Author Topic: OHIO GOV. JOHN KASICH SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING RUN FOR PRESIDENT  (Read 4674 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
OHIO GOV. JOHN KASICH SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING RUN FOR PRESIDENT
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:34:55 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/01/22/ohio-gov-john-kasich-seriously-considering-run-for-president/

by WARNER TODD HUSTON  22 Jan 2015  Cleveland, OH0
Last year, Ohio’s Republican Governor, John Kasich, frequently tamped down talk that he might run for president, but as the new year has dawned, Kasich seems to be changing his tune and is now hinting openly about a possible run for the White House.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer recently reported that during a tour through South Dakota Kasich suddenly opened the door to running, saying, “If I think something else makes sense, if I think the field is lacking or there’s an opportunity, I’ll look at it. All my options are open.”

This is a far cry from his constant claims last year as he ran for re-election to the governor’s mansion that he was only interested in serving Ohio. Last March, for instance, Kasich said flat out that he was “not interested” in running for president in 2016.

The governor’s visit to South Dakota, though, seems to have erased his earlier seemingly unambiguous claims to the contrary.

It is beginning to look like murmurs of amazement at his 30-point margin of victory in last year’s election being heard behind the scenes might ultimately be turning his head from the state capital in Columbus to Washington, D.C.

Just after Kasich won re-election last year, for instance, Republican Governors Association Chairman and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said that Kasich’s “extraordinary win” makes him an ideal governor to serve as an incubator for GOP policies.

“John Kasich is a really compassionate guy who I think has put forward some very forward-thinking policies in Ohio,” Christie said. “People haven’t noticed Ohio as much last night because it was such a big win but that’s a great job by John Kasich and an affirmation of his policies.”

But Kasich has also undergone some criticism. He has been slammed for expanding Medicaid in his state despite saying that he wouldn’t. He has sustained criticism for saying that a repeal of Obamacare was “not gonna happen.” And he has also been criticized for embracing the left’s Common Core education scheme.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: OHIO GOV. JOHN KASICH SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING RUN FOR PRESIDENT
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:14 pm »
Has To Hoefling declared yet?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 09:17:01 pm »
Not perfect, but Kasich is a fine governor who's done amazing things for this state.

I'd back him.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:32:18 pm »
I'm not so sure about him.  His neutral stance on immigration is concerning.  He is considered a Libertarian-leaning conservative.  I still believe that in order for the GOP to win the oval office in 2016 we need a strong conservative not a moderate.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:09 pm »
I'm not so sure about him.  His neutral stance on immigration is concerning.  He is considered a Libertarian-leaning conservative.  I still believe that in order for the GOP to win the oval office in 2016 we need a strong conservative not a moderate.

Will you please share what you believe to be a "strong conservative," and then juxtapose that to what you believe to be a "moderate?"

I keep seeing these labels thrown out potential 2016 candidates, but for the life of me, I don't know what they actually mean.  Also, what does "neutral ... on immigration" mean? 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:39:30 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 09:56:27 pm »
Tough I feel like I'm being baited (obviously) - perhaps this will help you.

http://www.ontheissues.org/VoteMatch/candidate_map.asp?a1=5&a2=2&a3=5&a4=1&a5=1&a6=2&a7=1&a8=5&a9=1&a10=1&a11=4&a12=1&a13=1&a14=5&a15=3&a16=1&a17=4&a18=2&a19=3&a20=3&i1=1&i2=1&i3=1&i4=1&p=25&e=83&t=10

Someone that is "moderate" is someone who takes a "middle of the road" stance on issues; someone who has views that are not fully conservative, yet not fully liberal which in reality they could possibly be persuaded to vote either way depending on the circumstance.

A strong conservative is one who adheres to the Republican platform and to the very principles upon which this country was founded; adherence to the Constitution.

https://gop.com/platform/we-the-people/

Neutral on immigration is just what "neutral" implies; neither for or against illegal immigration.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:58:00 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:50 pm »
Has To Hoefling declared yet?

I'm eternally vigilant while waiting for him to turn the 2016 race upside down when he declares!

Offline Carling

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 10:15:09 pm »

http://www.ontheissues.org/VoteMatch/candidate_map.asp?a1=5&a2=2&a3=5&a4=1&a5=1&a6=2&a7=1&a8=5&a9=1&a10=1&a11=4&a12=1&a13=1&a14=5&a15=3&a16=1&a17=4&a18=2&a19=3&a20=3&i1=1&i2=1&i3=1&i4=1&p=25&e=83&t=10

Someone that is "moderate" is someone who takes a "middle of the road" stance on issues; someone who has views that are not fully conservative, yet not fully liberal which in reality they could possibly be persuaded to vote either way depending on the circumstance.

A strong conservative is one who adheres to the Republican platform and to the very principles upon which this country was founded; adherence to the Constitution.

Neutral on immigration is just what "neutral" implies; neither for or against illegal immigration.

I'm not baiting you on anything.  I still don't understand what a "moderate" is, other than a label that seems to take many shapes and forms.  I've been branded a "moderate," and I actually accept it, yet I don't have wishy-washy views that may cause me to vote one way or another depending on which day it is.  I know what my beliefs are, and I'm comfortable in them.  It seems like an insult to say that a "moderate" is someone who will vote either way.  Are you talking GOP moderate, or just moderates in general?  Because I'm pretty sure none of the other so-called "GOP moderates" here would ever be persuaded to vote for a Democrat, regardless of what they say.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:18:19 pm by Carling »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:25:04 pm »
Not perfect, but Kasich is a fine governor who's done amazing things for this state.

I'd back him.

I'd vote for a halve eaten jar of Vegemite over what we have at present!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:50:41 pm »
I'm eternally vigilant while waiting for him to turn the 2016 race upside down when he declares!

hehe............

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:16:44 pm »

Someone that is "moderate" is someone who takes a "middle of the road" stance on issues; someone who has views that are not fully conservative, yet not fully liberal which in reality they could possibly be persuaded to vote either way depending on the circumstance.j

Who exactly identifies where that middle of the road is?

What's the definition of "fully conservative" and who decides that?

"A strong conservative is one who adheres to the Republican platform."-

Seeing as to how the Republican platform is crafted by the dreaded GOPe, how can a "wrong conservative" strictly adhere to it and remain a "strong conservative"?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:17:54 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:10 am »
Interesting perspectives.  TEA is alive and well, but depending on what the GOPe can accomplish and IF they can deliver on curtailing Obama policy will determine if they keep their majority in both the House and Senate.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 12:47:13 am »
This argument over labels has been going on ad infinitum. Not just here. It's the same thing where ever you go on the Internet. You'd think you can simply look up the definition in the dictionary and get a simple meaning. But, no. Not in politics.

New rule. No one-word political identifiers. You gotta elaborate, give details, be precise if you employ labels. Flesh out the whole biography, if necessary.

Moderate here, conservative there, libertarian on that, liberal on these two issues (please name issues so that ridicule may be employed if needed).

But across multiple topics there is always a wide range of opinion weaving or lurching left or right—depending on the arbitrator or if consensus of what left or right means is ever possible.

Get my meaning.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:08 am »

I'd back him.
Absolutely.  Kasich is fully awesome.  He's run for President before, and is very media savy. 
The GOP Governor division looks really tough this season. 
Bush,  Romney, Perry, Christie, Kasich, Walker,  maybe Pence. 
Those are some heavy hitters. :vote:

...baby steps to 2016 - Bob Wiley

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:13 am »
This argument over labels has been going on ad infinitum. Not just here. It's the same thing where ever you go on the Internet. You'd think you can simply look up the definition in the dictionary and get a simple meaning. But, no. Not in politics.

New rule. No one-word political identifiers. You gotta elaborate, give details, be precise if you employ labels. Flesh out the whole biography, if necessary.

Moderate here, conservative there, libertarian on that, liberal on these two issues (please name issues so that ridicule may be employed if needed).

But across multiple topics there is always a wide range of opinion weaving or lurching left or right—depending on the arbitrator or if consensus of what left or right means is ever possible.

Get my meaning.

Wouldn't that be nice!!!

Offline Carling

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 04:09:58 am »

Get my meaning.

I do, at least when addressing fellow posters on this site.  I feel this board has taken a turn toward the positive the last two days.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:25:54 am »
Was it on the old "Wonderama" tv show back in the 50's, or perhaps Soupy Sales?

"There goes another loser....!"

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:34 pm »
Absolutely.  Kasich is fully awesome.  He's run for President before, and is very media savy. 
The GOP Governor division looks really tough this season. 
Bush,  Romney, Perry, Christie, Kasich, Walker,  maybe Pence. 
Those are some heavy hitters. :vote:

...baby steps to 2016 - Bob Wiley

Kasich is a man of absolute integrity.  I don't agree with him on a few things, some of which are very important (like Common Core), but I repeat....... he is a man of absolute integrity.  He loves America.  He is a strong fiscal conservative, a strong leader, and as you say, media savvy.  And he has absolutely turned this state around in a very short period of time.

If others would support someone who agrees with them 100% on every issue, I'd say go for it in the Primary.

But if Kasich would win the nomination in 2016, I would accuse any conservative who didn't vote for him as being pro-Democrat, and thus anti-American.

The Republican bench is deep, and we need a real leader.

Kasich is a great option.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:45 pm »
Chris Christie praised Kasich? Uh oh. There goes the base.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »
I don't really see him having any support.

His biggest strength is that he can carry the all-important state of Ohio, but so could a number of other contenders, and even he hasn't faced the kind of challenge that the Clinton machine would bring in either gubernatorial election he's faced so far.

He's not very strong on social issues. He supported expanding Medicaid, so there goes the fiscal conservative vote. As someone pointed out, he's a Common Core supporter. On top of all that, he lacks the money and connections that could make up for all that (ahem, Jeb). He literally has nothing good that would allow him to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

If he runs, he'll be an also-ran.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 02:50:05 pm »
If Kasich get's the nomination (I personally believe there will be FAR better choices) I would vote for him over ANY democrat you can name in a heartbeat! In the meantime I will do what I can to try and find a better candidate!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:27 pm »
I wonder how many interns would come out of the wood work

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »
I don't really see him having any support.

His biggest strength is that he can carry the all-important state of Ohio, but so could a number of other contenders, and even he hasn't faced the kind of challenge that the Clinton machine would bring in either gubernatorial election he's faced so far.

He's not very strong on social issues. He supported expanding Medicaid, so there goes the fiscal conservative vote. As someone pointed out, he's a Common Core supporter. On top of all that, he lacks the money and connections that could make up for all that (ahem, Jeb). He literally has nothing good that would allow him to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

If he runs, he'll be an also-ran.

If he is a supporter of expanding Medicaid and Common Core he is toast.  I have the opportunity to interact with parents in my area and so far I have not heard anything positive from them about Common Core.  Most of these parents are college educated so you know they've been exposed to liberalism at its finest; if they don't like it's got to be bad.

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:27 pm »
If he is a supporter of expanding Medicaid and Common Core he is toast.  I have the opportunity to interact with parents in my area and so far I have not heard anything positive from them about Common Core.  Most of these parents are college educated so you know they've been exposed to liberalism at its finest; if they don't like it's got to be bad.

In other words, he's actually had to govern a purple state, which means he's going fail the TEA litmus test, as well as the liberals' litmus test. This must be why senators are so popular with the far right and the far left. They never have to lead, and they can make symbolic stances.  Heck, even Sarah Palin took federal dollars for HPV testing in Alaska. RINO!!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:31 pm »
Here's an excerpt from an article where Kasich clarified his position on Common Core:

Kasich also was pressed on his support for Common Core, education standards devised by the National Governors Association but derided by conservatives as an overreach by the federal government. Walker, perhaps Kasich's chief rival among the subset of Midwest governors with swing-state appeal, is an ardent foe.

"I don't see somehow that this is a 'ObamaCore' or some other kind of thing that I hear," Kasich said. "I have looked at it carefully. If the federal government starts meddling in this, if you start trying to do all this education policy out of Washington, I'm not for that. But as long as local school boards and parents are involved in writing the curriculum to reach a higher standard, particularly in math and science ... that makes a lot of sense."

Perry used the Common Core question to decry "bureaucracy in Washington, D.C.," drawing what perhaps was Kasich's sharpest rejoinder of the forum.

"This was governors doing it," Kasich said. "And that's what I thought we wanted."

This article is from http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/11/ohio_gov_john_kasich_finds_him.html and was posted on November 19, 2014.

It seems to me that his arguments, though many conservatives (like me) disagree with any support of Common Core, are coming from a conservative, states' rights, local control perspective.

Call it 'nuance' if you will, but saying he supports federal control of education is not accurate.

Just for the record....   :patriot: