Author Topic: The Race Card’s Steep Cost...By Thomas Sowell  (Read 5434 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Race Card’s Steep Cost...By Thomas Sowell
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/395255/print

NATIONAL REVIEW ONLINE         

December 23, 2014 12:00 AM
The Race Card’s Steep Cost
As the NYPD deaths show, demagogues’ constantly taking cheap shots at the police can end in tragedy.
By Thomas Sowell

The cold-blooded murder of two New York City policemen as they sat in their car is not only an outrage but also a wake-up call. It shows, in the most painful way, the high cost of having demagogues, politicians, mobs, and the media constantly taking cheap shots at the police.

Those cheap shots are in fact very expensive shots, not only to the police themselves but to the whole society. Someone once said that civilization is a thin crust over a volcano. The police are part of that thin crust. We have seen before our own eyes, first in Ferguson, Missouri and then in other communities, what happens when there is just a small crack in that crust, and barbarism and arson burst out.

That can happen anywhere. So can what happened in New York. “Send not to know for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee.”

It is a painful irony that, on the eve of the murders of these two police officers in New York, some of the city’s police were already saying that, in the event of their deaths, they did not want Mayor Bill de Blasio to attend their funerals.

We can only hope that Mayor de Blasio has some residual decency, so that he will not defile these two officers’ memorial services with his presence. No politician in the country has done more to play the race card against the police and spread the notion that cops are the big problem in minority communities.

It so happens that the police officers killed were both members of minority groups — Officer Rafael Ramos, Hispanic, and Officer Wenjian Liu, Asian. It so happens that a substantial part of the New York City police force are members of minority groups.

But you might never know that from the story told by demagogues who depict the black community as a “colonial” society being “occupied” by white policemen who target young blacks. Mayor de Blasio joined the chorus of those saying that they have to warn their black sons how to cope with this situation.

“What can we say to our sons?” some demagogues ask. They can say, “Don’t go around punching strangers, because it is only a matter of time before you punch the wrong stranger.”

Mayor de Blasio has made anti-police comments with Al Sharpton seated at his side. This is the same Al Sharpton with a trail of slime going back more than a quarter of a century, during which he has whipped up mobs and fomented race hatred from the days of the Tawana Brawley “rape” hoax of 1987 to the Duke University “rape” hoax of 2006 and the Ferguson riots of 2014.

Make no mistake about it. There is political mileage to be made siding with demagogues like Al Sharpton who, as demagogue-in-chief, has been invited to the White House dozens of times by its commander-in-chief.

Many in the media and among the intelligentsia cherish the romantic tale of an “us” against “them” struggle of beleaguered ghetto blacks defending themselves against the aggression of white policemen. The gullible include both whites who don’t know what they are talking about and blacks who don’t know what they are talking about either, because they never grew up in a ghetto. Among the latter are the President of the United States and his attorney general.

Such people readily buy the story that ghetto social problems today — from children being raised without a father to runaway rates of murder — are “a legacy of slavery,” even though such social problems were nowhere near as severe in the first half of the 20th century as they became in the second half.

You would be hard pressed to name just five examples from the first half of the 20th century of the kinds of ghetto riots that have raged in more than a hundred cities during the second half. Such riots are a legacy of the social degeneracy of our times.

Calling this social degeneracy “a legacy of slavery” is not just an excuse for those who engage in it, it is an excuse for the ideology of the intelligentsia behind the social policies that promoted this degeneracy.

Let those who have laid a guilt trip on people in our times, for evils done by other people in past centuries, at least face their own responsibility for the evil consequences of their own notions and policies. If they won’t do it, then the rest of us need to stop listening gullibly to what they are saying.

The race card is nothing to play with. It can ruin us all.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Race Card’s Steep Cost...By Thomas Sowell
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
We can only hope that Mayor de Blasio has some residual decency, so that he will not defile these two officers’ memorial services with his presence. No politician in the country has done more to play the race card against the police and spread the notion that cops are the big problem in minority communities.

He'll be there.  I've been mulling this over, would De Blasio go to these guys funerals? and I've decided he probably will even if asked not to.  To not go would be an admission he's been a demagogue.  He might even bring Sharpton with him as an added insult.

Make no mistake about it. There is political mileage to be made siding with demagogues like Al Sharpton who, as demagogue-in-chief, has been invited to the White House dozens of times by its commander-in-chief.

Indeed there is:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 08:01:12 pm »
He'll be there.  I've been mulling this over, would De Blasio go to these guys funerals? and I've decided he probably will even if asked not to.  To not go would be an admission he's been a demagogue.  He might even bring Sharpton with him as an added insult.

Indeed there is:

That picture is hideous in so many ways.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 08:04:56 pm »
That picture is hideous in so many ways.

I spotted that on FB this morning.  The gloss is pretty well off this rose.  That picture reminded me how ticked I was at his early endorsement of McConnell's reelection.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 08:14:48 pm »
I spotted that on FB this morning.  The gloss is pretty well off this rose.  That picture reminded me how ticked I was at his early endorsement of McConnell's reelection.

That's when it started going downhill for me too.  I don't know what happened to him - he started out so grand.  Filthy McConnell got to him somehow, on purpose - to ruin his chances.  I smell a new conspiracy theory.

**nononono*

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 09:13:29 pm »
Rand Paul was always a bit of a political dark horse for President, but these issues have managed to drive off what little base he had.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 10:13:30 pm »
From dark to dead horse...he's not even interesting any longer.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:31:00 pm »
 :thumbsup:
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
But you might never know that from the story told by demagogues who depict the black community as a “colonial” society being “occupied” by white policemen who target young blacks. Mayor de Blasio joined the chorus of those saying that they have to warn their black sons how to cope with this situation.

That's it, in a nutshell. Despicable demagogues, callously pitting one American against another for their own political purposes. No words can describe the contempt I feel for politicians of this ilk.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:12:41 pm »
That's it, in a nutshell. Despicable demagogues, callously pitting one American against another for their own political purposes. No words can describe the contempt I feel for politicians of this ilk.

What's infuriating about that is nobody seems to care they're being played.  I was just watching the mini-riot that popped up after the shooting of a thug last night near Ferguson.  The thug pointed a gun at the cop!  Fortunately, that's on tape this time.
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 11:08:03 am »
What's infuriating about that is nobody seems to care they're being played.  I was just watching the mini-riot that popped up after the shooting of a thug last night near Ferguson.  The thug pointed a gun at the cop!  Fortunately, that's on tape this time.

These incidents are excuses for some blacks to vent a deep-seated hostility to civil society and at a certain level this rage could be taken as a backlash to the condescension of poverty programs. It's curious that the breakdown in race relations is fomenting under a black president and a black Atty. Gen. Yes, very curious, indeed.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 11:29:51 am »

Because most blacks, damn most whites, don't approach triple digit IQs.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
These incidents are excuses for some blacks to vent a deep-seated hostility to civil society and at a certain level this rage could be taken as a backlash to the condescension of poverty programs. It's curious that the breakdown in race relations is fomenting under a black president and a black Atty. Gen. Yes, very curious, indeed.

"Curious?"  Do I detect a tiny amount of sarcasm in there?  LOL!

:huh?:

Merry Christmas to you and yours this day!
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »

Bell.  Curve.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »
The truth on IQs: American blacks lowest at mean of 85, Hispanics about 90, whites about 100 and finally Asians about 105.

These figures per the 1994 book "The Bell Curve" by Charles Murray and another guy.

The significant number is 85, and it is most unfashionable to repeat or discuss it. But it accounts for the post Civil Rights era results. Expectations got increased, but abilities didn't.

Farming and later the auto industry got mechanized. Fewer jobs for low skilled people. But government told them they need not work, got affirmative action into college, etc.

The end result is a resentful, angry bitter bunch of people with virtually no good guidance. This President has missed the best opportunity to tell them the truth.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:25:05 pm »
The truth on IQs: American blacks lowest at mean of 85, Hispanics about 90, whites about 100 and finally Asians about 105.

These figures per the 1994 book "The Bell Curve" by Charles Murray and another guy.

I always take issue with those figures.

How do you arrive at a median IQ for an ethnicity that's grouped together based on a common language?

Here are some Hispanics:

Do we subtract black Hispanics, Oriental Hispanics or Caucasian Hispanics from the calculation?

That's at best a very questionable factoid about the IQ of "Hispanics".
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2014, 11:36:34 pm »
I agree regarding Hispanics. Living my lifetime in America's Southwest, we have the full range from native American Indians as wee as Europeans, and mixtures thereof.

My guess is Spaniards score higher, and Indians lower. Somewhat puzzling would be how come between northeast Asia and the Americas the scores decline.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 12:09:56 am »
I always take issue with those figures.

How do you arrive at a median IQ for an ethnicity that's grouped together based on a common language?

Here are some Hispanics:

Do we subtract black Hispanics, Oriental Hispanics or Caucasian Hispanics from the calculation?

That's at best a very questionable factoid about the IQ of "Hispanics".
It's a "Bell Curve" of a statistical population  Fully a quarter of the population in that curve is well up over 110 on the IQ, which is great.  This is why Murray got in so much trouble over it because people saw the "mean" and assumed the vast majority is in that range (not "median," BTW.  Not the same thing).  That is a significant misunderstanding of statistics.    (The fact that almost everybody is a mix of the "races," makes it really, really difficult to fix the numbers.)  I personally don't care about what the various bell curves mean, because I see no practical application in my life.  Nobody does, except maybe cops and community organizers.  I assess the level of intelligence of the individuals I deal with, as they do mine, on a one-by-one basis and that's what matters.  The statistics of the population doesn't tell me squat.

Here is where study of the overall population is useful:  Don't walk in bad neighborhoods if you don't fit in.  Odds are you'll get mugged or worse by people who enjoy a placement well in the -3 Sigma of the bell curve.

Statistics is a very important component of what I do for a living, so this is the aquarium in which I swim.
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 12:20:20 am »
It's a "Bell Curve" of a statistical population  Fully a quarter of the population in that curve is well up over 110 on the IQ, which is great.  This is why Murray got in so much trouble over it because people saw the "mean" and assumed the vast majority is in that range (not "median," BTW.  Not the same thing).  That is a significant misunderstanding of statistics.    (The fact that almost everybody is a mix of the "races," makes it really, really difficult to fix the numbers.)  I personally don't care about what the various bell curves mean, because I see no practical application in my life.  Nobody does, except maybe cops and community organizers.  I assess the level of intelligence of the individuals I deal with, as they do mine, on a one-by-one basis and that's what matters.  The statistics of the population doesn't tell me squat.

Here is where study of the overall population is useful:  Don't walk in bad neighborhoods if you don't fit in.  Odds are you'll get mugged or worse by people who enjoy a placement well in the -3 Sigma of the bell curve.

Statistics is a very important component of what I do for a living, so this is the aquarium in which I swim.

That's why I adjusted my comments.  It's not black.  People seem to be growing less intelligent by the generation.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 03:21:51 am »
I didn't misunderstand anything when I read the book cover to cover, including footnotes about the technical subjects like statistics.

Sure it was controversial, but the IQ stats were compiled from a very large number of studies, analyzed, challenged, etc. In fact "experts" were polled and a majority of respondents said the statistics were valid.

In this case, the low intelligence explains the dysfunction of the sub-culture as well or better than anything else.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 06:00:05 am »
I didn't misunderstand anything when I read the book cover to cover, including footnotes about the technical subjects like statistics.

Sure it was controversial, but the IQ stats were compiled from a very large number of studies, analyzed, challenged, etc. In fact "experts" were polled and a majority of respondents said the statistics were valid.

In this case, the low intelligence explains the dysfunction of the sub-culture as well or better than anything else.

I wouldn't dispute Murray's findings, it was a thorough study.   As far as the sub-cultures go, they do self-select so it would not come as a shock to find similar intelligence performance levels among clans.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »
I wouldn't dispute Murray's findings, it was a thorough study.   As far as the sub-cultures go, they do self-select so it would not come as a shock to find similar intelligence performance levels among clans.

Well, I dispute them.

"Hispanic" is not a "clan" an ethnicity or even a culture. It is a fabricated classifgication of people based on a common language created by Richard Nixon. There were no "Hispanics" prior to 1973.

Identifying the IQ of Hispanics makes as much sense as classifying you, some guy from Cameroon, a woman from Sierra Leone and a kid from South Africa as one culture/ethnicity since all share English as a primary language then establishing your IQ based in that.

Murray has a race (Caucasian/white) another race (Negroid/black) another race (Mongolian/yellow), then a cultural grouping (Hispanics) and that cultural grouping is made up of a conglomerate of all races.

How does that make any sense?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:04:21 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »
It would seem to me that only 'pedigree' persons should be considered among the people, in polls like this.

Luis is correct about Hispanics, but as a Dutch-German/Sicilian-Italian I should be eligible either, as everyone who has ever seen True Romance can tell you, the Sicilian gene was forever changed by the invasion of the Moors.

In a sense, I'm more black than Sen Elizabeth Warren is Cherokee.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 06:43:05 pm »
It would seem to me that only 'pedigree' persons should be considered among the people, in polls like this.

Luis is correct about Hispanics, but as a Dutch-German/Sicilian-Italian I should be eligible either, as everyone who has ever seen True Romance can tell you, the Sicilian gene was forever changed by the invasion of the Moors.

Why you is ain't a Democrat?

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 06:51:57 pm »

As a southern Italian, I don't lose too much sleep about it.  The oldest person tracked with my last name, went from Palermo to one of the smaller towns on the Adriatic.  Whether or not she's a direct ancestor, I don't know.  I don't play by the "One Drop Rule".