Author Topic: Welcome to the Shooting Range  (Read 20978 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Welcome to the Shooting Range
« on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:33 am »
With the blessings of the owners of this forum, we are providing a forum topic for all things that go boom.  From shooting, to gunsmiths, to rights. Remember, you are the first defense of your life, liberty, and property.

To tell you about myself. I am an enthusiast. I am not a professional gunsmith or instructor although I have been helping people learn skills for several years. I am an amateur with a collection, that was sadly lost in a boating accident,  :donttalktome" that consisted of about three dozen vintage and modern arms. I am here to learn as much as help with this forum.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:08:51 am by Abaraxas »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Welcome to the Shooting Range
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:22 pm »
Just to add a little update to what @AbaraXas said above...with the blessing of @mystery-ak we are going to add issues dealing with the 2nd Amendment to this area too.

Articles related to the myriad of things Liberals are trying to do to strip of us of our RTKBA as well as the efforts to stop the destruction of the 2nd Amendment are welcome here.

I am a shooting enthusiast as well.  And while not yet a member of the NRA...I plan on getting my membership when I return to the U.S. in a couple months as well as purchasing a couple of weapons as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:53:54 pm »
Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:30:48 pm »
Looking for a good smithy or knowledgeable person who can upgrade/replace a factory Ruger Mini30 firing pin to accommodate steel case ammo...I'm not looking for a factory pin, looking for one that is a harder (stronger) replacement for the factory pin.  I've also purchased a stronger hammer spring to go along with the mod.

I've shot steel case in it and have had about a 2-3% FTF...not bad, but I want 0% FTF...

Thanks in advance.

I know this is an old thread.

On the FTF rounds, did you check the primer indentation? Were they light hits? Did you load them again to see if they would fire on a second or third hit to determine if the primers were bad. If the indentations were good, then it is not a firing pin problem. More likely bad ammo.

If they were light hits, by all means install the stronger spring. I would just use the factory pin and have a spare in case it fails. You shouldn't need a gunsmith.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:17:50 am »
@Elderberry

At the time, I thought they were just "bad" rounds...didn't look at the primers or cycle them through again to check.

Thanks for the advice/tips.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 02:20:09 am »
Ruger Mini 30 vs AK [Full Review]

http://www.tactical.center  http://www.tactical.center/ruger-mini-30-vs-ak-full-review_a87a0d60f.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&feature=youtu.be

Description

The Mini-30 failed to impress us on several levels. Covered in the video is its awful reliability, mediocre accuracy, lack of versatility, and high cost. Several different loads were tried in both desert and range testing. Better options exist in the form of the many excellent AK variant rifles exist. They too are possessing of quirks but you can count on them with your life. It would seem its 7.62x39mm chambering has transformed the excellent and time proven Mini-14 into something else. After shooting the Mini-30 we would not put it into any serious POU and we were astonished that Ruger markets this carbine with these known problems.

Nutnfancy Likability Scale: Not Recommended at this time

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:29:23 pm »
Ruger Mini 30 vs AK [Full Review]

http://www.tactical.center  http://www.tactical.center/ruger-mini-30-vs-ak-full-review_a87a0d60f.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41s-mIzcHFQ&feature=youtu.be

Description

The Mini-30 failed to impress us on several levels. Covered in the video is its awful reliability, mediocre accuracy, lack of versatility, and high cost. Several different loads were tried in both desert and range testing. Better options exist in the form of the many excellent AK variant rifles exist. They too are possessing of quirks but you can count on them with your life. It would seem its 7.62x39mm chambering has transformed the excellent and time proven Mini-14 into something else. After shooting the Mini-30 we would not put it into any serious POU and we were astonished that Ruger markets this carbine with these known problems.

Nutnfancy Likability Scale: Not Recommended at this time
Thanks for the video.  They're correct in saying "shame on Ruger".  Nothing "tactical" about an $800 rifle that requires brass ($1 per round) ammo to shoot reliably, but with mediocre accuracy.

It doesn't like the Eastern European steel case ammo / primers, although there are a couple of brands that do pretty well vs. some of the others...that's why I'm adding a stronger hammer spring and firing pin to overcome that FTF problem (hopefully).  It's not bad for short range accuracy.  I haven't fired it in some time, should think about getting out soon.

I hesitate to go for any AK or AR variant here in CA...for obvious reasons, so that's why I chose the Mini 30.  Once I leave CA, you can bet that an AR or AK/SKS will be purchased in very short order.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 06:32:50 pm »
Thanks for the video.  They're correct in saying "shame on Ruger".  Nothing "tactical" about an $800 rifle that requires brass ($1 per round) ammo to shoot reliably, but with mediocre accuracy.

@SZonian same line of thinking is what stopped my wife from getting a Kimber .380 and goinginstead with a Sig P238.

Kimber made it clear you should only fire "premium ammo" in their pistols if you wanted them to operate properly.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »
@SZonian same line of thinking is what stopped my wife from getting a Kimber .380 and goinginstead with a Sig P238.

Kimber made it clear you should only fire "premium ammo" in their pistols if you wanted them to operate properly.
@txradioguy

I truly don't understand/comprehend Ruger's position on this...they don't have to change much on this rifle to make it a competitor in the 7.62 market.  Yet, they won't.   :shrug:

Offline Idiot

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »

Oh my.....  Christmas came early!  I'm looking forward to shooting this baby.  Look out squirrels!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 12:22:27 am »
I have decimated the squirrels in my yard with my Diana 48

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:28:51 am »
I have decimated the squirrels in my yard with my Diana 48

Does yours have a silencer?....    ^-^

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 12:45:04 pm »
Does yours have a silencer?....    ^-^
Regretfully no.

And it doesn't look like they are going to pass the Hearing Protection Act. I would sure love to give my lathe a workout, making suppressors to mount on many of my firearms.

What am I saying? I forgot they were lost in that horrible boating accident.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 05:10:25 pm »
I have since stepped up to a Umarex Gauntlet

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 12:34:35 pm »
American Excellence

Citizen Free Press
@CitizenFreePres

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556356171279126528

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2023, 02:34:48 pm »
American Excellence

Citizen Free Press
@CitizenFreePres

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556356171279126528

The original three gun competition.

That kid is good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2023, 11:23:22 am »
3.0 Carbine Drill: Practical Exercise For The M1 Carbine

American Rifleman by Justin Dyal August 19, 2023

Last year, my cousin gave me an M1 that was our grandfather’s, figuring that I would shoot it more than he was. The M1 served duty in World War II, and it was made by Saginaw Steering Gear. I was thrilled to have it and immediately cleaned it up. I believe this little carbine was the first centerfire rifle I ever fired as a youngster, and I remember being immediately taken by the gentle recoil and sharp bark of the M1. I began to think about shooting the early war M1 in context; firing it practically much as it may have been used in its role as a personal defense gun, or as a light rifle by those not typically armed with the Garand.

As I experimented, I settled on a 10-shot drill consisting of three stages, each having a time limit of 3 seconds. I call it the 3.0 Carbine Drill with the decimal point linking the .30 cal. and the 3.0 seconds.

The 3.0 Carbine Drill consists of rapid-fire strings of three shots fired at 10 and 20 yards, followed by single shots fired from classic marskman positions at 50 yards. The chart below details the stages.

Stage       Start Position         Rounds        Distance   Time Limit

1               High Port           3           10 yards        3
2               Low Ready           3           20 yards        3
3               Kneeling/Ready      1           50 yards        3
                Sitting/Ready       1           50 yards        3
                Prone/Ready         1           50 yards        3
                Standing/Ready      1           50 yards      NTL

For the target, I use a simple piece of 8.5”x11” copy paper folded in half to make a 5.5”x8.5” vital zone. I score the strings as hit or miss, e.g., 8/10. Late hits deduct a half point. The target is just small enough to give the shooter a nice challenge and force good technique. However, the target is large enough to allow even worn M1s with modest accuracy and surplus ammo to have a reasonable chance to clean the drill. My grandfather’s old carbine is humble in the accuracy department, but even with truly nasty surplus ammo, it is able to print 3.5” five-shot groups at 50 yards and can easily hold the half page. 

