Author Topic: Supreme Court Emergency Decision To End All Firearm Permits Nationwide Gets Put Into Motion  (Read 323 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Supreme Court Emergency Decision To End All Firearm Permits Nationwide Gets Put Into Motion
©Image Credit: NBC News / 9NEWS

In a groundbreaking development, the Supreme Court is set to consider an emergency decision that could potentially end all firearm permits nationwide. This move comes after a significant legal battle challenging New York’s stringent permit requirements for purchasing and possessing rifles and shotguns. The case has been advanced to the full Supreme Court for review, marking a pivotal moment for Second Amendment rights in the United States.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-emergency-decision-to-end-all-firearm-permits-nationwide-gets-put-into-motion/ss-BB1mQnhh?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=310bb84e5e014f3a934bc59e559102bb&ei=13
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Initial Legal Proceedings

Initially, the emergency application to halt the permit requirements was submitted to Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who is responsible for the Second Circuit. However, Justice Sotomayor denied the application. The plaintiffs then resubmitted the application to Justice Clarence Thomas, who referred it to the full court for consideration. This significant step means the case will be reviewed in a Supreme Court conference.

The Bruen Precedent

The plaintiffs’ argument hinges on the precedent set by the Supreme Court’s decision in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen. In Bruen, the Court struck down New York’s “proper cause” requirement for concealed carry permits, stating it violated the Second and Fourteenth Amendments. The plaintiffs assert that the current permit requirements for purchasing and possessing rifles and shotguns are similarly unconstitutional.

Legal Arguments

The case, officially titled Joseph Srour v. City of New York, challenges the constitutionality of New York City’s discretionary licensing scheme. The district court previously granted a permanent injunction against the “good moral character” requirement, ruling it improper. However, the city appealed, and the Second Circuit granted a stay on the injunction, allowing the permit requirements to remain in effect pending appeal.

Implications of the Supreme Court Review

If the Supreme Court rules in favor of the plaintiffs, it could lead to a nationwide end to discretionary firearm permit requirements. Such a decision would affirm that individuals have the right to purchase and possess firearms without arbitrary restrictions imposed by local authorities.

Offline roamer_1

I've never had a 'firearm permit' in my life. I have often carried, often concealed. Never had a permit, one.

Why the hell would anyone obey that?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I've never had a 'firearm permit' in my life. I have often carried, often concealed. Never had a permit, one.

Why the hell would anyone obey that?
In some jurisdictions, there is a requirement for a permit to purchase a firearm, not just a requirement to carry one concealed or otherwise. I've had a carry permit for pistol or revolver from 1982 here (issued by the county Sheriff, at first, then transitioned to a permit to carry firearms and/or dangerous weapons at the State Level some years later), which I maintain to keep me in the 'good guys' database, but is wholly unneeded now with Constitutional Carry in ND. When traveling elsewhere, however, that card has a little weight in the case of a traffic stop, showing I am not a person given to criminal behaviour.

There are states which do not recognize reciprocity, and that shouldn't even matter, as the Second Amendment is all the permit anyone should need. Traveling across the country can be a real mess of rules that change with imaginary lines, and what we consider normal and prudent behaviour out west here is pure felony territory in some places. It's nuts if you ask me, but I just walk softly when there, and try not to spend the night.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

In some jurisdictions, there is a requirement for a permit to purchase a firearm, not just a requirement to carry one concealed or otherwise. I've had a carry permit for pistol or revolver from 1982 here (issued by the county Sheriff, at first, then transitioned to a permit to carry firearms and/or dangerous weapons at the State Level some years later), which I maintain to keep me in the 'good guys' database, but is wholly unneeded now with Constitutional Carry in ND. When traveling elsewhere, however, that card has a little weight in the case of a traffic stop, showing I am not a person given to criminal behaviour.

There are states which do not recognize reciprocity, and that shouldn't even matter, as the Second Amendment is all the permit anyone should need. Traveling across the country can be a real mess of rules that change with imaginary lines, and what we consider normal and prudent behaviour out west here is pure felony territory in some places. It's nuts if you ask me, but I just walk softly when there, and try not to spend the night.

Well... I just won't go to such a place. But if I did, I would surely be packing.
What the law has to say has always been a bit of a gray area. What's up in the holler stays in the holler, after all...  :whistle:

When the law tells me not to defend myself, I'm not going to listen very hard.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well... I just won't go to such a place. But if I did, I would surely be packing.
What the law has to say has always been a bit of a gray area. What's up in the holler stays in the holler, after all...  :whistle:

When the law tells me not to defend myself, I'm not going to listen very hard.
With all appearances of complying with the rules where I am, I will do what I deem most prudent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline andy58-in-nh

I’m glad to hear this. I live in New Hampshire, where we have constitutional carry. If I have to drive to Maine or to Vermont, and I’ve got a pistol in my car as I frequently do, no problem. All three states have constitutional carry. But if I’m going to Massachusetts to pick something up, and I happen to forget to remove the pistol from my glove box, and if I were to get pulled over and my car is searched, then I’m in jail for years. It makes no sense.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Boy would this tick off Biden and his leftist cohorts...  popcorn :2popcorn:
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....