General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Willie, Mickey and The Duke......Talking Baseball

(1/5) > >>

DCPatriot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKA9Zi5-_Y

A thread to talk about the best damned game on the planet.

DCPatriot:
HUGE Game Tonight.....The NATS vs the METS.

Strassburg (2.95) vs. Matt Harvey (0.82)

It doesn't get any better than this!   

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/gameflash/2013/04/19/47664/index.html#preview

This pitching matchup could have taken place seven months ago. Instead, it will happen Friday night when Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals put their franchise-record eight-game road winning streak in this series on the line against impressive New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey .

Strasburg was in line to pitch Sept. 12 in the final matchup with the Mets last season, but the Nationals made the controversial move of shutting down their ace, who was in his first full season following Tommy John surgery. Washington won its eighth straight at Citi Field that night behind starter John Lannan and Ryan Zimmerman , who hit a solo homer off Harvey in a 2-0 victory. Harvey, making his first start against Washington, struck out 10 in five-plus innings.

Harvey (3-0, 0.82 ERA) gets the ball after fanning nine in eight innings of a 4-2 victory at Minnesota on Saturday. He didn't give up a hit until Justin Morneau 's solo homer with two out in the seventh.

"I'm glad they've got another good young pitcher coming along that's showing a lot of promise," Nationals manager Davey Johnson, the Mets' manager from 1984-90, told the team's official website. " ... That's interesting, and I'll look forward to it when Friday comes."

Strasburg (1-2, 2.95) gets back to work after losing his second consecutive start, 3-1 to Atlanta on Saturday. The right-hander allowed two unearned runs in six innings after walking four and yielding six runs in his previous outing, a 6-3 loss at Cincinnati on April 7.

"I wanted to go out there and try to go deep in the ballgame, but unfortunately I threw a lot of pitches early (and finished with 112), so that kind of spoiled that," Strasburg said. "But at least I was able to go out and give six."

Strasburg was dominant in two starts at Citi Field last season, both wins.

Cincinnatus:
At 1:46 and again at 2:55 a pic of Willie Mays phenomenal catch of Vic Wertz's deep fly ball in the '54 world series. Incredible.

Thanks for the memories DCPatriot. My love of baseball developed during that period.

DCPatriot:

--- Quote from: Cincinnatus on April 19, 2013, 09:01:01 pm ---At 1:46 and again at 2:55 a pic of Willie Mays phenomenal catch of Vic Wertz's deep fly ball in the '54 world series. Incredible.

Thanks for the memories DCPatriot. My love of baseball developed during that period.

--- End quote ---

I can remember watching Willie Mays make that over-the-shoulder catch "live".....on my Grandmother's 13 inch B&W Admiral.

had to sit on the floor right in front....my Dad telling me I made a better door than a window.  LOL!

Cincinnatus:
HUGE Game Tonight.....The NATS vs the METS.

Strassburg (2.95) vs. Matt Harvey (0.82)

It doesn't get any better than this!

DCPatriot, do you recall the battle between Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale for the shut out record? At Dodger Stadium in 1968 the two pitched against one another and by mere chance I happened to be there. I had bought tickets way in advance just so I could take my father, who loved baseball, but not knowing who was pitching. Drysdale got scored on early, ending his streak, and the Cardinals won the game. But I was a witness to baseball history.

p.s. an era of 0.82 is phenomenal but the season is long. Bob Gibson ended the '68 season with an era of 1.12.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version