Whenever I teach, I often query groups of experienced shooters what they think is a practical time frame for a target of opportunity or to expect a shooter to respond within in an emergency beyond personal space. Without exception, the answers register around 3 seconds. This 3-second span is the golden default when looking for a practical time limit for many shooting tasks or scenarios. In this case, each stage has the shooter working deliberately but with a sense of urgency to make the time limit.

Stage 1 has the shooter at the high port position, with the butt of the carbine somewhere near the belt line and the muzzle up just under the line of sight. There is a round chambered and the safety on. The target is 10 yards away. In the chaos of battlefield conditions, whether the villages of Italy and France or the vegetation of a Pacific island, 10 yards is a good ballpark distance for soldiers unexpectedly coming face to face with enemy. In World War II Medal of Honor recipient Audie Murphy’s autobiography, To Hell and Back, he speaks on several occasions about running suddenly into German soldiers at close range and having to rapidly fire multiple shots from his carbine. He tells how he had to rapidly engage two soldiers who unexpectedly hopped into a trench he was using to approach an objective under cover. In other battles, he mentions having to rapidly fire multiple shots at a single soldier, both to overcome misses and to stop the enemy before it had a chance to hit Murphy.

Stage 1 is in this spirit, with the shooter mounting the M1 to a firing position and firing three rounds into the half-page target in 3 seconds. Many shooters will benefit from the old, close-range aperture sight technique of boosting speed by aiming with the front sight while keeping it roughly centered over the top of the aperture leaf rather than taking the time to look through the aperture and finely center the sights. I first learned this technique when taking a close-quarters military class with the old carry-handle M16A2 and later found that some Marines in the Pacific campaign were known to roughly file a big express-style ‘V’ in the top of the aperture leaf for a similar approach.

Stage 2 has the shooter at 20 yards, beginning with the carbine in the shoulder and muzzle depressed at the base of the target stand at the low ready, safety on. On the start signal, the shooter again fires three shots in 3 seconds. As I thought about this distance, I mulled over how it might relate to my grandfather’s generation; suppressing a pill box or machine guns nest’s firing port as a fellow GI moved to place a satchel charge or toss a grenade.

It also reminded me of one of my all-time favorite Medal of Honor citations. Hospital Apprentice First Class Robert Bush, a Navy Corpsman with 5th Marines on Okinawa, was treating a critically wounded Marine officer when a banzai charge broke through the perimeter and threatened to overrun his casualty-collection point. Bush drew his pistol and engaged the enemy with one hand while holding a plasma bottle aloft with the other. As more of the enemy approached he picked up a discarded carbine, accounted for six of the enemy and protected the wounded, despite the loss of one of his eyes due to enemy fire. It’s an incredible story that illustrates, in one small way, why Marines feel the way they do about their corpsman brothers.

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/3-0-carbine-drill-practical-exercise-for-the-m1-carbine/?utm_source=newsletter

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2023, 10:38:05 pm »
What kind of idiot tries to rob a gun shop?

https://twitter.com/SteveInmanUIC/status/1700653821926728061
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2023, 11:49:09 pm »
I started shooting clays with relatives a year or 2 ago.  We are very average at it, but are looking to improve...lol.  I've watched some videos on youtube on how to improve.  One of the things they mention is shooting your shotgun with BOTH eyes open and never focus on the barrel bead, but focus on the clay.  I've been closing one eye and focusing on the bead.  I can see where this would work.  To improve my chances I just got new glasses (it's only been 20 years), and upgraded to a 12 gauge over and under, from a 20....lol.  It had to be these items and not my lack of ability...lololol.

Any thoughts on shooting with both eyes open?
I learned moving targets on ducks, from a river blind. Yep, both eyes open. I only squinch down to one when I am using a scope.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2023, 12:28:16 am »
I've always shot with both eyes open. My only problem was when I was taking an ROTC Problem Analysis course that also taught pistol marksmanship. You can solve many a problem if you're good with a handgun.The instructor brought up eye dominance and I discovered I was left eye dominant. My scores went to crap until I learned to not think and just shoot the way I always did and my scores restored to normal. Once you've practiced enough, one doesn't need the sights at all except for long range shooting. Muscle memory, instinct shooting, takes over.