Author Topic: House passes spending bill with little time to spare  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

House passes spending bill with little time to spare
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:55:11 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/politics/spending-bill-brink/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Washington (CNN) -- 9:37 p.m. update: The House has enough votes to pass the spending bill as voting continues.

9:38 p.m. update: The House passed the spending bill 219-206.

The House on Thursday narrowly approved a massive $1.1 trillion government spending bill, despite objections from conservatives and liberals who opposed it.

The vote was 219-206.

Passage of the bipartisan measure -- just hours before government agencies run out of money -- should give it some momentum in the Senate, though the outcome in that chamber remains unclear. President Barack Obama is expected to sign it into law.

The bill would keep most of the government running through the end of September, but only funds the Department of Homeland Security through February, when Republicans have vowed to pass new restrictions on the agency responsible for carrying out Obama's executive orders on immigration.

The vote followed personal pleas from White House officials -- including Obama and Vice President Joe Biden -- pressing congressional Democrats to advance the spending bill. White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough also urged Democratic lawmakers during a late-Thursday caucus meeting to vote for the bill because they would lose much of their leverage on future spending bills, lawmakers at the meeting said.

The vote capped a day of drama in the House. The chamber recessed for nearly seven hours as leaders scrambled to find votes to move the bill across the finish line. The chaos was fitting for a Congress that has already gone through one government shutdown and has been generally characterized by turmoil and inertia.

If anything, Thursday's tumult highlighted the disconnect between Obama and congressional Democrats. Nancy Pelosi, the House Democratic leader, came out in strong opposition to the measure even as Obama was pressing her members to back it.

Democrats aligned with Pelosi took issue with policy provisions added to the bill addressing campaign finance reform and a key provision of the financial overhaul.

"This bill puts a big bow on a holiday gift for the Wall Street contributors who get special treatment in the provisions of this bill," Rep. Lloyd Doggett, D-Texas, said ahead of the vote. "It's all about stuffing the silk stockings, and these people want to gamble with our money."

Conservative Republicans, meanwhile, fought the bill because they were angry that it didn't combat Obama's executive action on immigration.

It became clear earlier Thursday that Speaker John Boehner would have a tough time getting the package through the House. The chamber barely approved a routine procedural hurdle that sets up a vote on the spending bill later in the day. In an unusual move, Boehner was called upon to provide a key vote so the House could advance to the bill.

Though congressional leaders worked on backup options in case this bill failed, the Office of Management and Budget still discussed contingency plans on Thursday if the government was unable to open on Friday.

Amnesty Protesters Crashed the Capitol Hill Switchboard for Nothing.  Tough break Heritage Action.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House passes spending bill with little time to spare
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:02:12 am »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/12/11/house-gop-leaders-delay-vote-on-spending-bill-scramble-for-support/

House narrowly approves spending bill, legislation heads to Senate
Published December 11, 2014FoxNews.com

DEVELOPING: 

The House narrowly approved a vital spending bill Thursday night despite deep misgivings among liberals and conservatives alike, sending the measure to the Senate as a funding deadline looms.

The bill passed on a 219-206 vote, following an intense lobbying effort by House Republican leaders and the Obama White House.

Current government funding technically runs out at midnight Thursday, and lawmakers still may have to pass a stopgap measure to buy time as the Senate debates the main $1.1 trillion spending package.

Original Story

House Republican leaders and the Obama White House were struggling to secure the votes for a $1.1 trillion spending bill ahead of a midnight deadline Thursday, after forming an unlikely alliance in a bid to avert a partial government shutdown.

As the deadline neared, President Obama and Vice President Biden were calling House Democrats and appealing for their support. White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough also met on the Hill with the Democratic caucus, but sources inside the meeting told Fox News his presentation did little to persuade lawmakers.

Meanwhile, House GOP leaders were trying to sway conservative members who, for different reasons, were opposed to the package.

It remains unclear whether the push can produce a bipartisan majority to approve the package. Despite the difficulties, House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy insisted they would "get it done."

Earlier in the day, the bill narrowly cleared an important procedural hurdle, on a 214-212 test vote. But the tight vote, which almost failed, exposed serious problems -- all Democrats voted against it, while 16 Republicans defected.

GOP leaders then delayed a final vote, signaling they did not yet have enough support lined up to pass the legislation. A spending bill of some kind is needed to avert a government shutdown after the midnight deadline. A senior House GOP source told Fox News it is "very close."

Many conservatives continue to oppose the bill because it does not attack Obama's immigration executive actions, while liberal Democrats are angry over provisions dealing with campaign spending and financial regulation.

House Speaker John Boehner can only afford to lose 17 Republicans before needing Democrats, and it was unclear whether enough might support the bill.

Amid the drama, lawmakers could still avert a partial shutdown. Current government funding technically runs out at midnight Thursday, but Fox News is told the House is looking to quickly approve a two-day resolution to fund the government through Saturday at midnight, and buy time.

A spokeswoman with the White House budget office said they "believe that time remains for Congress to pass full-year appropriations for FY 2015, and prevent a government shutdown." Nevertheless, she said agencies are preparing "for all contingencies, including a potential lapse in funding" out of an "abundance of caution."

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said earlier that Obama supports the bill and would sign it -- despite having reservations about certain provisions.

But House Democrats were flexing their muscle, pushing back not only against GOP leaders but Obama's lobbying effort.

In a rare public rebuke of the president, Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said she was "enormously disappointed" he had decided to embrace the bill, which she described as an attempt at legislative blackmail by House Republicans.

Pelosi, D-Calif., sent an email note to colleagues saying it is "clear" Republicans don't have the votes. She claimed this increases Democrats' "leverage" to make demands -- namely, to remove two provisions her party doesn't like. They are: a provision rolling back one of the regulations imposed on the financial industry in the wake of the economic collapse of 2008, and one that permits wealthy contributors to increase the size of their donations to political parties for national conventions, election recounts or the construction of a headquarters building.

"They don't have the votes," Assistant Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn, D-S.C., told Fox News, referring to Republicans.

Even if the House does pass the $1.1 trillion spending bill, its fate in the Senate remains unclear.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., now a member of leadership, is going to the mat to convince Democrats not to support the spending bill in an effort to preserve the financial regulatory policy known as Dodd-Frank. Debate in the Senate on the main spending bill could easily last several more days, further underscoring the need for a stopgap spending bill.

Still, there are options.

Boehner could bring up a measure to fund the federal government for the entire fiscal year at the current spending level, doing nothing about immigration. (The current plan would fund the government through September 2015, but immigration services only through late February, teeing up a battle over immigration for early 2015).

If Boehner moves to extend all funding for a year, he'd have to rely on lots of Democrats, and would face an internal firestorm from conservatives -- though it would avert a government shutdown.

No one has actively spoken about this scenario. One senior aide told Fox News, "We're a long way from that happening."

The second theoretical option would be for Boehner to put a short-term spending bill on the floor which restricts money for immigration services. That would pass the House, but it would probably die in the Senate and face a veto threat by Obama -- though this option is not under active consideration at the moment.

Fox News' Chad Pergram and Ed Henry and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:07:19 am »
Big win for Obama....and Boehner helped...

Conservatives and voters left out to dry....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:47 am »

Not at all. This bill cuts IRS funding by $345 million, cuts the EPA AGAIN, and allows GOP opportunity to address immigration issue in February.

The negativity around this place has become intolerable. Not quite as bad as TOS, but almost.  Seems to me that ideological rigidity should be proving to its adherents that it's unrealistic. Gotta be flexible. Politics is the  art of the possible.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:21:33 am »

Earlier in the day, the bill narrowly cleared an important procedural hurdle, on a 214-212 test vote. But the tight vote, which almost failed, exposed serious problems -- all Democrats voted against it, while 16 Republicans defected.

Looks like 16 ( :silly: ) conservative patriots vote with every rat.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:25:52 am »
Not at all. This bill cuts IRS funding by $345 million, cuts the EPA AGAIN, and allows GOP opportunity to address immigration issue in February.

The negativity around this place has become intolerable. Not quite as bad as TOS, but almost.  Seems to me that ideological rigidity should be proving to its adherents that it's unrealistic. Gotta be flexible. Politics is the  art of the possible.

Yep.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:29:50 am »

I think the negativity around here is worse. Every subject that comes up we end up at each others throats. Its on par with TOS. Minus well call it TOS 2.0
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:31:39 am by Trigger »

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:30:59 am »
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll563.xml

67 Conservatives in the House.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:32:59 am »
At least there won't be a shutdown of the Government...  When the GOP takes control of the house and senate then things should be different..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 03:33:49 am »
I think the negativity around here is worse. Every subject that comes up we end up at each others throats.
Not me. I'm filled with the Christmas spirit and more optimistic about the future then anytime in the last 6 years.

SPQR

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:09 am »
I think the negativity around here is worse. Every subject that comes up we end up at each others throats. Its on par with TOS. Minus well call it TOS 2.0

There are posters who post here and continue to post at TOS

SPQR

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:38 am »
Not me. I'm filled with the Christmas spirit and more optimistic about the future then anytime in the last 6 years.

:silly: :silly:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:36:20 am »
I think the negativity around here is worse. Every subject that comes up we end up at each others throats.

I think that at the root of it all, is that there are a number of posters who want people that do not exist to do something that can't be done.

sink said 'Politics is the art of the possible". Many here do not seem to understand what is and isn't possible in the period of time they wish it to be done. A pendulum that has swung to one extreme of its arc can only return to the other extreme by tracing its route back, irrespective of anything that anyone watching that pendulum may want it to do.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:37:15 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:54 am »
I think that at the root of it all, is that there are a number of posters who want people that do not exist to do something that can't be done.

sink said 'Politics is the art of the possible". Many here do not seem to understand what is and isn't possible in the period of time they wish it to be done. A pendulum that has swung to one extreme of its arc can only return to the other extreme by tracing its route back, irrespective of anything that anyone watching that pendulum may want it to do.

I wish I can share your optimism.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:38:05 am »

You been spiking the eggnog again?

:whistle:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 03:38:46 am »
I wish I can share your optimism.

You can.

It's a choice.

However, mine isn't optimism. It's realism.

SPQR

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:14 am »
You can.

It's a choice.

However, mine isn't optimism. It's realism.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 03:48:35 am »

You know how to swing a pendulum from one extreme to the other without it retracing its original arc?

Do share.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 03:50:33 am »
Speaker John Boehner ‏@SpeakerBoehner 40m40 minutes ago

With a bipartisan vote, the House has passed a responsible bill to keep the government running and fulfill the people’s priorities. 1/4

This measure puts us on track to save taxpayers more than $2.1 trillion while protecting jobs and supporting our national defense. 2/4

By the House’s action, we are setting up a direct challenge to the president’s unilateral actions on immigration next month... 3/4

when there will be new Republican majorities in both chambers. The Senate should act on this bipartisan legislation in short order. 4/4

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 03:50:41 am »
At least there won't be a shutdown of the Government...  When the GOP takes control of the house and senate then things should be different..

I sincerely hope you are right. But if it's all the same  to you I won't hold my breath.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

SPQR

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 03:56:09 am »
You know how to swing a pendulum from one extreme to the other without it retracing its original arc?

Do share.

More proof we are at each others throats
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 03:58:56 am by Trigger »

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 03:57:41 am »
You been spiking the eggnog again?

I have small children and I'm jolly at Christmas time.  I'm extremely happy with our new GOP majorities and history tells me we are going to win the Presidency in 2016.  Plus gas prices are down and the economy looks to be picking up.  It is good to be an optimistic Republican in America.  I never touch egg nog...I love rum though.

Twas the night before Cromnibus...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:49:53 am by Once-Ler »

SPQR

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 04:01:26 am »
More proof we are at each others throats

Sinkspur is absolutely correct that the negativity is getting to a boiling point
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:02:01 am by Trigger »

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 04:47:19 am »
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2014/roll563.xml

67 Conservatives in the House.

Some of those guys won't be in the House next year
Bentivolio and McAllister were defeated in primaries
Cotton and Lankford are moving to the Senate
Bachmann retired.  This was her final vote and her side lost.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:48:26 am by Once-Ler »

Oceander

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 04:51:59 am »

Do share.

Non-Euclidean space!!!  With a dynamic metric tensor.