Author Topic: Observation: It ain't good  (Read 938 times)

Offline olde north church

Observation: It ain't good
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:59:25 am »
I was channel surfing the other day and caught an exchange about the new terrorist threats.  If this recently retired general is any indication, we are screwed.  The man was both technologically and culturally ignorant.  Way out of his depth.

Can't think of the name of the program -- CNN 4:00 PM EDT
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:19:36 am by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Observation: It ain't good
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:42:51 am »
Technologically ignorant is forgivable. Weapons and ancillary systems develop fast and it's easy to get left behind. That is what advisors are for, to make you aware of new capabilities.

It's the cultural ignorance that is frightening. You simply can not make or assess a strategy or indeed tactics if you don't have some idea what the ingrained, automatic response of the enemy is going to be.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »
Technologically ignorant is forgivable. Weapons and ancillary systems develop fast and it's easy to get left behind. That is what advisors are for, to make you aware of new capabilities.

It's the cultural ignorance that is frightening. You simply can not make or assess a strategy or indeed tactics if you don't have some idea what the ingrained, automatic response of the enemy is going to be.

I'm not talking about the enemy.  I'm talking about our population.  Like at the TOS and other people without televisions and radios, shut off from the outside world.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:17 pm »
I'm not talking about the enemy.  I'm talking about our population.  Like at the TOS and other people without televisions and radios, shut off from the outside world.

Ah - misread you, sorry. I thought you were talking about the General, though most of them show a fairly impenetrable ignorance too.

The fact is, it's not just TOS that shows that. To many Americans, the world is the USA. Everything outside the borders might well be one of those medieval maps with "Here be Dragons" on it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »
Ah - misread you, sorry. I thought you were talking about the General, though most of them show a fairly impenetrable ignorance too.

The fact is, it's not just TOS that shows that. To many Americans, the world is the USA. Everything outside the borders might well be one of those medieval maps with "Here be Dragons" on it.

Oh, I was talking about the General.  I wish I could find his name and his actual comments that perked up my ears.  My last education was a computer trade school 14 years ago.  That's Bronze Age compared to what we have today.
This is nothing less than the nuclear stuff that was going on to fight the Germans.  No less important.  This stuff needs to be done, as in yesterday.