Author Topic: A Heavy Hitter Just Announced He’s Challenging John Boehner  (Read 4336 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Heavy Hitter Just Announced He’s Challenging John Boehner
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01/04/louie-gohmert-is-officially-gunning-for-john-boehners-job/

A Heavy Hitter Just Announced He’s Challenging John Boehner
Jan. 4, 2015 7:52am   Zach Noble

It’s official: House Speaker John Boehner has multiple challengers gunning for his job.

Texas Republican Louie Gohmert announced Sunday morning on Fox News’ “Fox and Friends” that he would throw his hat into the ring, saying he’s officially a candidate for the speaker gig.

Gohmert’s announcement comes as Boehner’s approval from conservative voters sags.

Gohmert’s office also sent a statement to TheBlaze on the announcement, in which Gohmert said that his bid — or other Republicans’ bids — for the speaker position don’t create a serious risk that Democrats could slip in a victorious candidate.

Read the full statement below:

After the November elections gave Republicans control of the Senate, voters made clear they wanted change.  There have been numerous examples of problematic Republican leadership, but we were hopeful our leaders got the voters’ message. However, after our Speaker forced through the CRomnibus by passing it with Democratic votes and without time to read it, it seemed clear that we needed new leadership. There had been much discussion. But, until yesterday, no one had stepped up.

I applaud my friend Rep. Ted Yoho for putting his name forward as an alternative to the status quo. Ted is a good man for whom I could vote, but I have heard from many supporters and also friends in Congress who have urged me to put forward my name for Speaker as well to increase our chances of change. That is why I am also offering my name as a candidate for Speaker.

There is false information being floated that any Republican candidates in addition to the current Speaker will split the vote and give the Speaker’s gavel to Congresswoman Pelosi. This is nothing but a scare tactic to keep the current regime in power.

As long as Republicans vote for an adult American citizen for Speaker, no Democrat can win. Only if 59 Republicans voted “Present” would there be a chance for a Democrat to win.

To win the Speaker’s race, an adult American citizen has to get a clear majority of all Members of Congress on the House floor voting for an eligible person.  Voting “Present” simply reduces the number of votes required to win a majority. If no one wins a majority on the first ballot, then we go to a second vote, then a third, until someone gets a majority.

At this point, the Speaker’s election is not about a particular candidate. It is about whether we keep the status quo or make the change the country demands. I am putting forward my name for consideration as Speaker and hope that with a new Speaker, be that me or someone else, we can fight for the ideals and principles that the voters wanted when they elected us in November.

In TheBlaze’s Saturday poll on who should be the House Speaker, Gohmert snagged 16 percent of the vote, putting him firmly at No. 2 on the seven-person list.

TheBlaze readers’ favorite pick among the options provided: South Carolina Republican Trey Gowdy, whose nearly 10,000 votes gave him 70 percent of the poll participants.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: A Heavy Hitter Just Announced He’s Challenging John Boehner
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 02:58:36 pm »
- The PJ Tatler - http://pjmedia.com/tatler -

[VIDEO] Rep. Gohmert (R-TX) Announces He Will Challenge Boehner for Speaker

Posted By Liz Sheld On January 4, 2015 @ 5:37 am In Politics | No Comments

This morning on Fox and Friends, Congressman Louie Gohmert (R-TX) announced he will run for Speaker of the House in a challenge to current Speaker of the House Rep. John Boehner.

Gohmert told Tucker Carlson that people in Congress say they would vote for someone other than Boehner but they have no options. Now they do,  he asserted. They have two options, Gohmert and Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) and maybe more will get in the race yet.

If a majority of those present and voting for a person vote for someone other than Boehner, the speaker’s race goes to a second round. Right now that number is around 29, since Rep. Grimm is resigning effective tomorrow. A high level GOP source says at that point, there is blood and the water and a second round vote could facilitate many other candidates jumping in the race.

The Texas congressman explained that Boehner and the GOP leadership deceived the American people when they went to Obama and Pelosi to get the votes for the Cromnibus, they told the people they would fight tooth and nail against amnesty…it follows a number of years of broken promises. Gohmert also referenced the recent poll that came out showing that 60% of Republican voters and Republican leaning voters want someone other than Boehner on the job.

With at least two other alternatives to Boehner on the table, Congressmen facing their angry, Boehner-weary constituents have no cover to say there were no other options but to support Boehner once again.

Late last night, Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) sent out a press release announcing he would also challenge Boehner, saying “The American people have allowed us to choose who is best suited to lead the House by electing a deep bench of diverse and qualified members. Our Republic is built on choice, and if needed, I would stand up to give our members that option.”

Gohmert closed off his segment by saying, it is time for a change.

Article printed from The PJ Tatler: http://pjmedia.com/tatler

URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2015/01/04/video-rep-gohmert-r-tx-announces-he-will-challenge-boehner-for-speaker/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:04:03 pm »
Louis Gohmert is a GREAT guy and a reliable conservative all of which makes his election as Speaker of the House very unlikely!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:48:14 pm »
Email blast from Congressman Gohmert-

Rep. Louie Gohmert Announces Run for Speaker of the House 
WASHINGTON, DC— Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) released the following statement today regarding his decision to buck the status quo and challenge John Boehner in the race for House Speaker:
“After the November elections gave Republicans control of the Senate, voters made clear they wanted change.  There have been numerous examples of problematic Republican leadership, but we were hopeful our leaders got the voters’ message. However, after our Speaker forced through the CRomnibus by passing it with Democratic votes and without time to read it, it seemed clear that we needed new leadership. There had been much discussion. But, until yesterday, no one had stepped up.
I applaud my friend Rep. Ted Yoho for putting his name forward as an alternative to the status quo. Ted is a good man for whom I could vote, but I have heard from many supporters and also friends in Congress who have urged me to put forward my name for Speaker as well to increase our chances of change. That is why I am also offering my name as a candidate for Speaker.
There is false information being floated that any Republican candidates in addition to the current Speaker will split the vote and give the Speaker's gavel to Congresswoman Pelosi. This is nothing but a scare tactic to keep the current regime in power.
As long as Republicans vote for an adult American citizen for Speaker, no Democrat can win. Only if 59 Republicans voted “Present” would there be a chance for a Democrat to win.
To win the Speaker’s race, an adult American citizen has to get a clear majority of all Members of Congress on the House floor voting for an eligible person.  Voting “Present” simply reduces the number of votes required to win a majority. If no one wins a majority on the first ballot, then we go to a second vote, then a third, until someone gets a majority.
At this point, the Speaker’s election is not about a particular candidate. It is about whether we keep the status quo or make the change the country demands. I am putting forward my name for consideration as Speaker and hope that with a new Speaker, be that me or someone else, we can fight for the ideals and principles that the voters wanted when they elected us in November.”
Congressman Gohmert is the Vice Chair of the Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security. Prior to being elected to serve in Congress, Louie was elected to three terms as District Judge in Smith County, Texas. He was appointed by Texas Governor Rick Perry to complete a term as Chief Justice of the 12th Court of Appeals.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »
Calling Gohmert a heavy hitter is a huge stretch.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 05:48:36 pm »
Calling Gohmert a heavy hitter is a huge stretch.

I wouldn't exactly call him a "heavy hitter" either.  I would say though, his name would at least be known inside the circles of those to whom politics is an interest.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:04:41 pm »
Good luck with your asparagus, Louie.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »
Bachmann's gone, but Louie Gohmert is in a hurry to take her place as resident-GOP-court-jester.   

Boehner's going to win the Speakership going away.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
Bachmann's gone, but Louie Gohmert is in a hurry to take her place as resident-GOP-court-jester.   

Boehner's going to win the Speakership going away.

Jamie Weinstein ‏@Jamie_Weinstein 2h2 hours ago
Only concern abt Speaker @replouiegohmert is it ends possibility of #Gohmert2016 ..Or does it serve as launching pad?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 06:53:20 pm »
Jamie Weinstein ‏@Jamie_Weinstein 2h2 hours ago
Only concern abt Speaker @replouiegohmert is it ends possibility of #Gohmert2016 ..Or does it serve as launching pad?

I know Congressman Gohmert and don't believe he wants to run for President. He tries to spend as much time with his constituents in Tyler as much as possible, I don't see him wanting to be full time in DC.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:24 pm »
Isn't Gohmert the homosexuality = bestiality guy?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 07:01:21 pm »
I know Congressman Gohmert and don't believe he wants to run for President. He tries to spend as much time with his constituents in Tyler as much as possible, I don't see him wanting to be full time in DC.

As much as possible?  Could that time he spends guest-hosting for Hannity be better spent in his district?

Gohmert strikes me as a nice guy, helpful and all, but goofy as hell.  Google "Gohmert and conspiracies" and you'll get a plethora of articles, not all from left-wing sources.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:01:52 pm »
Isn't Gohmert the homosexuality = bestiality guy?

That's Santorum, but Gohmert's a bit of a conspiracist.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »
He could head up the Tea Party Caucus, now that Bachmann is gone.

He is only a "heavy hitter" with a faction which had declined, not increased in approval.

I seriously doubt his colleagues want to place his record of quotes in the headlines, defining the entire GOP House majority.

To put him in the limelight, is to give the media and the left a gift of making him the center of attention, not the nation's business.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:13:39 pm »
That's Santorum, but Gohmert's a bit of a conspiracist.

It's both.

Gohmert on limiting gun magazine sizes:

"And I pointed out, well, once you make it ten, then why would you draw the line at ten? What's wrong with nine? Or eleven? And the problem is once you draw that limit ; it's kind of like marriage when you say it's not a man and a woman any more, then why not have three men and one woman, or four women and one man, or why not somebody has a love for an animal?" - Louie Gohmert

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 10:33:21 pm »
He could head up the Tea Party Caucus, now that Bachmann is gone.

He is only a "heavy hitter" with a faction which had declined, not increased in approval.

I seriously doubt his colleagues want to place his record of quotes in the headlines, defining the entire GOP House majority.

To put him in the limelight, is to give the media and the left a gift of making him the center of attention, not the nation's business.

Bachmann voted for Boehner in 2013 - Gohmert voted for the recently defeated Congressman Alan West.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/boehner-re-elected-speaker-broun-and-gohmert-vote-allen-west-instead
The 9 Republicans who voted against Boehner (Jan 3, 2013) were:

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) Amash will vote against Boehner IMO.  He is pretty pissed about his GOPe primary challenge.  http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/08/06/justin_amash_rips_defeated_primary_challenger_i_ran_for_office_to_stop_people_like_you.html

Rep. Steve Pearce (R-N.M.) was unoppossed for primary.  maybe bought off already.

Rep. Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.) Bridenstine was the first house seat SCF endorsed http://www.senateconservatives.com/site/post/2060/scf-endorses-jim-bridenstine-for-u-s-house  He will probably vote against Boehner.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.) Will vote for himself for speaker

Rep. Paul Broun (R-Ga.)  - Broun gave up his seat to run for the US senate and failed :bye:

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) will vote for himself for speaker

Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) sounded a little shell shocked after his primary against the GOPe.  He might not want to do that again in 2016
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP6ohXB-eS4#t=488

Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) faced no primary challenge but was threatened http://www.rcnky.com/articles/2014/01/04/chamber-president-will-not-challenge-massie  He will vote against Boehner IMO

Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-Kan.) - Huelskamp was already put on notice for 2016 by the GOPe http://atr.rollcall.com/elections-2016-tim-huelskamp-kansas-primary/  I'll be interested to see how he votes

I count 5-6 solid votes for a new speaker.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:05 pm »
Gohmert is a great fellow, but his statements render him to be "fringy" on the national spectrum of politics.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 11:53:50 pm »
Gohmert is a great fellow, but his statements render him to be "fringy" on the national spectrum of politics.

He's EXACTLY the type of intellect and orator that this Party needs as Speaker of the House.

PERIOD!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 01:49:38 am »
Getting rid of Boehner would be a plus and putting in someone more conservative would certainly shake Washington up a bit.  I don't see it happening, and if it does ... well that glimmer of hope will shine a little brighter.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 02:45:28 am »
He's EXACTLY the type of intellect and orator that this Party needs as Speaker of the House.

PERIOD!
Congressman Gohmert is a fine man who has been treated unfairly by the media just like Sarah Palin.  However Speaker Boehner has two things going for him that Gohmert lacks.  The Republican Congress respects and fears Boehner.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 03:05:24 am »
Congressman Gohmert is a fine man who has been treated unfairly by the media just like Sarah Palin.  However Speaker Boehner has two things going for him that Gohmert lacks.  The Republican Congress respects and fears Boehner.

??? I don't think the Republican Congress fears the GOPe; especially Boehner and certainly doesn't respect him; nor do the majority of Conservative voters.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2015, 03:12:35 am »
??? I don't think the Republican Congress fears the GOPe; especially Boehner and certainly doesn't respect him; nor do the majority of Conservative voters.
We will know soon.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 04:09:30 am »

PERIOD!

Don't bogart the joint.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 04:10:19 am »

The "GOPe" IS Congress.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 04:42:50 am »
From FOX News

Tea Party Candidates of the 2010 Midterm Election
Published October 31, 2010
FoxNews.com

The following is a list of congressional and gubernatorial candidates claiming Tea Party support in the midterm election.

Arkansas

2nd District: Tim Griffin

4th District: Beth Anne Rankin 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/31/tea-party-candidates-midterm-election/

From ccofal.org

Conservative Christians

Tea Party Candidates Arizona Primary August 28 2012:

Vote for Tea Party Candidates in Arizona Aug 28 primary. Arizona Conservative Congressional Recommendations The Arizona pro life candidate recommendation are provided below:

Tea Party Candidates Arkansas Primary: May 22

Vote for Arkansas Tea Party Candidates in the May Primary.
U.S. Congress for Conservative Tea Party Candidates Arkansas
District 1 Congress: Rick Crawford Endorsed by: Former Congressman, Asa Hutchinson
District 2 Congress : Tim Griffin < Endorsed by House Conservatives
District 4 Congress: Tom Cotton Endorsed By: The Conservative Victory Fund (CVF), the nation’s oldest conservative campaign committee

Rep. Griffin did not seek a third term in Congress but is now the Lieutenant Governor elect of Arkansas.

This interview is illuminating in many ways, but the most interesting bit comes at 6:59 in the recording.

Pay close attention to what this twice-elected TEA Party conservative has to say.

https://soundcloud.com/docwashburnmornings/rep-tim-griffin-tries-to-justify-voting-for-1trillion-cromnibus-bill-on-doc-washburn-talk-show