Author Topic: Opinion | Biden’s Historic Flop Came at the Worst Possible Moment  (Read 24952 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Opinion | Biden’s Historic Flop Came at the Worst Possible Moment
Story by Jeff Greenfield • 55m 

"The Biden campaign was eager to hold a debate to prove their 81-year-old candidate had what it took to serve as president for another four years — and that he’d look especially good next to a deranged authoritarian like Trump," writes Jeff Greenfield.

It’s likely to be the most quoted line of the evening: “I really don’t know what he said at the end of that sentence, and I don’t think he did, either.” The problem for President Joe Biden is that well before Donald Trump said that, Biden partisans from one end of the country to the other were saying pretty much the same thing.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this was the worst performance of any general election presidential candidate in any debate in modern American history. Nothing in the past — not Richard Nixon’s sweat in 1960, not Ronald Reagan’s serpentine wandering down memory lane in 1984, not Barack Obama’s vacuous indifference in 2012 — comes close to what we witnessed, through the hands that covered millions of eyes.

Biden’s performance, from his first rushed, unfocused answer on the economy to his disjoined closing statement, suggested he was utterly unprepared to make a coherent argument for his second term. Biden’s efforts to confront Trump on his lies — and there was a tsunami of dishonesty, from Trump’s ridiculous notion that every constitutional scholar wanted to end Roe v Wade to his claim that he never labeled servicemen and women “suckers and losers” despite his former chief of staff confirming it — were often as hard to understand as his substantive points.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/opinion-biden-s-historic-flop-came-at-the-worst-possible-moment/ar-BB1p3lR8?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=281b3fb812b54949a0869f5af18c8ed9&ei=73
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Opinion | Biden’s Historic Flop Came at the Worst Possible Moment
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 09:59:48 am »
I find it interesting that most of the article about Biden's historic flop is mainly about Trump in some way or another. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline cato potatoe

Re: Opinion | Biden’s Historic Flop Came at the Worst Possible Moment
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 10:02:13 am »
Was it though?  If he releases his delegates, they can nominate somebody else.  And despite what people say, I suspect the party rank & file would dump Kamala Harris and never look back.