Author Topic: Giant oyster shell shows the sea near Taiwan was up to 3m higher, several degrees hotter 7,000 years  (Read 226 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Giant oyster shell shows the sea near Taiwan was up to 3m higher, several degrees hotter 7,000 years ago

By Jo Nova

Kenneth Richard at NoTricksZone reports on yet another paper that shows things were much hotter back in the early Holocene when there were hardly any coal fired power plants, and cars were just molecules spread across hematite deposits, emitting nothing.

Awkwardly, carbon dioxide levels were very low during this five thousand year Monster Heatwave, so climate modelers are forever trying to erase the hot Holocene, it’s just that the dang evidence keeps turning up in the damnedest of places.

In 2002 construction workers in Taipei dug up a giant oyster shell, and a whole oyster reef, rather improbably in the metropolitan area. This was 20 kilometers from the ocean where oysters are not supposed to grow.

One particular oyster shell was especially hard to ignore because it was a 42cm across. When it was carbon-14 dated, it clocked in as 7,500 years old. This particular kind of oyster is not found around Taipei any more (even in the ocean), but is found in colder waters around Japan and Korea. So the researchers wondered if this meant the oceans were somehow improbably higher but cooler at the time. They also wanted to find out if these oysters died out in Taipei because of global warming.  Instead it turns out the ocean there was much warmer and quite a lot higher.

https://joannenova.com.au/2024/07/giant-oyster-shell-shows-taiwan-sea-levels-were-up-to-3m-higher-water-several-degrees-hotter-7000-years-ago/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=giant-oyster-shell-shows-taiwan-sea-levels-were-up-to-3m-higher-water-several-degrees-hotter-7000-years-ago
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson