Author Topic: Electric car drivers face astronomical costs to replace tyres  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Electric car drivers face astronomical costs to replace tyres

By Paul Homewood

I knew it would be bad, but not this bad!

Electric car buyers should be aware of the “astronomical” costs required to regularly replace short-lived tyres, owners have warned.

Car lover Jim Bassett managed just 7,500 miles in his brand new Volkswagen ID.3 before being quoted more than £300 to replace the rear rubber.

The 80-year-old stumped up the cash after being told it was common practice for tyres on his rear-wheel model to degrade rapidly due to the weight of the vehicle .

Due to its heavy battery, the £35,000 hatchback weighs around 1,800kg – the same as a Jeep Wrangler 4×4.

Fellow ID.3 owners have taken to online forums to also complain of short tyre life, blaming degradation on the hefty weight and instant torque of the car.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2024/05/26/electric-car-drivers-face-astronomical-costs-to-replace-tyres/#more-73588
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson