General Category > World News

Sunak’s plan to make 18-year-olds do national service grabs attention on UK election trail

(1/1)

Gefn:
LONDON -- All 18-year-olds in Britain will have to perform a year of mandatory military or civilian national service if the governing Conservative Party wins the July 4 national election, the party said Sunday.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak pledged to bring back a form of national service for the first time in more than 60 years, seeking to energize his election campaign after a faltering start.

The U.K. introduced military conscription for men and some women during World War II, and imposed 18 months of mandatory military service for men between 1947 and 1960. Since then Britain has had an all-volunteer military whose size has steadily shrunk.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/sunaks-plan-make-18-year-olds-national-service-110569987

Fishrrman:
Do the Brits really want all those young muslim males in the UK learning actual military skills, courtesy of their own government...?

This is gonna turn around to bite 'em in the future.

But since WWII the Brits haven't acted with much common sense, anyway.

berdie:

--- Quote from: Fishrrman on May 26, 2024, 08:38:52 pm ---Do the Brits really want all those young muslim males in the UK learning actual military skills, courtesy of their own government...?

This is gonna turn around to bite 'em in the future.

But since WWII the Brits haven't acted with much common sense, anyway.

--- End quote ---

It could train the young Muslims, if they haven't already been trained...but conversely it could also train opposition forces.

I try to be an optimist.

mountaineer:
I wouldn't trust Rishi Sunak any farther than I could toss him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version