Author Topic: Our Chemical Facilities Are Vulnerable To Attack  (Read 338 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Our Chemical Facilities Are Vulnerable To Attack
« on: May 26, 2024, 02:46:44 pm »

Our Chemical Facilities Are Vulnerable To Attack
By Chris Jahn
May 25, 2024

Congress Must Act to Secure Them Before Terrorists Strike
If our nation suffers another terrorist attack, it will be hard to argue that the signs weren’t there for us to see. The federal government has expressed growing concern that AI will empower attacks on our water, transportation, and financial systems. The Department of Homeland Security has warned that bad actors are using the technology to develop weapons of mass destruction. We know foreign nationals are illegally crossing our southern border in droves. And the death of Iran’s president will likely foment international conflict that deepens concerns about attacks in the U.S.

Congress should be taking every measure to secure our nation’s critical infrastructure. Yet when it comes to chemical production facilities, they have left the door wide open.

Last summer, legislators allowed a federal security program protecting chemical plants to expire. I hope it doesn’t take an attack on these facilities to show the vital role they play in producing our energy, food, drinking water, computer chips, medicines, cars—you name it. That’s what makes them such an attractive target for terrorists—and that’s why we should do everything in our power to protect them.

After the September 11th attacks, Congress directed the Department of Homeland Security to create the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards program (CFATS) to address potential terrorist threats to chemical facilities. This helped DHS identify facilities that might be at risk of a potential attack and set national standards for addressing physical and cyber threats. CFATS also provided companies with access to valuable expertise from DHS and important tools to help prevent bad actors from gaining access. It successfully flagged at least 10 individuals with potential ties to terrorism.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/05/25/our_chemical_facilities_are_vulnerable_to_attack_1033957.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Our Chemical Facilities Are Vulnerable To Attack
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 02:49:37 pm »
Congress Must Act to Secure Them Before Terrorists Strike

We can rest assured this won't happen. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 04:23:24 am »
We can rest assured this won't happen. 9999hair out0000
Mainly because they can't if they won't start at the border and remove the illegals they've let in.
Congress won't do that, because someone is either pulling their strings, holding some career-ending goods on them, or they're making bank somehow on the deal.

If they aren't going to protect the Republic, they sure can't protect a water plant, a bridge, a critical power substation, a pipeline, or any transport venue from disruption, except the protections they've already taken for themselves--and that isn't just the Congress, but even more, the Executive Branch that is responsible for upholding the Law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 05:05:38 am »
Congress should be taking every measure to secure our nation’s critical infrastructure.

But they're not.  In fact, they aren't doing squat.  Nor would they even know where to start.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-