Author Topic: Are the president's kids ever fair game?  (Read 957 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Are the president's kids ever fair game?
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:01:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/225711-are-the-presidents-kids-ever-fair-game

December 02, 2014, 12:11 pm
Are the president's kids ever fair game?
By Judy Kurtz

Then-GOP staffer Elizabeth Lauten became a national piñata after going on a social media rant against Sasha and Malia Obama’s behavior and wardrobe, but she got ITK wondering: Are the youngest West Wing residents ever fair game when it comes to criticism?

“If you’re going to go after the president’s children, you’re going to get into quicksand very fast,” veteran GOP consultant Ron Bonjean told us.

Lauten sounded off on her Facebook page about the Obama daughters’ eye-rolling during the annual Thanksgiving turkey pardon last week.
“Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you’re both in those awful teen years but you’re a part of the First Family. Try showing a little class,” Lauten wrote, later adding: “Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot in the bar.”

Lauten resigned as Rep. Stephen Fincher’s (R-Tenn.) communications director on Monday.

Marj Halperin, a Chicago-based Democratic strategist, says critics who target a president’s kids are always out of bounds: “We do have standards about this in our country — they’re unwritten, but there are ethical standards.”

The communications consultant contends that even if a first family member gets into trouble with the law, “It shouldn’t be a headline, and it shouldn’t be major news, and it shouldn’t be personal to the children.”

She adds, “The family should never be held to the standards of the politician.”

But Bonjean says while first children are generally “off limits,” there could be some exceptions.

“If the president’s children were entering the public arena by commenting on public policies or getting into some type of high-profile trouble, well then yes, it’s going to be obvious that people would likely comment about what they have to say or their misdeeds," he says.

Former President George W. Bush’s then-19-year-old twin daughters made headlines after being cited for underage drinking at a Texas restaurant. But Chelsea Clinton, the daughter of Bush’s White House predecessor, was famously ripped apart in the media despite staying out of trouble.

“I have the indubious honor of being compared to a dog as a 13-year-old by Rush Limbaugh,” Clinton, 34, said in a speech at a college women’s leadership conference earlier this year. “That was not about me, that was about him.”

Doug Wead, a historian and author of All the Presidents’ Children, says Clinton, in particular, was “lampooned and ridiculed in the most hurtful ways.” But he says hurling insults at the kin of world leaders has been happening since the Middle Ages.

“You hear people think it’s so bitter today, politics,” Wead sighs. "Children in the past have been the subjects of vicious attacks — some of them false — in the media.”

Wead says when politicians make their family part of their bid for the White House — propping them up for photo opps and using them along the campaign trail — it opens them up to criticism.

“When Richard Nixon took Julie and Tricia on either arm and went with them everywhere with them on his arm, it helped him,” Weed says. While Nixon’s daughters “handled themselves very well,” if they had misspoken, “it’s possible they might have been fair game because the president had injected them into the campaign.”

But in the case of the Obama daughters, Wead says with a chuckle, “These kids have been so absolutely perfect that that’s why people reacted, like, ‘Give me a break.’”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

Re: Are the president's kids ever fair game?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:03:37 pm »
NO...unless they grown up and enter the political arena.
Then the gloves come off.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
NO...unless they grown up and enter the political arena.
Then the gloves come off.
Agree. The GOP/conservatism does itself no favors, by having associations with those holding such poor judgment.

A "communication director" for a GOP officeholder needs better judgment, so it is fitting she lost her job.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »
Not unless their last name is Bush..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »

Something those who advocate "taking the high road" conveniently forget.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:30:53 pm »

That is word for word what I was going to post.   :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 09:33:44 pm »
Does it really matter that she's the President's daughter? My goodness, if it were anyone else acting like an immature, childish buffoon in front of a national stage they'd be a laughingstock. But it's the President's daughter, a Democrat one at that, and all of a sudden you lose your ability to earn a living.

Of course, I don't have as strong of a filter on my thoughts as others do.

I hope another Congressman hires this woman in short order.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline speekinout

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 03:03:44 am »
Are the President's kids ever fair game? Well, I guess so if they were Margaret Truman, Luci & Lynda Bird Johnson, Amy Carter, Maureen Reagan, Chelsea Clinton, or Barbara & Jenna Bush. But not if they're 0bamas.

:tongue2:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:13:18 am »
I guess it just applies to Dem kids.  Trig Palin sure didn't get that courtesy. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 03:19:21 am »
As minors they should be off-limits.  Once they become independent adults, then they're as fair game as the rest of us are.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 04:24:43 am »
As minors they should be off-limits.  Once they become independent adults, then they're as fair game as the rest of us are.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 04:32:48 am »

Once they become boorish props, they're fair game. Dims didn't even need that to go after the Palin kids, including an infant, or the Bush daughters, etc., etc. As I posted on another thread here, you can't take the high ground with these mutts. All you get is the same view Custer had. Politics with these clowns is a zero sum game. They win. You lose. And if we don't learn that the rules are no rules, we'll keep getting our asses kicked. 
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline olde north church

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:44:04 am »
Well, they always point to Chelsea as the Clinton kid who made the news.  It was the half-zygote that got all the headlines.  Especially when it hit the blue dress.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:33 am »

IOW, you don't think the treatment that others like Margaret Truman, Lynda Bird Johnson, and the Bush twins got was bad because they were over 18? They didn't do anything that other young adults don't do, but they were attacked because of their fathers' position. That's not treating them like the rest of us.

I'd be happy if we never made news fodder of any Presidents' relatives, no matter what their age. Although I was amused by the antics of Billy Carter.  :laugh:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 01:29:11 am »

I completely agree. Just because the dems play in the sewers, doesn't mean we should. You either wallow in the filth or you rise above it.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 02:08:52 am »
IOW, you don't think the treatment that others like Margaret Truman, Lynda Bird Johnson, and the Bush twins got was bad because they were over 18? They didn't do anything that other young adults don't do, but they were attacked because of their fathers' position. That's not treating them like the rest of us.

I'd be happy if we never made news fodder of any Presidents' relatives, no matter what their age. Although I was amused by the antics of Billy Carter.  :laugh:

They always wondered where Miss Lillian bought her bras, she had the biggest boobs in D.C..
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 02:14:34 am »
They always wondered where Miss Lillian bought her bras, she had the biggest boobs in D.C..

:silly: