Author Topic: Woman arrested as 'teabagger' wins $1.2 million By Thomas Lifson  (Read 289 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/12/woman_arrested_as_teabagger_wins_12_million.html

December 15, 2014
Woman arrested as 'teabagger' wins $1.2 million
By Thomas Lifson

It is unlikely that any of the protesters clogging the streets of New York, Washington, and other cities this weekend over alleged police abuse would sympathize with Nancy Genovese, but I do. The New York Post reports (hat tips: Instapundit, Breitbart and iOTW Report:

A Long Island mother of three arrested for taking pictures of an Air National Guard base in the Hamptons ​– ​while ​armed to the teeth with a licensed assault rifle in her car — has been awarded ​$1.12 million​ by a federal jury over her false prosecution by Suffolk County authorities.

As Breitbart noted, “armed to the teeth” in this case means in possession of one legal rifle. C’mon, NY Post! Cut it out.

Genovese was arrested while taking pictures outside an Air National Guard base:

Southhampton cops searched her and found a legally owned rifle that she was transporting from a nearby rifle range. She contends a deputy sheriff arrived on the scene later and said to her, “I bet you are one of those Tea Party people.” When Genovese said she’s gone to Tea Party rallies, he allegedly said, “You’re a real right-winger, aren’t you?” and “You are a ‘Teabagger’” and then added that she’d be arrested for terrorism to make an example of other “right wingers.”

Breitbart notes that she was jailed for four days until she could post $50,000 bail.

The court dismissed the charge in November 2009, but [her lawyer] Brewington claims she “was subjected to humiliation and was strip-searched” during her four days in prison.

“Ms Genovese was subjected to a level of abuse because they did not share the same political views as she did and saw this as an excuse to deny her even the most basic civil rights,” he said.

The officer’s alleged behavior was outrageous, locking up someone for her political views on a bogus charge. But I have to say the award is a lot of money, even though I am sympathetic. I am not a fan of outsize lawsuit awards, even when I agree with the cause.

I’d like to know what, if any, punishment was suffered by the officer who abused her and cost the taxpayers over a million bucks.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34