Author Topic: 'We are Charlie': Tens of thousands march to honor victims of Paris attack  (Read 1746 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/11/are-charlie-thousands-to-march-to-honor-victims-paris-attack/

'We are Charlie': Tens of thousands march to honor victims of Paris attack
Published January 11, 2015Associated Press

PARIS –  Tens of thousands of people including more than 40 world leaders streamed into the heart of Paris on Sunday for a rally of national unity to honor the 17 victims of three days of terror.

The aftermath of the attacks remained raw, with video emerging of one of the gunmen killed during police raids pledging allegiance to the Islamic State group and detailing how the attacks were going to unfold. Also, a new shooting was linked to that gunman, Amedy Coulibaly, who was killed Friday along with the brothers behind a massacre at satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in nearly simultaneous raids by security forces.

"Today, Paris is the capital of the world," said French President Francois Hollande . "Our entire country will rise up toward something better."

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas were among the leaders attending, as were top representatives of Russia and Ukraine.

Rallies were also planned in London, Madrid and New York -- all attacked by Al Qaeda-linked extremists -- as well as Cairo, Sydney, Stockholm, Tokyo and elsewhere.

"We are all Charlie, we are all police, we are all Jews of France," Prime Minister Manuel Valls declared on Saturday, referring to the victims of the attacks that included employees at Charlie Hebdo, shoppers at a kosher grocery and three police officers.

The three days of terror began Wednesday when brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi stormed the newsroom of Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people. Al Qaeda's branch in Yemen said it directed the attack by the masked gunmen to avenge the honor of the Prophet Muhammad, a frequent target of the weekly's satire. On Thursday, police said Coulibaly killed a policewoman on the outskirts of Paris and on Friday, the attackers converged.

While the Kouachi brothers holed up in a printing plant near Charles de Gaulle airport, Coulibaly seized hostages inside a kosher market. It all ended at dusk Friday with near-simultaneous raids at the printing plant and the market that left all three gunmen dead. Four hostages at the market were also killed.

Five people who were held in connection with the attacks were freed late Saturday, leaving no one in custody, according to the Paris prosecutor's office. The widow of the man who attacked the kosher market is still being sought and was last traced near the Turkey-Syrian border.

Early Sunday, police in Germany detained two men suspected of an arson attack against a newspaper that republished the Charlie Hebdo cartoons. No one was injured in that attack.

"The terrorists want two things: they want to scare us and they want to divide us. We must do the opposite. We must stand up and we must stay united," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told French TV channel iTele on Sunday.

It was France's deadliest terrorist attack in decades, and the country remains on high alert while investigators determine whether the attackers were part of a larger extremist network. More than 5,500 police and soldiers were being deployed on Sunday across France, about half of them to protect the march. The others were guarding synagogues, mosques, schools and other sites around France.

"I hope that we will again be able to say we are happy to be Jews in France," said Haim Korsia, the chief rabbi in France, who planned to attend the rally.

"I hope that at the end of the day everyone is united. Everyone, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists," added Zakaria Moumni, who was at Republique early Sunday. "We are humans first of all. And nobody deserves to be murdered like that. Nobody."

At an international conference in India, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the world stood with the people of France "not just in anger and in outrage, but in solidarity and commitment to the cause of confronting extremism and in the cause that extremists fear so much and that has always united our countries: freedom."

Posthumous video emerged Sunday of Coulibaly, who prosecutors said was newly linked by ballistics tests to a third shooting -- the Wednesday attack on a jogger in a Paris suburb that left the 32-year-old man gravely injured. In the video, Coulibaly speaks fluent French and broken Arabic, pledging allegiance to the Islamic State group and detailing the terror operation he said was about to unfold.

The Kouachi brothers claimed the attacks were planned and financed by Al Qaeda in Yemen.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Newt Gingrich ‏@newtgingrich 4m4 minutes ago

Sad that 50 world leaders could show solidarity in Paris but President Obama refused to participate. The cowardice continues
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:37:51 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline olde north church

Newt Gingrich ‏@newtgingrich 4m4 minutes ago

Sad that 50 world leaders could show solidarity in Paris but President Obama refused to participate. The cowardice continues

Didn't want to be seen with BiBi.  Yeah, he's that small.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Here is a list of the world leaders participating at the Paris rally:

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy
Romanian President Klaus Iohannis
European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker
European Parliament president Martin Schulz
European Union president Donald Tusk
Nato secretary general Jens Stoltenberg
Polish Prime Minister Ewa Kopacz
Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny
Portuguese Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho
Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka
Slovakian Prime Minister Robert Fico
Latvian Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boiko Borissov
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban
Croatian Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic
Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel
Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat
Slovenian Prime Minister Miro Cerar
Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven
Finnish Prime Minister Alexander Stubb
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko
Swiss President Simonetta Sommaruga
Kosovo President Atifete Jahjaga
Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg
Georgian Prime Minister Irakli Garibachvili
Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov
Austrian foreign minister Sebastian Kurz
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
King Abdallah of Jordan
Queen Rania of Jordan
German chancellor Angela Merkel
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman
Israeli Economy Minister Naftali Bennett
MK Eli Yishai from Israeli Knesset
Abu Mazen of Palestinian Fatah party
US Attorney General Eric Holder (Did not attend march and rally)
Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
Gabonese President Ali Bongo
Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou
Benin President Thomas Boni Yayi
Tunisian Prime Minister Mehdi Jomaa
Algerian foreign minister Ramtane Lamamra
Support the USO

FORE!!!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jennifer Rubin ‏@JRubinBlogger 4m4 minutes ago

@jaketapper @David_Cameron @netanyahu @PresidentAbbas This is appalling.. Not the President, not the VP.. the atty general we send??!!
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
January 20, 2017 the end of an error!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 2m2 minutes ago

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder tells CNN there's no "credible information" on who sponsored Charlie Hebdo attack.
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: 'We are Charlie': Tens of thousands march to honor victims of Paris attack
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »
CNN Breaking News ‏@cnnbrk 2m2 minutes ago

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder tells CNN there's no "credible information" on who sponsored Charlie Hebdo attack.

Another member of the Muslim brotherhood speaks!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »

Greta Van Susteren
3 mins ·
40 world leaders go and President Obama snubs it? huh?
40 world leaders are taking part in a unity March in Paris today but our President is not going. Leaders from Britain (Prime Minister David Cameron), Germany (Chancellor Angela Merkel), Turkey, Jordan, Israel (PM Netanyahu), etc.
Sure A/G Eric Holder is going but he is not the President.
And, as I recall, it was French President Jacque Chirac who was the first foreign Head of State to show up at the White House after 9/11. Is this how we send a thank you?
According to reports, there is nothing on President Obama's schedule that would have prevented him from going -- and he does have Air Force One.
This is embarrassing for the American people.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 03:02:53 pm »

Support the USO

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 03:14:48 pm »
The tens of thousands could do a lot better for themselves and France, if they had the right to keep and bear arms. Might slow the towelheads' zeal a tad, as well.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 04:00:23 pm »
I am so tired of ringing bells, yellow ribbons and honoring victims.
When are we going to stop allowing those a-holes from creating more victims?
When will fundamental human rights triumph politically correct tolerance?

I know, we don't have an answer and it is disgraceful that we don't.

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »
I am so tired of ringing bells, yellow ribbons and honoring victims.
When are we going to stop allowing those a-holes from creating more victims?
When will fundamental human rights triumph politically correct tolerance?

I know, we don't have an answer and it is disgraceful that we don't.

But seriously, don't we all so freakin' good after the fact!  Kumbaya and have a martini

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 04:19:27 pm »
This is the 60's generation answer to a war on their liberal society.

I don't criticize the sentiments or the anti-islamo-fascist words coming out of today's events.  They are all good.  They are all gathering together to show unity and strength...and show that they are willing to die for their beliefs.  Fine, nothing at all wrong with that.

The demonstration won't win the war, it won't stop the terror, it won't cure the problems created by their own multicultural leftist philosophy.

We can see that they are willing to die for this, that they are comfortable with victimhood and the moral superiority they think it brings.  If they want this to end, they must now show that they are willing to kill for their beliefs, kill on a large and wide scale, for their enemy is legion and resides in great numbers amongst them.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 04:23:25 pm »
I do have one question on the unity rally today...I have never seen a unity rally for any American terrorist attack...just saying
Support the USO

Offline evadR

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 04:24:02 pm »
January 20, 2017 the end of an error!
Spot on Bigun.
The question is "will it be the beginning of another?".
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 04:24:50 pm »

I don't criticize the sentiments or the anti-islamo-fascist words coming out of today's events.  They are all good.  They are all gathering together to show unity and strength...and show that they are willing to die for their beliefs.  Fine, nothing at all wrong with that.

The demonstration won't win the war, it won't stop the terror, it won't cure the problems created by their own multicultural leftist philosophy.

We can see that they are willing to die for this, that they are comfortable with victimhood and the moral superiority they think it brings.  If they want this to end, they must now show that they are willing to kill for their beliefs, kill on a large and wide scale, for their enemy is legion and resides in great numbers amongst them.

Are we talking about France or the U. S.?

Offline evadR

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 04:29:55 pm »
I do have one question on the unity rally today...I have never seen a unity rally for any American terrorist attack...just saying
That answer is easy.  With the exception of Britain and Israel, no one in that entire group gives a damn about an attack on Americans.  In their eyes, we deserve it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 04:32:51 pm »
Are we talking about France or the U. S.?
Both

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 04:39:43 pm »

Well, every year we gather in NYC, DC and PA to ring our bells, light candles and read a list of the dead then we go back to our TV's and iphones and all is well again.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 05:17:58 pm »

:amen:

Your words address the crux of the problem! Asserting your right to say it by risking your life to do it is all very well - but asserting the right to STOP the terror is entirely another thing!  How many people will die before we get to the point where we exterminate the problem?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »

Good for you!  I was going to post this same thought--but I was sure I'd get spammed.