Author Topic: Maryland Senate votes to raise maximum speed limit to 70 mph  (Read 759 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• Is BUTTCHEEKS one word or do you spread them apart
Maryland Senate votes to raise maximum speed limit to 70 mph
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:01:15 pm »
Maryland Senate votes to raise maximum speed limit to 70 mph
Timothy Wheeler

The top speed on some Maryland highways could go to 70 miles per hour under a bill passed by the Senate Thursday.
lRelated Maryland highways speed limit [Poll]

The measure carried by a vote of 39 to 7, with dissenters warning increasing speed limits could cause more crashes and traffic fatalities.
Live traffic updates

Sen. George C. Edwards, a Garrett County Republican and the bill's sponsor, said the bill authorizes but does not require the State Highway Administration to raise speed limits on some interstates and expressways.  Most interstate highways are built to handle vehicles going 70 miles per hour, he said, noting that neighboring Pennsylvania and West Virginia already have that as their top speed.

"Most people go what they consider a safe speed," Edwards said.

But Sen. James Brochin, a Baltimore County Democrat, warned that speed is often a factor in traffic crashes and fatalities. He argued that many drivers already go up to 75 or 76 mph now on highways with 65-mph speed limits, believing they can go that fast and avoid getting a speeding ticket. Raising the limit to 70 mph will encourage those drivers to go 81 or 82 mph, Brochin predicted.

"I just think it's too fast," Brochin said. "Speed kills."

More at:  http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-md-senate-votes-to-raise-maximum-speed-limit-to-70-mph-20150219-story.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Re: Maryland Senate votes to raise maximum speed limit to 70 mph
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:03:23 pm »
By raising the legal speed limit to something like 70 mph they will have very little opposition to installing speed cameras that will be set with a maximum of 5 mph over the limit before it takes your license plate picture.....and sends you a bill for $100.

Have a nice day.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »
By raising the legal speed limit to something like 70 mph they will have very little opposition to installing speed cameras that will be set with a maximum of 5 mph over the limit before it takes your license plate picture.....and sends you a bill for $100.

Have a nice day.

You're right.  My husband got a notice from the State of Florida (accompanied by a picture of a car) that said a camera caught him going through a toll express gate - without having paid to use that gate - something like that!  All kinds of threats and stuff if he didn't pay the ticket in like 10 days.

It wasn't his car.

He wasn't even in Florida.

It wasn't his license plate number.  Our local police looked at the number and said - Kentucky doesn't have that many digits on their plates.  He looked it up - it was a car registered to someone in Ohio. 

This was going to go on his driving record.  He had to call some place in Georgia that handles these things for Florida - to get this straightened out, corrected and off of his record.

They made a mistake.

Oops.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 11:00:36 pm »
I watch "How it's Made"....sometimes for a couple of hours.  LOL!

One of these days, I'm going to invent a contraption that enables your license plate to instantly change...in the blink of an eye.

....soon as you click a button connected on your steering wheel.   

Like they said up top...MOST people drive at what they consider to be a safe...prudent speed. 

Usually, that speed is 10-15 mph over the posted limit.  I'm speaking about highways...not city streets.

This is all about creating revenue for the State.  And we all know we feel about them.   :laugh:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:08 pm »
I watch "How it's Made"....sometimes for a couple of hours.  LOL!

Me too!  I like the food segments the best...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:37:56 pm »
Me too!  I like the food segments the best...    :silly:

I'd rather not 'see' the ingredients in some things being made....kind of like seeing sausage made.   :laugh:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 11:41:50 pm »
Meanwhile in Texas

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:36:17 am »
Meanwhile in Texas

I LOVE driving in Texas!

You get everywhere so fast!

(Except, of course that it's so far from anywhere to anywhere else.  ^-^)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 05:40:19 am »
Meanwhile in Texas

Well, come on, man!!

Pic looks like you could fall asleep going 85....and not hit anything!   :whistle: