General Category > Health/Education

Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?

(1/6) > >>

PeteS in CA:
Most Significant Scientific Retraction Ever?

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/06/07/most-significant-scientific-retraction-ever-n3789789

--- Quote ---It may or may not be the most significant retraction of a scientific paper ever, but it certainly is in the ballpark.

The paper helped create and sustain the theory that amyloid protein buildups caused the symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease and was one of a number of apparently fraudulent papers written by Sylvain Lesné, a professor at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
What makes this retraction so significant is that it has driven research into Alzheimer's treatments for nearly two decades, and treatment approaches based on its conclusions have failed to yield results.

If the hypothesis that amyloid protein buildups cause Alzheimer's symptoms is wrong, Lesné is responsible for perhaps billions of wasted research dollars and two decades of scientists following a false lead.
--- End quote ---

One fraudulent paper: reams of fruitless follow-up studies and millions of $$ of foredoomed drug trials. In an ideal world this colossal F-up would make science researchers double and triple down on ethical and accurate research. Sadly, I think we're from from such an ideal world, and some branches of science are distancing themselves from ethics and accuracy.

Smokin Joe:
Wait until the Anthropogenic Global Warming pustule pops...

rustynail:
Sylvain Lesné must be held to account.  But they probably will just suspend his access to the faculty lounge.

roamer_1:
Welcome to 'science'.

PeteS in CA:
I'm good with the "hard sciences". Ohm's and Watt's Laws are totally reliable, and the penalties for violating the latter can include loud noises, bright flashes, and bad smells. I also "test" the First Law of Thermodynamics regularly, yogi555 , also reliable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version