Author Topic: House bills would legalize recreational marijuana  (Read 342 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House bills would legalize recreational marijuana
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/regulation/233368-house-bill-would-legalize-recreational-marijuana

By Tim Devaney - 02/20/15 03:43 PM EST

Marijuana would be legalized for recreational purposes and taxed like tobacco and alcohol under new legislation in the House.

The Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol Act reintroduced Friday by Rep. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) would remove pot from a list of federally banned drugs.

Meanwhile, the Marijuana Tax Revenue Act, a companion bill from Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), would establish a federal tax structure for recreational pot but not medical marijuana.

“It’s not just the people who use marijuana, but a lot of other people are recognizing that it’s insane to shuffle billions of dollars to Mexican drug cartels when we could just be taxing it,” Blumenauer told The Hill.

Blumenauer’s bill would initially tax recreational marijuana at 10 percent and gradually raise the rate to 25 percent. But it would not tax medical marijuana at the federal level.

The federal government could make $10 billion annually between the marijuana taxes it collects and the money it saves by not locking people up for possession of pot, Blumenauer estimates.

“The federal prohibition of marijuana has been a failure, wasting tax dollars and ruining countless lives,” Blumenauer said.

The marijuana bills, which were both introduced Friday while lawmakers are on recess, failed to gain traction in the last Congress, but Blumenauer believes pot politics is changing and, even Republicans may be warming up to the idea.

"There’s little doubt in my mind that we’ve turned the corner on this,” he said.

Pot advocates say marijuana reform is long overdue. Tom Angell, chairman of Marijuana Majority, said this legislation would stop “drug warriors” at the Drug Enforcement Administration from going after people who use pot in states where it is legal.

“It’s time for our federal representatives to come to grips with the fact that marijuana is safer than alcohol and most people think it should be treated that way,” added Dan Riffle, director of federal policies for the Marijuana Policy Project.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: House bills would legalize recreational marijuana
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:12 pm »
George Harrison was right in his 1966 song, "Taxman."

Apparently both parties, if they win a point, are prepared to tax the joint!!

"Let me tell you how it will be
 There's one for you, nineteen for me
 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
 Be thankful I don't take it all
 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
 If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
 If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
 If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
 If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
 Declare the pennies on your eyes
 And you're working for no one but me. "
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:49:19 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

Re: House bills would legalize recreational marijuana
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:15:24 pm »
I don't see the legalization of marijuana happening nationwide anytime soon.  Big pharma and attorneys stand to lose way too much money.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.