Author Topic: GOP struggles with Homeland Security strategy  (Read 1579 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP struggles with Homeland Security strategy
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:32:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/232230-gop-struggles-with-homeland-security-strategy

By Scott Wong and Rebecca Shabad - 02/09/15 06:09 PM EST

Republicans are scrambling to figure out how to avert a shutdown at the Homeland Security Department while gutting President Obama’s immigration actions.

GOP leaders probably won’t settle on a path forward until after next week’s President’s Day recess — right before funding runs out on Feb. 27.

The GOP’s task has grown more complicated in recent weeks amid renewed threats from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), which Democrats have sought to capitalize upon.
On the Senate floor Monday, Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) brought the terrorism threat front and center, describing in graphic detail how a Jordanian pilot was burned alive for 22 minutes at the hands of ISIS. The group has “bragged” it’s coming for America next, Reid said.

“Now, we are 18 days away from having no money for the Department of Homeland Security,” said Reid, who called for the GOP to bring up a “clean” funding stripped of measures attacking Obama’s immigration executive actions. “Republicans are hell-bent on playing chicken with our national security.”

The recent terror activity has shifted the media spotlight away from the fight over Obama’s unilateral actions shielding up to 5 million illegal immigrants from deportation.

Obama will spark more debate over terrorism beginning Wednesday when he sends lawmakers his request to use military force against ISIS. The request will be rigorously debated in a series of hearings on both sides of the Capitol.

The GOP’s next step on DHS funding is unclear. During three separate votes last week, Senate Democrats filibustered the House-passed spending bill, objecting to two GOP riders aimed at rolling back Obama’s executive actions that make it easier for illegal immigrants to stay in the country. 

Republicans in both the House and Senate are now waiting for the other chamber to go first. Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) recently declared: “The House did its work,” adding that it’s time for the Senate “to get their act together.”

But Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) isn’t telegraphing his next move. And other GOP senators say the ball now lies in the House’s court.

“We are unable to get on this bill to amend it. And a result of that, the House is going to have to send us another bill that we can get on,” said Sen. Jim Risch (R-Idaho).

As the end-of-the-month deadline looms, options to fund the agency are becoming increasingly limited:

·      Republicans could abandon their efforts to use the DHS funding bill as the vehicle to torpedo Obama’s immigration actions, and instead turn to the court system. Some GOP aides point out that the underlying $40 billion bill, authored by Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), has things in it conservatives should like, such as more money for Customs and Border Protection, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Secret Service, as well as thousands more detention beds for Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Still, this would be a dramatic climb-down difficult for conservatives in the House to accept.

·     Congress could kick the can down the road and pass another short-term funding bill, known as a continuing resolution (CR), to keep the department funded past the Feb. 27 deadline. That CR could be as short as 30 days, buying Republicans a bit more time to figure out how to fight Obama’s immigration moves.

·     If Senate Republicans and Democrats can work out a compromise funding bill soon, it could be merged with the House-passed DHS bill in a conference committee. But those House-Senate negotiators would have to move fast with the deadline quickly approaching.

If none of those options work, the DHS would shut down, which would set off a blame game in the media.

Just as with the 16-day government shutdown of 2013, Democrats would have the advantage of the bully pulpit. Both Obama and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson have already warned that a shutdown would be catastrophic for national security. Over the weekend, Johnson said 30,000 workers would be furloughed if the department closed down.

Republicans believe the American public will find Obama at fault this time around, but they also don’t want to be seen as being soft on terrorism.

House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-Calif.) said he’ll hold a hearing on Thursday examining the threat from ISIS. During an interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation” Sunday, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Mike McCaul (R-Texas) warned about ISIS-trained fighters striking American targets but didn’t mention the quandary over DHS funding.

And in an op-ed Monday, McCaul said that Obama’s spending priorities show he’s more concerned with combating global warming than homegrown terrorism.

“I hope that’s the way you write the story, and not that it’s Republicans’ [fault],” conservative Rep. Raúl Labrador (R-Idaho), an immigration attorney, told reporters. “The president is willing to put the national security of the United States at risk so he can grant 5 million people legal status.”

Senate Republican Conference Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) told reporters late Monday a CR is always an option, but might not be needed if the House reconsiders their strategy.

"That's always, as you know, a possibility around here," he said, chuckling, "but I think it's going to come down to if the House figures out what they can move, because clearly we don't have a bill over here. Appropriations bills originate in the House and it's been demonstrated now that we're not going to get the votes that are necessary to move it through the Senate."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: GOP struggles with Homeland Security strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:17:55 am »
Is there anyone on this boardwho didn't know that the Republicans would be forced to bend on shutting down DHS?

Reid let DHS be singled out of the appropriations bill because he KNEW the Democrats could buffalo Republicans on it. Now, with ISIS raging and terrorist incidents in France, it's easy to scare the public about not funding that department.

Even with both Houses of Congress, it is simply not possible to defund anything.  Democrats can always filibuster bills and Obama can veto them. So the courts are the only recourse for Obamacare or immigration.

Or electing a REpublican president and keeping the Congress.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 12:27:34 am »
Is there anyone on this boardwho didn't know that the Republicans would be forced to bend on shutting down DHS?

Reid let DHS be singled out of the appropriations bill because he KNEW the Democrats could buffalo Republicans on it. Now, with ISIS raging and terrorist incidents in France, it's easy to scare the public about not funding that department.

Even with both Houses of Congress, it is simply not possible to defund anything.  Democrats can always filibuster bills and Obama can veto them. So the courts are the only recourse for Obamacare or immigration.

Ideology alone cannot overcome votes and vetoes.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:22:27 am »

The democrats have been out maneuvering the republicans for almost 7 years now on every issue.  This is what worries me about the next election.  If the republicans don't wise up and play just as dirty and smart, they are going to lose.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:59 am »
The democrats have been out maneuvering the republicans for almost 7 years now on every issue.  This is what worries me about the next election.  If the republicans don't wise up and play just as dirty and smart, they are going to lose.

The GOPe is NOT being out maneuvered by anyone! What they ARE doing is playing you in trying to make you think they are trying to do something about a thing they had no intention of doing anything about to begin with! Their big money donors want illegal immigration to continue unabated and that is what they shall have!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:46:29 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:55 am »
What they ARE doing is playing you in trying to make you think they are trying to do something about a thing they had no intention of doing anything about to begin with!

My head hurts now... thanks.  9999what

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 04:07:47 am »
Almost 30 years ago, Ronald Reagan struggled with a difficult problem; millions of illegal aliens in the country and many more coming in daily.

Reagan came up with what he believed to be the only viable solution: the government would grant amnesty to millions and secure the borders to stop more from coming in.

Ronald Reagan, the bellwether of conservatism, the greatest President in my lifetime (to date), the patron saint of conservatism, saw that he had no other choice but to grant amnesty to those already here, as part of a two-front solution to the problem of illegal immigrants in the US.

Reagan actually faced a smaller problem than what we face now. The numbers of illegal aliens in the US were much smaller then. So, in essence, the greatest conservative of several generations, faced with a smaller problem than the one that exists today, realized that the only true solution available to him was the one solution that no conservative today will accept.

That tells you that there is no other solution than trying to do what Reagan tried doing back in 1986, the difference being that this time Congress has to deliver on their half of the bargain and secure those borders. Something that wasn't done the last time this was tried.

I disagree with one thing here.

It's not so much that the GOP is doing a head bob on the immigration issue. What they're doing is two-fold:

• Keeping the issue alive as a source of funds and votes.
  • Avoiding pointing out that amnesty (in one form or another) is inevitable and the only option available on what to do about the millions here illegally, because doing so will cost them their seats.

There will probably be the obligatory NO AMNESTY EVER! post after this comment.

I'd like to point out that what we have now, this impasse, is de facto amnesty.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 04:43:35 am »
Bigun wrote above:
[[ The GOPe is NOT being out maneuvered by anyone! What they ARE doing is playing you in trying to make you think they are trying to do something about a thing they had no intention of doing anything about to begin with! Their big money donors want illegal immigration to continue unabated and that is what they shall have! ]]

Your assessment is probably more accurate.

If so, it portends a dark future, particularly for the 50% or so of Americans who still expect that the nation operates under a republican form of government, and that elected officials are supposed to represent those who voted for them, at least superficially...

Luis also wrote:
[[ I'd like to point out that what we have now, this impasse, is de facto amnesty. ]]

I'm fine with that.
Let's keep it that way.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:13:48 am »
I'd like to point out that what we have now, this impasse, is de facto amnesty.

Good Post.