Author Topic: Trump proposes ending taxes on tips  (Read 859 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump proposes ending taxes on tips
« on: June 10, 2024, 12:43:41 pm »
 Trump proposes ending taxes on tips
by Miranda Nazzaro - 06/10/24 7:56 AM ET

Former President Trump on Sunday said he would end taxes on tips as the “first thing” he does in office if reelected, marking his latest push to appeal to voters in the service industry.

“For those hotel workers and people that get tips, you’re going to be very happy. Because when I get to office, we are going to not charge taxes on tips,” Trump said at a rally in Las Vegas.

“We’re not going to do and we’re going to do that right away, first thing in office, because it’s been a point of contention for years and years and years,” he added. “And you do a great job of service, you take care of people and I think it’s going to be something that really is deserved.”

Changes to taxation on tipped income would require congressional approval. Lawmakers will be looking at the nation’s tax policy next year upon the expiration of Trump’s 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Cut Act (TCJA), which cut the corporate tax rate and brought down individual tax rates depending on the tax credit.

As the law currently stands, service workers are required to report their tips to the IRS, which views tips as regular taxable income.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4713392-donald-trump-taxes-on-tips/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Trump proposes ending taxes on tips
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 01:50:27 pm »
I'll ask my employer to pay me in tips instead of this whole payroll scam.  Who is this FICA guy, and why does he keep taking money from my paycheck?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 09:03:43 pm »
I'll ask my employer to pay me in tips instead of this whole payroll scam.  Who is this FICA guy, and why does he keep taking money from my paycheck?
Considering how many waitresses and others get paid subminimum wages because allegedly tips make up the difference, I am fine with this.

Besides, a tip is me rewarding someone for good service and commensurate with the quality of that service. I'm not good with the government skimming that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 10:11:25 pm »
This is a sneaky way to make the tax code more progressive:  Cut taxes on the service workers, and borrow money to make up the difference.  Set the expectation that only the middle and upper class should pay tax.  Eventually tax the hell out of them.  But in the meantime, borrow and spend, borrow and spend.  I bet Trump will propose another expansion of the child tax credit.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024, 10:19:53 pm »
   I'm waiting for him to declare he's bisexual to get a percentage of that 1.7%. 
   Is this any different than the other demonrat running giving get out of jail free cards, paid student loans and Kools?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024, 10:49:02 pm »
I don't think he'll get that passed...but it sure sounds good in Vegas, lol.

Many, many years ago when I waited tables the only tax requirement was to claim up to minimum wage. I was paid in the neighborhood of $1.45 and minimum was in the $5 and change. Sorry I don't remember the exact amounts. Of course back then credit card purchases were rare. Cash is harder to trace.

This seems fair to me. After all, it is a gratuity awarded for service provided. And...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I frankly don't think restaurants could maintain a staff if it weren't for tips. Some people are nice...some not so much. I once had a man throw a plate of spaghetti all over me because it "wasn't Italian". He!!s Bells...it was a Big Boy franchise.

That being said, I do think tipping is getting out of hand. There are tip jars and places on credit card receipts to add a tip every where you go. I'm pretty generous, but just because you handed me a pack of gum, rang it up and took my money doesn't really constitute a tip. :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024, 11:15:18 pm »
without cutting hospitality loose from minimum wage, and without rejiggering folks thinking back to cash for tipping, which I hear no one does anymore, this is a pointless and empty promise.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2024, 04:25:45 am »
Just what we need.  Even less workers paying taxes.  Those who still do have become a slave class to those who do not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2024, 07:18:40 am »
I don't think he'll get that passed...but it sure sounds good in Vegas, lol.

Many, many years ago when I waited tables the only tax requirement was to claim up to minimum wage. I was paid in the neighborhood of $1.45 and minimum was in the $5 and change. Sorry I don't remember the exact amounts. Of course back then credit card purchases were rare. Cash is harder to trace.

This seems fair to me. After all, it is a gratuity awarded for service provided. And...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. I frankly don't think restaurants could maintain a staff if it weren't for tips. Some people are nice...some not so much. I once had a man throw a plate of spaghetti all over me because it "wasn't Italian". He!!s Bells...it was a Big Boy franchise.

That being said, I do think tipping is getting out of hand. There are tip jars and places on credit card receipts to add a tip every where you go. I'm pretty generous, but just because you handed me a pack of gum, rang it up and took my money doesn't really constitute a tip. :shrug:

Today, "behind-the-counter employees" are tantamount to road island beggars at intersection traffic signals.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2024, 04:44:43 pm »
Today, "behind-the-counter employees" are tantamount to road island beggars at intersection traffic signals.
I can't stand that a person who does nothing but enter my order into a register and then hand me my food thinks they deserve a tip for doing their job...a waiter/waitress that give me good service yes, a meat automaton NO!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2024, 08:21:22 am »
I can't stand that a person who does nothing but enter my order into a register and then hand me my food thinks they deserve a tip for doing their job...a waiter/waitress that give me good service yes, a meat automaton NO!
Then don't tip them. Entering an order in a fast food place can be done without a human standing there, using credit/debit cards, and furthering the war on cash. Your call.

Just remember that that waiter/waitress is likely only getting $4.00 an hour in wages, because the Government allows that and they rely on tips as part of their pay.
If enough people don't tip, then there will only be those really desperate for jobs (illegals?) working, or the prices will have to go up to pay people more so they will take those jobs. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis