General Category > General Discussion

Court sets aside 2 of 4 Casey Anthony convictions

(1/5) > >>

Cincinnatus:
A Florida appellate court on Friday set aside two of the four convictions Casey Anthony faced for lying to detectives during the investigation into her missing 2-year-old daughter.

Judges on the 5th District Court of Appeals agreed with Anthony's attorneys that two of the charges constituted double jeopardy, or being convicted or punished more than once for the same crime.

"We cannot conclude that the Legislature intended to authorize separate punishment for each false statement made during a single interview," the judges said in their ruling.
http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?ps=931&rip_id=<DA41BI402%40news.ap.org>

Rapunzel:
I watched the Lifetime movie about her trial last weekend. What a dumb jury... but then if the prosecution had done a better job searching the computer and had found the "how to suffocate someone without being detected" search that "might" have helped.

Lipstick on a Hillary:
I watched it too.  Agreed.  But even without that "effective suffocation" Google search or whatever it was that wasn't picked up, a reasonably intelligent bunch would have convicted her anyway, at least of second degree murder--they had the option of that verdict too.

Rapunzel:

--- Quote from: Lipstick on a Hillary on January 26, 2013, 03:58:36 am ---I watched it too.  Agreed.  But even without that "effective suffocation" Google search or whatever it was that wasn't picked up, a reasonably intelligent bunch would have convicted her anyway, at least of second degree murder--they had the option of that verdict too.

--- End quote ---

These jury verdicts we're seeing lately (from OJ forward) are indicative of how far our education has fallen in teaching critical thinking skills.

Lipstick on a Hillary:
Are you watching any of the Jodi Arias trial going on in AZ right now?  Let's see if the jury is dumb enough to let HER get off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version