General Category > Shooting Sports

Welcome to the Shooting Range

(1/4) > >>

ABX:
With the blessings of the owners of this forum, we are providing a forum topic for all things that go boom.  From shooting, to gunsmiths, to rights. Remember, you are the first defense of your life, liberty, and property.

To tell you about myself. I am an enthusiast. I am not a professional gunsmith or instructor although I have been helping people learn skills for several years. I am an amateur with a collection, that was sadly lost in a boating accident,  :donttalktome" that consisted of about three dozen vintage and modern arms. I am here to learn as much as help with this forum.

txradioguy:
Just to add a little update to what @AbaraXas said above...with the blessing of @mystery-ak we are going to add issues dealing with the 2nd Amendment to this area too.

Articles related to the myriad of things Liberals are trying to do to strip of us of our RTKBA as well as the efforts to stop the destruction of the 2nd Amendment are welcome here.

I am a shooting enthusiast as well.  And while not yet a member of the NRA...I plan on getting my membership when I return to the U.S. in a couple months as well as purchasing a couple of weapons as well.

SZonian:
Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.

Elderberry:

--- Quote from: SZonian on June 22, 2016, 02:53:54 pm ---Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

I know this is an old thread.

On the FTF rounds, did you check the primer indentation? Were they light hits? Did you load them again to see if they would fire on a second or third hit to determine if the primers were bad. If the indentations were good, then it is not a firing pin problem. More likely bad ammo.

If they were light hits, by all means install the stronger spring. I would just use the factory pin and have a spare in case it fails. You shouldn't need a gunsmith.

SZonian:
@Elderberry

At the time, I thought they were just "bad" rounds...didn't look at the primers or cycle them through again to check.

Thanks for the advice/tips.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version