Author Topic: Will Ukraine soon join NATO?  (Read 498 times)

Offline pjohns

Will Ukraine soon join NATO?
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:24:26 am »
Russia has attempted to discourage Ukraine from joining NATO; and President Obama has shown no special interest in Ukraine's joining NATO, either, as a negative response from Russia would force the president's hand on this matter.  But it now seems possible that Ukraine will bid for NATO membership, anyway; and not so much in spite of the fact that Russia strenuously objects to it, but rather, because of the fact that Russia strenuously objects to it.

Ukraine's parliament has now voted to end its official "nonaligned" status.  And this may be just a prelude to its seeking NATO membership:  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/12/23/ukraine-abandons-nonaligned-status-possibly-step-toward-seeking-nato-membership/

Comments?

Offline aligncare

Re: Will Ukraine soon join NATO?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 11:58:57 am »
Well, if nothing else, maybe this move on the part of Ukraine will help put an end to the silly habit people have of saying "the" Ukraine in reference to that country.  We don't say "the" Pennsylvania or "the" Texas, why should we say "the" Ukraine?

There. Got that off my chest.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:10:23 pm »
They'll bid for membership.

Whether they get it or not is problematic. Two years ago, sure, they'd have be in before the application had fully landed on the desk. Now, with them in a brush war with Russia that would pull NATO countries in automatically? I doubt it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline pjohns

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 07:23:35 am »
They'll bid for membership.

Whether they get it or not is problematic. Two years ago, sure, they'd have be in before the application had fully landed on the desk. Now, with them in a brush war with Russia that would pull NATO countries in automatically? I doubt it.

You may be correct in your analysis.

Still, I would contend that the US and its NATO allies--like Ukraine itself--should be all the more eager to give Ukraine NATO membership, precisely because of Russia's strenuous opposition to it.