Author Topic: Rudy Giuliani's Obama critique puts 2016ers in a bind  (Read 1131 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rudy Giuliani's Obama critique puts 2016ers in a bind
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/19/politics/giuliani-obama-love-of-country-2016/index.html

Alexandra Jaffe, CNN

Updated 10:43 AM ET, Sat February 21, 2015

Washington (CNN)Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani's comments that he doesn't think President Barack Obama "loves America" have put potential Republican presidential contenders in a bind, caught between a desire to criticize the President and the need to respect the office of the presidency.

By Friday, a trio of Republicans had distanced themselves from the personal knock on Obama while maintaining Giuliani's intended critique — which they suggested was aimed at the president's foreign policy — was valid. But one leading GOP senator, Kentuckian Rand Paul, went farther, overtly criticizing Giuliani and calling it a "mistake to question peoples' motives."

Paul's office had initially declined to comment on the controversy. But in an interview with CNN affiliate WAVE in Louisville, Paul was asked about the former New York Mayor's statements.

"I think it's a mistake to question people's motives," he replied. "It's one thing to disagree on policy," Paul added, noting that he and Kentucky Democratic Rep. John Yarmuth "don't always agree," but when they do "we acknowledge our agreement."

"But I don't question his motives. And I try not to question the president's motives as being a good American or a bad American," Paul added.

His critique of Giuliani comes as little surprise, as the two have longstanding bad blood between them, dating back to the former New York mayor's rivalry with Rand's father, former Rep. Ron Paul, during the 2008 GOP presidential primary.

But Paul went on to make the case that while he's been critical of Obama's policies, he's never questioned his intentions.

"I've challenged his policies. I've disagreed with him completely on the war in Libya. I blame him and Hillary [Clinton] for something that made us less safe because of the war in Libya. But I don't question whether or not he was well-intentioned," he said.

Other Republicans struck a similar tone on the comments, which Giuliani made at a private dinner with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and a handful of reporters and others. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, one of the party's biggest hawks and an ardent critic of Obama's foreign policy, said while he couldn't examine someone's "soul," he believes Obama's patriotism is sound.

"I am not Dr. Phil. I don't know how to look into somebody's eyes and find out what their soul's up to," he said, but added that he doesn't "question [the president's] patriotism or love for our country."

That doesn't mean, however, that he approves of what Obama's done in office.

"His policies are putting our country at risk. His primary job is to defend America, and he's failing miserably," Graham said.

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio on Thursday told the Associated Press that while he has "no doubt" Obama loves America, "I just think his policies are bad for our nation." His fellow Floridian, former Gov. Jeb Bush, echoed that sentiment in a Friday statement from spokeswoman Kristy Campbell.

"Governor Bush doesn't question President Obama's motives. He does question President Obama's disastrous policies," she said.

But Rubio perhaps best summarized the sentiments of his party when he lambasted the question itself during a Friday interview with Florida affiliate WPBF.

"I don't feel like I'm in a position to have to answer for everyone in my party who makes a claim," he said. "Democrats aren't asked to answer every time Joe Biden says something embarrassing. So I don't know why I should answer every time a Republican does."

"I will suffice it to say," he added, "I believe the president loves America. His ideas are bad."

Others chose to avoid the issue altogether. On Thursday, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said on CNBC that "I'm not going to comment on what the president thinks or not, he can speak for himself."

During a Friday interview with CNN, Walker was again insistent on not weighing in on the controversy.

I love America. That's the only person that I can comment on is, what I think. And I think America is a great, exceptional country and I think the president is perfectly capable of answering that himself," he said.

GOP strategist Ford O'Connell said the difficulty for Republican presidential candidates lies in the attraction of taking aim at the President's policies, which Americans are widely unhappy with, but avoiding taking aim at the President himself.

"Regardless of political party, no one wants to criticize the sitting President in that way because it can be taken the wrong way by a lot of people," he said.

"But there is a concern and an alarm out there about the nature of this threat we're facing in the Middle East," O'Connell added, referencing a CNN/ORC poll out this week that showed a majority of Americans disapprove of Obama's handling of ISIS and foreign policy.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, another potential presidential contender, was perhaps most aggressive in walking that line. He acknowledged Giuliani "should have chosen different phraseology for his remarks."

"The level of the President's love for our country is immaterial at this juncture," Jindal said, adding though, that Giuliani's intended attack was "true."

"The gist of what Mayor Giuliani said -- that the President has shown himself to be completely unable to speak the truth about the nature of the threats from these ISIS terrorists — is true," Jindal said in a statement.

O'Connell warned other Republicans to take an approach similar to Jindal's, and be cautious of how they frame their attacks on the President.

"It's not what you say, it's what [the voters] hear," he said.

Democrats seized on the comments as further evidence of how extreme the Republican Party can be. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said at the DNC's winter meeting it was fine for the parties to disagree and debate over policy.

"But for them, it's more than that. It's personal, and it's ugly, and there's no sign of it getting better," she said.

She called on the developing GOP presidential field to "stand up, say, 'enough.'"

"I would challenge my Republican colleagues and anyone in the Republican Party to say enough. They need to start leading," she said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Rudy Giuliani's Obama critique puts 2016ers in a bind
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:24:49 pm »
Bush Hates America - 11,900,000 results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bush+hates+america&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Republicans Hate America - 3,240,000 results including their own website. http://republicanshateamerica.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=republicans+hate+america&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

it is ok when they say it?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:30:33 pm »

BS!! Of the 100% USDA choice variety!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »
Just pull out this video.  According to Obama's own definition, he isn't a patriot.   :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »
CNN is at full throttle defending their Messiah
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:47:11 pm »
This is nonsense.  Rudy did them all a favor.  He called the bastard out.  Now, the candidates with serious intent can use it as they need.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:03:35 pm »
Just pull out this video.  According to Obama's own definition, he isn't a patriot.   :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kuTG19Cu_Q

Nope.....his excuse would be that GWB did not have to deal with the financial Doomsday 'crisis'  Which, as we know coincidentally transpired only 8 weeks prior to the 08 election.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 06:17:04 pm »
This is nonsense.  Rudy did them all a favor.  He called the bastard out.  Now, the candidates with serious intent can use it as they need.
Quite a nice setup pass. Only Rand Paul fumbled the pass, so to speak.

Paul is so intent on being a 3rd way, intellectual option, chasing the 42% independents, but he is losing ground, not gaining ground.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »

Exactly.   

Rudy may have "...awakened a sleeping giant!", as a famous Japanese Admiral once said not too long ago.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »
But Paul went on to make the case that while he's been critical of Obama's policies, he's never questioned his intentions.

And this may be your greatest problem, Rand.  It makes you look weak and cowardly, and frankly, a little stupid.

It's Obama's 'intentions' that SHOULD be questioned.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 11:28:07 pm »
AdolfJoeBiden™ ‏@Bidenshairplugs  · 8h 8 hours ago 

#ObamaLovesAmerica as much as his own father loved him.

:laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 11:41:58 pm »
The clamor that Rudy has started needs to be backed up by top leaders and speakers of BOTH parties.

IMO, a high ranking Democrat could become a darling if he/she were to convincingly abandon and call out Barack Obama.

...but he/she won't.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 08:57:58 am »
You can respect the office without respect the man.  And the man is beneath contempt.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 12:35:48 pm »
The article is crap.  The voters spoke loudly and very clearly during the mid term elections; they want the failed policies and presidential overreach to stop.  It is up to the GOP to deliver.  The DEMS are counting on them to fail and unfortunately, so far they have.  The GOPe needs to realize that not only do they stand to lose the oval office, but their majority as well.  I still think that there is a slight chance that you could see a 3rd party leader emerge at the last minute and capture the oval office.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »
The article is crap.  The voters spoke loudly and very clearly during the mid term elections; they want the failed policies and presidential overreach to stop.  It is up to the GOP to deliver.  The DEMS are counting on them to fail and unfortunately, so far they have.  The GOPe needs to realize that not only do they stand to lose the oval office, but their majority as well.  I still think that there is a slight chance that you could see a 3rd party leader emerge at the last minute and capture the oval office.

I don't believe the GOP will lose the House simply as a matter of demographics and "gerrymandering".  The Senate could flip in the 2016 for the same reason it went GOP in 2014.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:07:57 pm »
The best thing the GOP has going for them in 2016 is they are not Barack Obama.  Very weak tea.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 01:15:09 pm »
We keep flipping the same coin, and expecting a different result.

Heads i win,
Tails you lose.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.