Author Topic: Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?
« on: June 07, 2024, 06:38:28 pm »
Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/06/07/most-significant-scientific-retraction-ever-n3789789

It may or may not be the most significant retraction of a scientific paper ever, but it certainly is in the ballpark.

The paper helped create and sustain the theory that amyloid protein buildups caused the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease and was one of a number of apparently fraudulent papers written by Sylvain Lesné, a professor at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
What makes this retraction so significant is that it has driven research into Alzheimer's treatments for nearly two decades, and treatment approaches based on its conclusions have failed to yield results.

If the hypothesis that amyloid protein buildups cause Alzheimer's symptoms is wrong, Lesné is responsible for perhaps billions of wasted research dollars and two decades of scientists following a false lead.

One fraudulent paper: reams of fruitless follow-up studies and millions of $$ of foredoomed drug trials. In an ideal world this colossal F-up would make science researchers double and triple down on ethical and accurate research. Sadly, I think we're from from such an ideal world, and some branches of science are distancing themselves from ethics and accuracy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 08:41:51 pm »
Wait until the Anthropogenic Global Warming pustule pops...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 09:36:00 pm »
Sylvain Lesné must be held to account.  But they probably will just suspend his access to the faculty lounge.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 09:48:15 pm »
Welcome to 'science'.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2024, 11:44:10 pm »
I'm good with the "hard sciences". Ohm's and Watt's Laws are totally reliable, and the penalties for violating the latter can include loud noises, bright flashes, and bad smells. I also "test" the First Law of Thermodynamics regularly, yogi555 , also reliable.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2024, 01:19:15 am »
Sylvain Lesné must be held to account.  But they probably will just suspend his access to the faculty lounge.

It's not just Lesné.

University of Minnesota scientist responds to fraud allegations in Alzheimer's research

While defending results, U researcher said it is "devastating" that a colleague might have doctored images.

Jeremy Olson  |  JULY 22, 2022 — 3:55PM

Dr. Karen Ashe, seen in 2011, defended the authenticity of her groundbreaking work.

A senior University of Minnesota scientist said it is "devastating" that a colleague might have doctored images to prop up research, but she defended the authenticity of her groundbreaking work on the origins of Alzheimer's disease.

Dr. Karen Ashe declined to comment about a U investigation into the veracity of studies led by Sylvain Lesné, a neuroscientist she hired and a rising star in the field of Alzheimer's research. However, she criticized an article in Science magazine that raised concerns this week about Lesné, because she said it confused and exaggerated the effect the U's work had on downstream drug development to treat Alzheimer's-related dementia.

"Having worked for decades to understand the cause of Alzheimer disease, so that better treatments can be found for patients, it is devastating to discover that a co-worker may have misled me and the scientific community through the doctoring of images," Ashe said in an e-mail Friday morning. "It is, however, additionally distressing to find that a major scientific journal has flagrantly misrepresented the implications of my work."

Questions have surfaced about as many as 10 papers written by Lesné, and often coauthored by Ashe and other U scientists, and whether they used manipulated or duplicated images to inflate the role of a protein in the onset of Alzheimer's.  .  .

.  .  .  The U studies have been so influential on the course of Alzheimer's research over the past two decades that any evidence of manipulation or false study results could fundamentally shift thinking on the causes of the disease and dementia. The investigation also implicates two successful researchers on a key measure by which they are judged: their ability to pull in federal grants.

Lesné was a named recipient of $774,000 in National Institutes of Health grants specifically involving Aβ*56 from 2008 through 2012. He subsequently received more than $7 million in additional NIH grants related to the origins of Alzheimer's.

Lesné, who did not reply to an e-mail asking for comment, came to the U in 2002  .  .  .

https://www.startribune.com/senior-university-of-minnesota-scientist-responds-to-fraud-allegations-in-alzheimers-research/600192351/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 04:54:27 am »
The problem is there has been so much of this kind of shady crapola in the science world over the last 50 years or so that we practically live in a manufactured false reality, especially in the subject of human health.
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2024, 03:42:45 pm »
Just noticed this:
Roche granted FDA Breakthrough Device Designation for pTau217 blood test to support earlier Alzheimer's disease diagnosis

*The Elecsys® pTau217 plasma biomarker test is being developed as part of an ongoing partnership between Roche and Eli Lilly and Company
    *Once approved, the test will aid healthcare providers in identifying amyloid pathology, a key feature of Alzheimer’s disease
    *Roche and Lilly believe the test could play an important role in improving access to early and accurate Alzheimer’s diagnosis

BASEL, April 11, 2024 – Roche (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY) announced today that its Elecsys pTau217 assay received Breakthrough Device Designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This blood test, which is being developed in collaboration with Eli Lilly and Company, will be used to help identify the presence or absence of amyloid pathology in individuals, which can help ensure they are able to receive appropriate care. This may include participation in clinical trials or access to approved disease-modifying therapies. If approved, the test could help rapidly broaden access to a more timely and accurate diagnosis and potentially mitigate the impact of Alzheimer’s disease on people and society.  ...
Roche press release

I don't know whether this means anything, as I don't have a very good grasp of the issue. My father died with Lewy Body dementia 30 years ago, and I recall mention of "amyloid plaque" at the time, but that's about all I know. You folks with a better understanding: please feel free to explain the relevance (if any) of the Roche announcement.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org
---------------
“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2024, 04:04:05 pm »
Science is not always a straight road ... there's a reason a scientific hypothesis is not a scientific law ... at times, Science becomes corrupted by groupthink as researchers compete for grant money, some blowhard is designates himself the definitive expert, or a pharmaceutical company seeks to monetize science before it has been proven.

My father-in-law has some form of dementia.  They were not able to complete that diagnosis because the diagnostics process was interrupted by the discovery he had congestive heart failure.  By the time the doctors had a handle on his cardio-pulmonary issues, my father-in-law wanted nothing to do with further dementia testing.

I am grateful that there are open-minded scientists of integrity that follow data and science, and do not limit themselves to prevailing popular opinion.

The sooner they can prove one hypothesis wrong, the sooner they can start expending resoources on another hypothesis that might be correct.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/27/alzheimers-brains-but-no-symptoms/
They have ‘Alzheimer’s brains’ but no symptoms. A new wave of drug developers wants to know why
By Sharon Begley Feb. 27, 2020

... About 30% of older adults have brains littered with enough amyloid or tau, or both, to qualify for an Alzheimer’s diagnosis but without so much as a hint of dementia, said neuroscientist Timothy Hohman of Vanderbilt University Medical Center, who is leading the largest-ever study to identify genetic explanations for that resilience.

“You can have abundant plaques and tangles without having Alzheimer’s disease,” agreed neurologist Rudy Tanzi of Massachusetts General Hospital. “The challenge is to figure out how. If we can, then the goal would be to mimic what these resilient people have with some kind of a drug. ...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/alzheimers-lack-of-beta-amyloid-not-plaque-buildup-may-be-the-culprit
Alzheimer's: Lack of beta-amyloid, not plaque buildup, may be the culprit
Written by Katharine Lang on October 11, 2022 — Fact checked by Hannah Flynn

- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, affecting more than 55 million peopleTrusted Source worldwide.
    - Until recently, beta-amyloid plaques, common in those with Alzheimer’s, were generally thought to be responsible for the deterioration in cognitive function that is characteristic of the disorder.
    - However, many people accumulate amyloid plaques in the brain as they age, but only some of these people go on to develop dementia.
    - A new study has suggested that dementia symptoms may result not from the formation of insoluble plaques but from a lack of soluble amyloid beta protein....

https://www.uc.edu/news/articles/2022/09/decreased-proteins-not-amyloid-plaques-tied-to-alzheimers.html
UC study: Decreased proteins, not amyloid plaques, tied to Alzheimer’s disease
Research on patients with mutations published in Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
By Tim Tedeschi  October 4, 2022

...“The paradox is that so many of us accrue plaques in our brains as we age, and yet so few of us with plaques go on to develop dementia,” said Espay, professor of neurology in the UC College of Medicine, director and endowed chair of the James J. and Joan A. Gardner Family Center for Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders at the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute and a UC Health physician. “Yet the plaques remain the center of our attention as it relates to biomarker development and therapeutic strategies.” ...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 04:10:41 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2024, 07:26:13 pm »
How does jailing Dr. Fauci win 2024 elections for Republicans?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2024, 07:28:24 pm »

If I have to spell it out you haven't been paying attention!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2024, 07:31:37 pm »
Spell it out for me.  I'm a dullard, a rube, a moron, an idiot, a nimrod, etc.

If I have to spell it out you haven't been paying attention!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2024, 07:33:40 pm »
Welcome to 'science'.

These quacks are nothing more than Modern snake oil salespeople.  Give me my Vitameatavegimen and I'll be fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2024, 07:34:31 pm »
Spell it out for me.  I'm a dullard, a rube, a moron, an idiot, a nimrod, etc.

Take a wild guess at who just might be the most hated man in America today.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2024, 08:19:15 pm »
Hating Dr. Fauci, on its own, will not win 2024 elections for Republicans.

Jailing Dr. Fauci, on tis own, will not win 2024 elections for Republicans.

Obsessing over retribution against an individual, on its own, will not win 2024 elections for Republicans.

Once Dr. Fauci is jailed, what's next to win 2024 elecitons for Republicans?

Talk of jailing Dr. Fauci is a fear tactic meant to convince any and all poltical enemies, real or imagined, to remain silent.

Go ahead, jail Dr. Fauci.  How many more votes will that attract to Republican candidates from voters who weren't previously going to vote Republican?

The winning issues for Republicans are inflation and immigration.

Take a wild guess at who just might be the most hated man in America today.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2024, 08:46:08 pm »

Obsessing over retribution against an individual, on its own, will not win 2024 elections for Republicans.

Talk of jailing Dr. Fauci is a fear tactic meant to convince any and all poltical enemies, real or imagined, to remain silent.

Go ahead, jail Dr. Fauci.  How many more votes will that attract to Republican candidates from voters who weren't previously going to vote Republican?

I know it's a novel concept, but I happen to believe holding that little sawed off bastard accountable for his many crimes would win Republicans a lot of votes!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2024, 08:49:41 pm »
These quacks are nothing more than Modern snake oil salespeople.  Give me my Vitameatavegimen and I'll be fine.

For the most part, that's right.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2024, 08:50:13 pm »
I'd rather that time and energy be expended to hold the Chinese Communist Party accountable.

I know it's a novel concept, but I happen to believe holding that little sawed off bastard accountable for his many crimes would win Republicans a lot of votes!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2024, 09:01:42 pm »
I'd rather that time and energy be expended to hold the Chinese Communist Party accountable.

Hate to break it to you, but it's the same thing!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2024, 11:50:00 pm »

https://twitter.com/LeadingReport/status/1800959730338206026
In 2015 they already had the chimera virus they'd created using the spike protein from a bat coronavirus and a "mouse adapted SARS backbone" (from the abstract) and sent it to China (Wuhan) for refinement.
They had a 'winner', and did not need the monkeypox variant.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2024, 11:52:40 pm »

Tell that to RFK, Jr. It's the card he lead with, over the COVID shots.
I consider him an uber Liberal otherwise, but he scored points with that.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2024, 01:29:54 pm »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2024, 01:50:11 pm »
Tell that to RFK, Jr. It's the card he lead with, over the COVID shots.
I consider him an uber Liberal otherwise, but he scored points with that.

He scored points, but he’s not nearly in the lead.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.