Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 502009 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #1200 on: January 28, 2018, 06:06:52 pm »
@Applewood

Keep us in the loop about Snowflake

Well, it doesn't look good.  I thought after a day of hiding, Snowflake would come out and be sociable, but it looks like he's gone feral.  He no longer trusts me.  He has taken to hiding under a cedar chest with a narrow opening at the bottom.  I don't know how he managed to squish himself through the opening because I can  barely get my hands through.  He does come out to use the litter and to eat -- I know because some of the food has disappeared and I can see his "deposits" in the litter box.  What I can't tell is whether or not he is drinking.  He has kidney disease and it's important that he stay hydrated.  That's why I was given the IV and some injectable fluids.  But if I can't coax him out from under the cedar chest, how can I possibly treat him? 

I'm supposed to return Snowflake to the vet next Friday for more blood tests to check his progress, but there is no point if I can't get him out from under the cedar chest to give him his treatments.  Cyber suggested having vet techs come to the house to help, but I don't know if this is such  a good idea.  He will probably bite and scratch, and they may have trouble reaching under the cedar chest to pull him out.  I'm afraid trying to treat him will just cause more stress for him and it may do more harm than good.   

I think I'm just going to admit defeat and let nature take its course.  I've had 14 wonderful years with him.  Perhaps it just isn't wise to prolong the inevitable.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1201 on: January 28, 2018, 09:39:42 pm »
Well, it doesn't look good.  I thought after a day of hiding, Snowflake would come out and be sociable, but it looks like he's gone feral.  He no longer trusts me.  He has taken to hiding under a cedar chest with a narrow opening at the bottom.  I don't know how he managed to squish himself through the opening because I can  barely get my hands through.  He does come out to use the litter and to eat -- I know because some of the food has disappeared and I can see his "deposits" in the litter box.  What I can't tell is whether or not he is drinking.  He has kidney disease and it's important that he stay hydrated.  That's why I was given the IV and some injectable fluids.  But if I can't coax him out from under the cedar chest, how can I possibly treat him? 

I'm supposed to return Snowflake to the vet next Friday for more blood tests to check his progress, but there is no point if I can't get him out from under the cedar chest to give him his treatments.  Cyber suggested having vet techs come to the house to help, but I don't know if this is such  a good idea.  He will probably bite and scratch, and they may have trouble reaching under the cedar chest to pull him out.  I'm afraid trying to treat him will just cause more stress for him and it may do more harm than good.   

I think I'm just going to admit defeat and let nature take its course.  I've had 14 wonderful years with him.  Perhaps it just isn't wise to prolong the inevitable.

Woukd tuna coax him out and give some hydration?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline verga

« Reply #1202 on: January 28, 2018, 09:47:59 pm »
My little boy, Snowflake, is not doing well.  Kidney disease and low blood count.  Was in the vet hospital for more than a week.  Picked him up yesterday, but he has been hiding ever since.  Won't come out.  Won't eat.  I was also given a whole slew of meds to give him, including one in an IV bag.  I have no idea how I'm going to administer these.  Yes, I was given a demonstration, but I'm no nurse.  I don't really have any help.   He's feisty -- bites and scratches, hisses and is good at getting away.  He's strong even though he's sick. Can't possibly hold him down and administer any of these meds.  Maybe it's time for me to let my little buddy go.  He's 14.
Sorry to hear this.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1203 on: January 29, 2018, 02:38:03 pm »
Thank you all. 

Snowflake finally emerged from hiding late last night, But he's not eating and he won't allow me to "inflict" health care on him.  So right now he's under the bed.  I was thinking of hiring vet techs to come to the house, but honestly, I don't know that I can afford the expense.  Already spent about six grand for Snowflake's  care and who knows how long this care will be needed.  For 7 days a week, the cost is going to be staggering. 

So I'm just going to keep Snowflake at home and wait for the inevitable. I'd rather have him home in familiar surroundings and relative comfort rather than surrounded by strangers poking and prodding him. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1204 on: January 29, 2018, 05:52:56 pm »

@Applewood

Has the vet injected him with IV fluid subcutaneously? I had to do this with my beloved Yorkie, Heather Quincy MacFeather for her kidney failure. Vet did this every couple of days. If I'd known that she was end-stage, I'm not sure I would have put her through it. She had to be put to rest a few days later. She was fourteen and I didn't want to let her go. She was so close to death that the shot the vet gave her to relax her before the killing shot did the job. She didn't want to leave me, either. I have never been able to get another Yorkie. I adopt small terrier mixes now.

The hardest ting we do is the final kindness. Still miss my girl- since 1991.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1205 on: January 29, 2018, 07:11:58 pm »

@Applewood

Has the vet injected him with IV fluid subcutaneously? I had to do this with my beloved Yorkie, Heather Quincy MacFeather for her kidney failure. Vet did this every couple of days. If I'd known that she was end-stage, I'm not sure I would have put her through it. She had to be put to rest a few days later. She was fourteen and I didn't want to let her go. She was so close to death that the shot the vet gave her to relax her before the killing shot did the job. She didn't want to leave me, either. I have never been able to get another Yorkie. I adopt small terrier mixes now.

The hardest ting we do is the final kindness. Still miss my girl- since 1991.

Yes, Snowflake was injected subcutaneously and the vets gave me the needles and supplies in addition to the IV bag.   He was in the hospital for about 10 days and of course, they have staff to do these things.  I'm by myself.  My family and friends either still work, have other obligations or they don't know how to do this either and understandably are afraid of being clawed to shreds.

I do understand how hard it is to end our furry friends' lives.  I went through that with my previous cat, Whiskers.  The difference is that with Whiskers, I was told her life might be pronged for a max of 2 weeks.  I knew she was suffering, so I figured why prolong the inevitable.  After she was gone, I second guessed my decision, but then I had a dream about her.  She looked like her normal fluffy self, not the thin, bedraggled mess she had become shortly before the end.  I took that dream to be a sign I did the right thing.  I'd like to think Whiskers is in a happier place, probably doing what always made her happy -- tormenting my previous cat, Peaches.  LOL 

But with Snowflake, I keep thinking if I had known my little boy would have to go through all this "health care," and that it would only prolong the inevitable, I might not have put him through it all.  The vet said his afflictions were treatable, but he did not say that most likely at some point in the not-to-distant future, Snowy would succumb anyway.  I wish the doctor had been more forthcoming as Whiskers' vet had been.

Yes, I still miss Whiskers and Peaches and I will miss Snowflake when he departs this earth.  It's natural.  They are family.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story about your beloved Yorkie.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1206 on: January 29, 2018, 07:24:13 pm »
Yes, Snowflake was injected subcutaneously and the vets gave me the needles and supplies in addition to the IV bag.   He was in the hospital for about 10 days and of course, they have staff to do these things.  I'm by myself.  My family and friends either still work, have other obligations or they don't know how to do this either and understandably are afraid of being clawed to shreds.

I do understand how hard it is to end our furry friends' lives.  I went through that with my previous cat, Whiskers.  The difference is that with Whiskers, I was told her life might be pronged for a max of 2 weeks.  I knew she was suffering, so I figured why prolong the inevitable.  After she was gone, I second guessed my decision, but then I had a dream about her.  She looked like her normal fluffy self, not the thin, bedraggled mess she had become shortly before the end.  I took that dream to be a sign I did the right thing.  I'd like to think Whiskers is in a happier place, probably doing what always made her happy -- tormenting my previous cat, Peaches.  LOL 

But with Snowflake, I keep thinking if I had known my little boy would have to go through all this "health care," and that it would only prolong the inevitable, I might not have put him through it all.  The vet said his afflictions were treatable, but he did not say that most likely at some point in the not-to-distant future, Snowy would succumb anyway.  I wish the doctor had been more forthcoming as Whiskers' vet had been.

Yes, I still miss Whiskers and Peaches and I will miss Snowflake when he departs this earth.  It's natural.  They are family.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story about your beloved Yorkie.

Out of all the people in the world, you are the one who knows when it's his time.  Hang tough. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1207 on: January 29, 2018, 07:39:47 pm »
@Sanguine

Thank you.  I will by God's grace.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1208 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
@Sanguine

Thank you.  I will by God's grace.

We've had to put pets down.  They've been pretty good about telling us when it's time. Still broke my heart.  It's tragic that we always outlive them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1209 on: January 29, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »

@Applewood

My thoughts...for what they're worth...

If the vet knew, but didn't tell you, that's awful!

But in any case, you did what you thought was right with the information you had at the time, and it has given you some additional time with him.  Even if he passes, this will have given you some time for goodbye.  Treasure the time you have and don't judge the past. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1210 on: January 29, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
Quote from: Freya
What a cutie

Thanks @Freya

@Applewood ... sorry to hear about your little one. I can't believe they would have you try to get an IV yourself, unless it just goes right under the loose skin like a shot. Holding a cat is not an easy thing to do with more that one person, I know, I worked for a vet in my youth.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2018, 10:49:41 pm »
Well, guys, this morning, I had my beloved Snowflake euthanized.  I wasn't able to find anyone willing to help administer medications to him and after a couple of failed attempts on my own, I stopped trying.  I was going to just let him live out his last days at home, but he wasn't eating, seemed to be in constant distress and meowed all the time.  He had become so thin, his bones were protruding.  I didn't think it was right for him to suffer just so I could have a few more days or weeks with him, so I decided to end his suffering. 

I had about 14 good years with him.  He came along about the last year of my previous cat's life.  I'd like to think God sent him to me to be a comfort when my prior beloved cat passed on.  I look upon today as returning God's gift to Him.  A friend of mine who believes in reincarnation said when Snowflake passed, he was reborn as a kitten somewhere -- recycled, so to speak.  If true, I hope he is in a loving home. 

Anyway, thank you all for letting me go on about my cat.  God bless you all.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1212 on: February 03, 2018, 10:56:55 pm »
Well, guys, this morning, I had my beloved Snowflake euthanized.  I wasn't able to find anyone willing to help administer medications to him and after a couple of failed attempts on my own, I stopped trying.  I was going to just let him live out his last days at home, but he wasn't eating, seemed to be in constant distress and meowed all the time.  He had become so thin, his bones were protruding.  I didn't think it was right for him to suffer just so I could have a few more days or weeks with him, so I decided to end his suffering. 

I had about 14 good years with him.  He came along about the last year of my previous cat's life.  I'd like to think God sent him to me to be a comfort when my prior beloved cat passed on.  I look upon today as returning God's gift to Him.  A friend of mine who believes in reincarnation said when Snowflake passed, he was reborn as a kitten somewhere -- recycled, so to speak.  If true, I hope he is in a loving home. 

I know that was tough.  You don't want to let them go.  You did the right thing. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1213 on: February 03, 2018, 11:02:42 pm »
@Applewood

I'm so sorry to hear about Snowflake. I hope you are ok. I like the kitten reincarnation idea, that's really beautiful.

We are here if you need us, and we care. Bless you and Snowflake, who is now a kitten angel

Ping
@Hopalong Ginsberg
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1214 on: February 03, 2018, 11:39:17 pm »
Thanks for letting us share, @Applewood.  We know it was difficult, and you did the right thing today. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #1215 on: February 03, 2018, 11:59:30 pm »
@Applewood

I'm so sorry to hear about Snowflake. I hope you are ok. I like the kitten reincarnation idea, that's really beautiful.

We are here if you need us, and we care. Bless you and Snowflake, who is now a kitten angel

Ping
@Hopalong Ginsberg

I am so sorry.  I know it hurts, @Applewood.

Thanks @Freya
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1216 on: February 04, 2018, 12:16:43 am »

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Offline verga

« Reply #1217 on: February 04, 2018, 12:52:02 am »

@Applewood I am sorry for your loss.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1218 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:10 am »
@Applewood, so sorry to hear that.  Sounds like you did exactly the right thing. 

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1219 on: February 04, 2018, 04:57:28 am »
Thank you all for your help and support.   888heartkitty

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1220 on: February 04, 2018, 06:02:28 am »
Thank you all for your help and support.   888heartkitty

@Applewood

Sorry I'm late...I was away all day.  But I have nothing to say other that what others have said. I'm so sooty for your loss, and you did the right thing.  Thank you for sharing Snowflake with us.
+++++++++

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #1221 on: February 04, 2018, 08:27:13 am »
@Applewood

Ping
@Hopalong Ginsberg
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18

@Applewood I'm very sorry. May you see him again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1222 on: February 04, 2018, 12:22:33 pm »
@Suppressed
@Hopalong Ginsberg

Thank you both for your kind words and support. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1223 on: February 05, 2018, 12:26:25 am »

My sincere condolences. I had to make this decision for the ninth time last June. Never easy, but at least, our dear ones are no longer suffering.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #1224 on: February 07, 2018, 02:05:07 am »
@Freya

Have to tell you this story while it is fresh in my mind.  As a matter of fact it is happening right now!

The cat toy delivery man dropped off a new toy for the teenage boys, Hobbes and Chewy. I opened the package on our bed knowing at least five or six cats would have to check out the new toy.  That is normal. Then I set it on the floor.

The toy is a three-level round roller ball with a ball on each level.  I thought they might enjoy it.  Yeah!  So far they have put this new toy on top of a single level roller ball toy.  Got bored with that, then they covered it with plastic wrap which was in the innards of the box.  Then they scooted it out of our room, all the way down the hallway.  @Cyber Liberty told me they probably wanted to share it with the remaining cats in the house.

They may have, but not for very long because now it is back in its original spot where I opened it and Cyber put it together.

So they have pushed and pushed and pushed. Can you think of a reason why they did this?  I just can't quite figure out kitties.  You just never know what is in the back of their little heads.

These two youngest just make us laugh until we can't stop laughing.  The older cats just love these two.  I can't figure that out either.

You need a kitty or five!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:06:40 am by Slip18 »
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra