Author Topic: 6-Year-Old Forced to Eat Lunch Alone After He's 1 Minute Late for School  (Read 2256 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/02/28/6-year-old-forced-eat-lunch-alone-behind-cardboard-divider-after-hes-1-minute-late-school

As seen on Fox and Friends Weekend
Parents are outraged after a six-year-old boy was forced to eat lunch alone behind a cardboard divider, simply because he was one minute late for school.

The mother of first-grader Hunter Cmelo snapped photos of him sitting isolated from the other children during lunch at Lincoln Elementary School in Grants Pass, Oregon.

In the images, Hunter sits next to a cup with the letter "D" for "detention," as he looks at the other children's lunch tables.

Hunter's family says he was humiliated and left crying from the embarrassing public shaming.

His grandmother posted the photos to Facebook. They have been shared thousands of times and hundreds of complaints have since poured in to the school district.

Laura Hoover added 2 new photos — with Curtis Lee Mcguire and 4 others.
984 followers · February 25 at 9:05am · Redwood, OR · Edited ·
This is my grandson, Hunter. He's a little first grader. His momma's car sometimes doesn't like to start right up. Sometimes he's a couple minutes late to school. Yesterday, he was 1 minute late and this is what his momma discovered they do to punish him! They have done this to him 6 times for something that is out of this baby's control! They make a mockery of him in front of the other students! The principal is responsible for this. His mom found him there, crying, and took him home for the day. Anyone want to help me flood this lady principal with calls telling her how inappropriate this is?
(541) 474-5770 Ms Fitzsimmons

School officials explained that the cardboard barrier is part of the principal’s punishment for students who are regularly late for school.

Hunter’s family says he has been tardy several times recently because of his mother’s health issues and car trouble, and it's obviously not the six-year-old's fault.

After receiving many complaints, the school released a statement, saying, "This afternoon, Principal Fitzsimmons was able to meet with both parents to discuss their concerns. We are pleased to report the meeting was productive. The parents' concerns were politely discussed and, ultimately, the issues were resolved."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: 6-Year-Old Forced to Eat Lunch Alone After He's 1 Minute Late for School
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 05:47:52 pm »
"This afternoon, Principal Fitzsimmons was able to meet with both parents to discuss their concerns. We are pleased to report the meeting was productive. The parents' concerns were politely discussed and, ultimately, the issues were resolved."

That's it?....not if this was my child or grandson.

Don't teachers realize how hurtful this is with lasting affects.....geeeez I am still having nightmares of what some nuns did to fellow classmates when I was in school...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »
If the kid's a little truant punk that's one thing, but he can't control what his parents do if he's dependent on them for a ride. They needed to deal with the parent instead of going the fascist jackboot route with the kid.
The Republic is lost.

Offline raml

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:40:31 pm »
When I was in kindergarten a little boy hit me and I hit him back but the teacher just saw me hit him back so I was punished by having a hat put on my head that read dunce hat and then I was put in a corner for 1/2 hour. Even though other students said that the boy had hit me first she ignored what the boy had done. I hated that teacher after that and I have never forgotten that day and I am almost 70yrs old. I didn't learn to not hit back because as far as I was concerned if someone hit me I was going to fight back I just learned life isn't fair at a very early age. This was a public school I went to Catholic schools for 12 years after that and loved the nuns they were always fair and balanced and never did I ever end up hating any of them. I was never made to feel so humiliated like I was kindergarten.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »
I feel bad for the little boy.

Perhaps if his mother knows this has happened because of HER, she will get HER act together and get him to school on time.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 07:20:14 pm »
When I was in kindergarten a little boy hit me and I hit him back but the teacher just saw me hit him back so I was punished by having a hat put on my head that read dunce hat and then I was put in a corner for 1/2 hour. Even though other students said that the boy had hit me first she ignored what the boy had done. I hated that teacher after that and I have never forgotten that day and I am almost 70yrs old. I didn't learn to not hit back because as far as I was concerned if someone hit me I was going to fight back I just learned life isn't fair at a very early age. This was a public school I went to Catholic schools for 12 years after that and loved the nuns they were always fair and balanced and never did I ever end up hating any of them. I was never made to feel so humiliated like I was kindergarten.

I am glad you had all good experiences with nuns..I did to for the most part..but there were a few instances in grade school that I will never forget that bordered on sadistic....
Support the USO

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »
The mother of first-grader Hunter Cmelo snapped photos of him sitting isolated from the other children during lunch at Lincoln Elementary School in Grants Pass, Oregon.

Oregon is one of the most liberal and least religious States in the Union.

You now have a visual illustration of visual tolerance and acceptance.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:11:29 pm »
This is a ridiculous punishment. Segregating a small child from his peers is not going to teach him to not be late.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 09:22:07 pm »
This poor little boy will never forget the humiliation of this moment.

A punishment like this for a six year old is obscene.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 09:28:58 pm »
This poor little boy will never forget the humiliation of this moment.

A punishment like this for a six year old is obscene.

A punishment like that for anybody is obscene. Separating him from the other kids for certain infractions might not be obscene, but the barrier to prevent him from looking at the other children is about humiliation; it serves the same purpose as a dunce cap.
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 09:31:52 pm »
Betcha they would not have done that, had it been a black child.   :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »

If that child had been black it would be a national controversy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:35:24 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 09:38:50 pm »
I am glad you had all good experiences with nuns..I did to for the most part..but there were a few instances in grade school that I will never forget that bordered on sadistic....

Story time?
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 10:36:41 pm »

That's because the principal knows that if he does that to a black kid, his Grandma is going to come kick his ass up and down the hallways. 
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »
Story time?

I have one.  LOL!

Fourth Grade, age 10.  Sister Mary Louise.  Sisters of Mercy.  Habit like Shirley MacLaine in Two Mules for Sister Sara.

Sister Louise was a no-nonsense nun, whom nobody every saw smile.

We had a boy in our class that was much older than the rest of us.  He was larger and a poor student who was kept back more than once.  School just wasn't his thing and at 13, he back-talked and dared the nuns to discipline him.

We were in a fire drill line in the hallway.  Thomas Crain acted up and LOL'd when she told him to keep quiet and get back in line.

She walked down the row and without hesitation, flipped him over her back slamming him to the floor.

From a ten year old's POV, that was freaking awesome! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:06 pm »
Sisters of Notre Dame...habits looked like this

One incident that I will never forget...6th grade...boy across the room made a smart aleck comment and Sister Scholastica took her pointer and hit him across the back of the head and she hit him so hard the pointer snapped in half....I remember telling my mom about it after school and she took the Sister's side..back then the nuns could do no wrong.....she later changed her mind but that's another story..lol
Support the USO

Offline flowers

Same here. We had one nun that was insane.