Author Topic: Boehner retaliates against the Right  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Boehner retaliates against the Right
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:49:59 am »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/boehner-retaliates-against-the-right/article/2558284

Republican leaders on Tuesday infuriated conservatives by meting out punishment to a group of far-right GOP lawmakers who tried to oust House Speaker John Boehner.

Hours after 24 Republicans voted against Boehner, GOP leaders removed two members from a key committee. By late Tuesday, Reps. Daniel Webster and Richard Nugent, both of Florida, were stripped from the powerful House Rules Committee, which governs the legislative process, including amendments and changes to bills before they reach the House floor for debate.

Webster was one of three candidates who announced they were running against Boehner.

A former House speaker for the Florida Legislature, Webster received 12 votes. The other candidates, Ted Yoho, also of Florida, and Louie Gohmert, of Texas, received three and two votes each. Boehner won easily with 216 votes.

Boehner’s decision to punish Nugent and Webster has inflamed an already disgruntled conservative voting bloc, which warned that the move would further divide the Republican Conference.

“It’s outrageous,” Gohmert told the Washington Examiner. “I thought maybe we were actually going to be able to work together, but if people are going to be punished for representing their district, there is another big fight about to happen.”

Another longtime member who voted for Boehner but who has bucked the GOP leadership in the past said members should never be punished for the way they vote, and called the retribution “the clearest way to mutiny.”

Republican leadership would not confirm whether other Republicans who voted against Boehner would lose their committee assignments.

But GOP lawmakers told the Examiner that others could feel repercussions, including Rep. Scott Garrett, R-N.J., who could lose his chairmanship of a Financial Services subcommittee.

“If that happens, all hell is going to break loose,” said Rep. Matt Salmon, R-Ariz., a conservative who voted for Boehner. “If the leaders feel the discontentment was contained with just 24 people, they are wrong. They are going to find that number grows exponentially.”

But the conservative faction has grown increasingly unpopular among the GOP rank and file, and many of them back the speaker’s move to oust Nugent and Webster from the Rules Committee, a panel considered to be an instrument of the speaker.

“It’s the speaker’s prerogative,” one longtime Republican lawmaker who asked not to be named told the Examiner. “You vote against the speaker and then expect to stay on the Rules Committee? It’s retribution to vote against the speaker.”

Another member said lawmakers are tired of cooperating on politically difficult votes while the conservative faction continues to thwart the leadership without repercussions.

“Those of us who do all the hard work, we’re tired of all of the BS,” a member who requested anonymity told the Examiner.

Boehner’s punishment dashes the hopes among conservatives that their coup attempt would give them more influence in the legislative process.

The GOP opposition to Boehner was nearly historic and would have come closer to succeeding if not for a dozen absent Democrats who were attending funeral services for former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo.

“The dissatisfaction with where we’ve been is so much wider and deeper than 24 people,” said Salmon, who voted for Boehner.

Salmon said that when he first talked to GOP leaders about the votes to oust Boehner, their response was “not one of arrogance, but one of humility.”

But the Republican leaders had been planning on potential punishment for days, according to House sources. They refrained from finalizing committee assignments for the 114th Congress so they could make changes if lawmakers voted against Boehner.

Rules Committee Chairman Pete Sessions, R-Texas, praised both Nugent and Webster and said the 24 votes against Boehner show that the GOP leadership team has to work harder to unite the conference.

“I think we’ve got a lot of work to do,” Sessions said. “Our conference is going to find a way to get together and talk and heal itself. And it’s going to take some time.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Boehner retaliates against the Right
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:57:31 am »
Boehner is a small man..instead of reaching out to the Conservatives and call a truce he is so full of spite and revenge.....It's gonna be a long 2 years of watching this crybaby POS...at least for me..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:59:56 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/boehner-faces-leadership-challenge-from-conservative-members/2015/01/06/1c047668-95c1-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

Afterward, Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.), a Boehner confidant, said the vote should send a “message” to the anti-Boehner faction.

“I would hope they are reflecting,” Cole said. Then he put himself in the shoes of a failed plotter: “Nine out of every 10 Republicans voted against me, against my position. Maybe I’m the one that’s out of step.”

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 03:00:04 am »
Boehner is a small man..

