Author Topic: GOP tactics on ObamaCare move away from full repeal  (Read 439 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP tactics on ObamaCare move away from full repeal
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/229730-gop-tactics-on-obamacare-move-away-from-full-repeal

By Sarah Ferris - 01/16/15 06:00 AM EST
Republicans are shifting their tactics on ObamaCare, an abrupt change from the party’s “repeal-only” rhetoric that dominated the last five years of debate.

The GOP is coalescing around the idea that incremental changes, rather than a sweeping repeal effort, can be more appealing to voters – while also holding out the possibility of hollowing out the law from within.

In the past, some conservatives objected to any ObamaCare bills that fell short of full repeal. They argued it was impossible to fix the flawed legislation by doing anything other than fully repealing it.
No more.

When the newly GOP-controlled Senate votes on its first anti-ObamaCare legislation in the next few weeks, none of its members is expected to block the bills, according to aides and lobbyists familiar with discussions.

“I’m guessing that they’ve had this ‘squirrel finds a nut’ moment of reasonableness,” one Senate GOP aide said.

The GOP remains far from consensus on how to handle the law, but threats from the party’s far-right members have largely faded as members look to show a GOP Congress can govern ahead of 2016, when the party hopes to retake the White House.

“If we can show that we can lead, we might get an even bigger majority in 2016. We might get the White House,” the Republican aide said. “Republicans can say, ‘See, we were right? Put us in charge, and we’ll repeal the whole damn thing.’”

The change in tone can be seen even among hard-line Republicans, including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) – who recently said he wanted to fix the “most onerous” pieces of ObamaCare.

“There used to be an argument pretty prevalent on the Hill: They’re not going to do anything to fix Obama’s problem and force people to live with consequences,” said Stuart Butler, who spent 35 years leading policy for the conservative think tank, the Heritage Foundation.

“Well now, that seems to be not quite the strategy,” said Butler, who is now a senior fellow for the Brookings Institution.

Two bills could soon head to President Obama’s desk.

One redefines a “full time” worker under the employer mandate as someone who works at least 40 hours per week, while another repeals the 2.3 percent tax on medical devices.

A handful of Democrats have supported each bill, raising the odds that either could be sent to Obama’s desk with a bipartisan sheen.

Both would then be vetoed, but Republicans believe that could help make their case for a change at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

The White House and Democrats hope the new GOP tactics backfire.

They’re trying to paint Republicans as obsessed with fighting old battles.

Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell delivered a plea Thursday for Congress to “move beyond” attacks on the healthcare law, underlining the administration’s message.

To be sure, Republicans continue to call for repeal.

Multiple members of the House GOP have already put forward ObamaCare repeal bills. So too have Sens. Bill Cassidy (R-La) and David Vitter (R-La.), fresh off their 2014 elections.

And outside groups have signaled some unhappiness with the emphasis on making changes to the law, rather than doing it in.

The Club for Growth sent a letter Thursday to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) urging them to be “diligent” in their efforts to repeal the law.

Brent Bozell, the firebrand leader of the Tea Party group ForAmerica, warned that the Republicans who are caving on ObamaCare are creating “civil wars” within the party.

Nearly a dozen Tea Party members announced plans this week to leave the House conservative policy group, the Republican Study Committee, with ObamaCare as key area of dissent.

“If Republicans don’t do something with this mandate [on ObamaCare] that conservatives gave them, conservatives will walk,” Bozel

But other observers say the GOP’s recent conversations on ObamaCare are healthy.

“Up until now, it’s been that any move by critics to improve the law, from their perspective, was almost seen as admission of defeat,” said Larry Levitt, vice president of the Kaiser Family Foundation.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: GOP tactics on ObamaCare move away from full repeal
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
Here is what I think is going on here. I think that the GOPe is VERY afraid of passing a full repeal of Obamacare and sending it to the president for his veto!  They are scared to death of that because if they did it the votes to override the veto might magically appear and deprive them of the issue moving forward!

Could be wrong but that's what I think and it makes me madder than a hornet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 03:42:59 pm »
Here is what I think is going on here. I think that the GOPe is VERY afraid of passing a full repeal of Obamacare and sending it to the president for his veto!  They are scared to death of that because if they did it the votes to override the veto might magically appear and deprive them of the issue moving forward!

I have a different view of this. The GOP is in a very bad situation with obamacare. It seems like a lot of Americans STILL believe obamacare is something free, and they want whatever it is. These people don't understand it, but don't care, if Obama forced it past the evil Republicans, it HAS to be good. And the msm does all it can to reinforce that view.

If Republicans repeal it, they will be cast as the evil protectors of the rich, doing all they can to make average Americans poor and miserable.

If Republicans stand aside and let obamacare play out, they will be blamed for all of the faults. Republicans control Congress, so the Dems and the msm will blame everything on the GOP, and the public will buy it.

Looking at it pragmatically, the only thing Republicans can do is try to fix it. And we all know, fixing it is impossible. Obamacare wasn't written to be successful.

If I was a career GOP politician, I'd try to fix the darn thing. It's the best shot they have at not getting raked over the coals.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:47:59 pm »
I have a different view of this. The GOP is in a very bad situation with obamacare. It seems like a lot of Americans STILL believe obamacare is something free, and they want whatever it is. These people don't understand it, but don't care, if Obama forced it past the evil Republicans, it HAS to be good. And the msm does all it can to reinforce that view.

If Republicans repeal it, they will be cast as the evil protectors of the rich, doing all they can to make average Americans poor and miserable.

If Republicans stand aside and let obamacare play out, they will be blamed for all of the faults. Republicans control Congress, so the Dems and the msm will blame everything on the GOP, and the public will buy it.

Looking at it pragmatically, the only thing Republicans can do is try to fix it. And we all know, fixing it is impossible. Obamacare wasn't written to be successful.

If I was a career GOP politician, I'd try to fix the darn thing. It's the best shot they have at not getting raked over the coals.

I understand your point of view but do not share it at all!

The fact of the matter is that every republican in Washington campaigned on repealing Obamacare first thing if we would give them the senate! We did and they should or that promise will become the new "read my lips! No new taxes!"
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Carling

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »
I understand your point of view but do not share it at all!

The fact of the matter is that every republican in Washington campaigned on repealing Obamacare first thing if we would give them the senate! We did and they should or that promise will become the new "read my lips! No new taxes!"

Every Republican certainly did not run on repealing ObamaCare.  Now you're just making things up.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:50:16 pm »

Not so sure I agree with you on this one since a lot of the GOP campaigns promised repeal. To boot, they have a whole lot of issues to move forward on; Benghazi, illegal immigration, IRS, NSA, etc., etc that need to be overturned or addressed. The president will of course veto AND if they did manage to overturn that veto that would give them the "power" and send Obama a very clear message and you would see a lot of people rally around the GOP.  So...why oh why wouldn't they do that?? Because most of the GOPe and Dems are of the same ole country club.  Did anyone really think because the GOPe now holds the majority in both Houses things were going to change?

Clearly, it is already starting to certainly look like this is nothing more than the same old horse and pony show.  However, I see this as an ample opportunity for a 3rd party (TEA) in 2016; provided they have a dynamic leader who has a very clear message.   ....hmm I wonder who that could be?

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.