Author Topic: Dude Files Religious Discrimination Complaint Over Bakery’s Refusal To Make Anti-Gay Cake  (Read 532 times)

rangerrebew

Dude Files Religious Discrimination Complaint Over Bakery’s Refusal To Make Anti-Gay Cake

By Brian Carey, January 16, 2015.

Turnabout. It’s fair play.

By now, just about every conservative on the planet has heard about the case of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Colorado. That bakery has been cited by the state for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Now, the shoe’s on the other foot.

Some guy walked into Azucar Bakery (also in Colorado, so this is getting off to a great start) and asked pastry chef Lindsay Jones to bake him an anti-gay cake. According to her, he wanted a cake with the words “God hates homosexuality” on it. He also wanted a “no” sign over two men, a Scripture quotation, and a Ghostbusters sign.

Jones agreed to bake the cake, but didn’t want to write the message that he had requested. She offered to sell him the equipment so he could write the message himself.

That wasn’t good enough.

The guy filed a complaint with Colorado’s Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). As of this writing, the whole thing is working its way through the system.

Of course, we’re consistent in our opposition to forced commerce. The reality is that we’re against what this guy is doing.

However, we also believe that Christian bakers shouldn’t be required to participate in gay wedding ceremonies, either.

In other words: We’re consistent.

Still, it’s amusing to watch social conservatives use the regulatory system to their advantage. They’re basically hoisting anti-Christian bigots on their own petard.

We’ll keep an eye on this one to see how it turns out.

http://downtrend.com/brian-carey/dude-files-religious-discrimination-complaint-over-bakerys-refusal-to-make-anti-gay-cake/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:52:55 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline GourmetDan

Still, it’s amusing to watch social conservatives use the regulatory system to their advantage. They’re basically hoisting anti-Christian bigots on their own petard.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Sue early, sue often... it's the only thing that libs understand...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate on this, but here is the difference:

On one hand, you had a cake made for a ceremony that is part of the baker's regular offerings- just with participants they don't want to work with.

On the other hand you have someone requesting a cake with a specific message put on it. I'm sure most bakers choose what words and messages they add to their products. I'm sure if they went to Wal Mart asking for the same thing, they would get the same reaction.

The difference is actually adding the message.

Is this wrong or right?  IMHO, they went about this wrong. A fair comparison would be to go to a gay activist baker and ask for a normal wedding cake for a straight couple. That would be apples to apples.

Offline ABX

...I also wonder how this bakery was chosen. I went to the owner's facebook page and she has zero political activism notes or likes. She is a recent, legal immigrant from Peru.

Maybe it isn't she opposes or supports gay marriage but she just wants to not get political at all with her product?

https://www.facebook.com/marjorie.bordo
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:11:39 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline GourmetDan

I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate on this...

Good choice.

On one hand, you had a cake made for a ceremony that is part of the baker's regular offerings- just with participants they don't want to work with.

On the other hand you have someone requesting a cake with a specific message put on it. I'm sure most bakers choose what words and messages they add to their products. I'm sure if they went to Wal Mart asking for the same thing, they would get the same reaction.

The difference is actually adding the message.

Is this wrong or right?  IMHO, they went about this wrong. A fair comparison would be to go to a gay activist baker and ask for a normal wedding cake for a straight couple. That would be apples to apples.

Apparently, 'regular offerings' didn't include the 'message' of same-sex individuals on said offerings.

Narrowly-defining the term 'message' to craft an argument that fits a particular political view is obvious...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline ABX

In another story on this, apparently they did bake the cake for him, in the shape of a Bible and provided him everything to write the message himself. They didn't want any negative messages, which is their right.

Owner's statement: "I would like to make it clear that we never refused service. We only refused to write and draw what we felt was discriminatory against gays. In the same manner we would not … make a discriminatory cake against Christians, we will not make one that discriminates against gays."

Offline GourmetDan

In another story on this, apparently they did bake the cake for him, in the shape of a Bible and provided him everything to write the message himself. They didn't want any negative messages, which is their right.

Owner's statement: "I would like to make it clear that we never refused service. We only refused to write and draw what we felt was discriminatory against gays. In the same manner we would not … make a discriminatory cake against Christians, we will not make one that discriminates against gays."

In other news, kosher delis will now be required to serve ham sandwiches, shrimp and cheeseburgers to avoid discriminating against Gentiles.

"As Lori said, the fact that many Jews eat pork does not undermine the right of kosher restaurants to exclude it from the menu. Nor should it obligate them to provide ham or shrimp or cheeseburgers to their non-Jewish employees for lunch. Rather than their refusal to do so being a case of observant Jews “imposing their beliefs” on others, a law that sought to force such restaurants to alter their fare to conform with a government dictat would allow the state to use its power of coercion to run roughshod over the religious beliefs of its citizens."

"Lori went even further and analogized the president’s “compromise” on contraception by saying it was no different than if the state allowed the kosher delis to not put pork on its menu and to have its employees serve ham sandwiches but forced them to allow pork distributors to set up kiosks on the premises where free ham sanchwiches would be served, the cost for which would be born by the kosher deli owners."

Only works for certain people, most definitely not Christians...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 04:52:03 pm by GourmetDan »