Author Topic: Wrong, Al Jazeera, Climate Change Not Causing Tribal Woe’s in Peru  (Read 206 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wrong, Al Jazeera, Climate Change Not Causing Tribal Woe’s in Peru

By
H. Sterling Burnett
May 22, 2024

An article by Al Jazeera claims climate change is wreaking havoc in the lives of the San Miguel Centro Marankiari indigenous peoples of the Ashaninka village in the mountains of central Peru. This is false. Climate change is a red herring. Data and historical evidence show that neither temperatures or rainfall/drought conditions in the region are outside its historical norm. Also, the story itself makes it clear that incursions from farmers outside of the Marankiari community, who are deforesting the mountain slopes. are disrupting the traditional lives of Marankiari, neither of which are being driven by climate change, though they both can affect the local climate.

Based on the headline, “‘Nothing left’: How climate change uprooted an Indigenous village,” Al Jazeera’s story is misleading from the beginning – although it does detail some serious issues facing the native Marankiari people.

First, the story spends almost no time at all detailing the problems “climate change” is supposedly causing for the lives of the Marankiari, rather it vaguely references drought as a problem, but doesn’t provide evidence of a long-term trend. Perhaps, because there is none. Second, the story’s headline indicates that that Ashaninka has been “uprooted,” but, in fact, as the story reveals, current conditions are causing the tribe’s leader, Tsitsiri Samaniego, to consider whether “Migration, . . . might be his community’s best option.

https://climaterealism.com/2024/05/wrong-al-jazeera-climate-change-not-causing-tribal-woes-in-peru/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson