can pass that test?

Unfortunately it's not JUST foreign policy!

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/10/rand-paul-slams-voter-id-its-offending-people/][url]http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/10/rand-paul-slams-voter-id-its-offending-people/[/url]

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

Paul is a no-go for me. 

I actually have a weird-feeling reason to like Walker.  He makes some of my relatives' heads explode.  Is that wrong? LOL.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:16:15 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I think Walker/Kasich would be a ticket the Dems would find VERY difficult to beat!

I like Kasich, but he is as interesting to me as a piece of toast.  I know, he's the Governor of an important swing state.  I don't think that will help greatly if they cheat in Ohio like they did in 2012 - and I'm sure they're already working on that. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Paul is a no-go for me. 

I actually have a weird-feeling reason to like Walker.  He makes some of my relatives' heads explode.  Is that wrong? LOL.

If Rand Paul somehow were to get the Republican nomination I would vote for him over any dem but that is the only way he will ever get a vote of mine and I have known the guy since he was in diapers!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Walker was very impressive on FNS this morning.  He adroitly handled a pretty tough interview from Chris Wallace.  I particularly liked the way he smiled throughout.  Very Reaganesque.

Agree.  He handled himself well.  The more I see of him, the more I like him!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I like Kasich, but he is as interesting to me as a piece of toast.  I know, he's the Governor of an important swing state.  I don't think that will help greatly if they cheat in Ohio like they did in 2012 - and I'm sure they're already working on that.

Here's why I kike Kasch as a VICE president for Walker and it goes far beyond his just being the current Governor of Ohio and all that. He is also the former chairman of the  House Budget Committee and the architect of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 which created the only U.S. budget surplus since 1969! He knows his way a round the Washington quagmire like very few others!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

If we're considering geographic areas that would count Bush out; he's not going to even be able to win his own state.   :silly:

Walker won state wide election 3 times in the past 4 years.  Each with successively better margins.

Offline aligncare

I like Rand Paul quite a lot. But, he is after all just a one term senator. And I strongly believe we need  someone with a proven record of success running a big operation like a state.

Plus, we need an aggressive military-minded president. It seems Paul would be too much an isolationist. Which would be fine – I happened to be sympathetic to that position. But, not at this point in history.

I could easily support a former four-star general or Adm. if one were so inclined to run.

Offline Lando Lincoln

I like Rand Paul quite a lot. But, he is after all just a one term senator. And I strongly believe we need  someone with a proven record of success running a big operation like a state.

Plus, we need an aggressive military-minded president. It seems Paul would be too much an isolationist. Which would be fine – I happened to be sympathetic to that position. But, not at this point in history.

I could easily support a former four-star general or Adm. if one were so inclined to run.

There are times I really like Paul.  He is very adept with his political savvy, especially with the under 35 crowd.  But then... no.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline libertybele

As long as we run conservatives and not moderates the DEMS are going to find themselves losing by a landslide.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mass wrote above:
[[ If Walker is the nominee I think the Midwest problem will be solved.  The Veep slot would need to help with another demographic, or geographic area. ]]

Scott Walker/Bobby Jindal.