General Category > General Discussion

And the winner was.......

(1/3) > >>

Rapunzel:
And the winner was.......

This was posted on FB by GCNRA...... in all my years of going to Lake Powell I've never seen anything like this -- thank goodness!

And the winner is...wait for it...the centipede! Although the Giant Desert Centipede (Scolopendra heros) usually feeds on insects and other arthropods, these venemous hunters have been known to take lizards and even small mice as prey. Though their venom is mild to humans, a bite from one of these leggy critters would certainly ruin your day as they are reported to be quite painful. Ouch!

Lando Lincoln:
Wow... I am awake with a bad case of indigestion and I click on this!

Lipstick on a Hillary:
Gross!  I remember how painful scorpion stings were when I lived in Texas--they are all over the Hill Country where Vic goes!  Those centipedes look nasty--ugh.

massadvj:
I run into dead scorpions around the house in Texas fairly regularly.  Never encountered a live one, though, or a live rattler.  Usually, I find dead scorpions under the sinks and in other humid places.  My wife has seen numerous giant centipedes out in the garden.  Between those and the fire ants, she has quite a fight on her hands.  There is also a lot of wildlife.  We have seen deer, bobcats, road runners, foxes, skunks, raccoon and quite a few other critters on our Texas property.

Lipstick on a Hillary:
You are lucky.  I've been stung 6 or 7 times by scorpions.  It got to the point that, when I lived there, I would never put my shoes on without shaking them out first, I'd never stick my hand in a drawer, or a box, or up in a linen closet without checking it first.   I NEVER walked around barefoot without watching the floor in front of me.  I never put my feet down on the floor without looking first.

Don't even get me started on fire ants!  When I drove back here from Texas to move here, I think I got stung 4 times in 24 hours, at each stop I made before getting out of the state.  :laugh:  I still laugh about that--they couldn't wait to get rid of me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version