Well now you're hitting below the belt...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 03:16:15 am »
Then he put himself in the shoes of a failed plotter: “Nine out of every 10 Republicans voted against me, against my position. Maybe I’m the one that’s out of step.”

LMAO...who do they think just gave them both Houses...!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:25 am »
LMAO...who do they think just gave them both Houses...!
It wasn't people who say stuff like "I'm a conservative not a Republican."  or people who supported taking out the GOP leadership in the primaries, yet failed to get any of their candidates on the ballot for November.  It wasn't the silent majority who did not rise up when Sen. Cruz lead our party into a government shutdown in an effort to bring GOP approval ratings below 25%.  Looks like the GOP will have to try and replace those "voters."

The good news is that each rat voter that the GOP siphons off is worth 2 "conservative" votes.  A defecting rat voter subtracts a vote from the rats and adds one to the GOP.  A "conservative" vote is just one vote.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:09 am »
Boehner is a small man..instead of reaching out to the Conservatives and call a truce he is so full of spite and revenge.....It's gonna be a long 2 years of watching this crybaby POS...at least for me..

Somebody shoots at you, misses, and you're supposed to go over and say "Forget it, pal"?

It's not spiteful to put in place those who support you. If you don't support me, I'll be damned if I'm going to reward you.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:22 am »
If you play hardball, you may get hit by a ball.

Don't whine when it does.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:34:47 am »
It wasn't people who say stuff like "I'm a conservative not a Republican."  or people who supported taking out the GOP leadership in the primaries, yet failed to get any of their candidates on the ballot for November.  It wasn't the silent majority who did not rise up when Sen. Cruz lead our party into a government shutdown in an effort to bring GOP approval ratings below 25%.  Looks like the GOP will have to try and replace those "voters."

The good news is that each rat voter that the GOP siphons off is worth 2 "conservative" votes.  A defecting rat voter subtracts a vote from the rats and adds one to the GOP.  A "conservative" vote is just one vote.

Good. then you won't miss me. And, if perchance, your Realpolitik fails to deliver all those independents and moderates who will flock to your GOP pragmatism, and JEB or Mitt or whoever goes down in flames, don't blame me. I'm "just one vote".
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:43:13 am »
Good. then you won't miss me. And, if perchance, your Realpolitik fails to deliver all those independents and moderates who will flock to your GOP pragmatism, and JEB or Mitt or whoever goes down in flames, don't blame me. I'm "just one vote".

So what are you going to do? Piss your vote away on some Alan-Keyes-type?   Or just stay home?

If you've never not voted, then I suspect you'll vote for whoever runs against Hillary. Because if Hillary wins, you're screwed too.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:25 pm »
So what are you going to do? Piss your vote away on some Alan-Keyes-type?   Or just stay home?

If you've never not voted, then I suspect you'll vote for whoever runs against Hillary. Because if Hillary wins, you're screwed too.

I've voted in every election since 1968 [the first time I could legally vote] This time, I'll just stay home. Enough folks here have convinced that with their brave new coalition my concerns, and my vote isn't necessary. Just power does, and they're gonna sweep to it in 2016. Have fun!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 03:14:21 pm »
I've voted in every election since 1968 [the first time I could legally vote] This time, I'll just stay home. Enough folks here have convinced that with their brave new coalition my concerns, and my vote isn't necessary. Just power does, and they're gonna sweep to it in 2016. Have fun!

There's no "brave new coalition", it's the same old coalition that's always existed. It includes all manners of political ideologies right of center, some closer to the center than others.

It appears (it has appeared to be this way for quite some time) that conservatives don't wish to participate in a coalition that is not strictly controlled by their policy choices, yet (as we saw when less than 10% of the GOP members of the House voted against retaining Boehner as Speaker), they do not make up anywhere near any manner of a majority in government.

They don't want a seat at the table, they want to own the table.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 03:19:04 pm »
... yet (as we saw when less than 10% of the GOP members of the House voted against retaining Boehner as Speaker), they do not make up anywhere near any manner of a majority in government.

This is like Obama saying that everyone who didn't vote in the last election agrees with him...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:19:36 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »
If you want to kill the king, you do it in broad daylight and hope like Hell you succeed.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:36:19 pm »
Why even go through the pretense of voting?  If you're only allowed to vote one way - just go into a smoky backroom and pick one, instead of making a big show about it. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!