Author Topic: U.S. Marine Corps at Risk: Assessing Diminished Global Response Capabilities  (Read 119 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. Marine Corps at Risk: Assessing Diminished Global Response Capabilities
Story by Jade Harper • 21m •

As the globe braces for unpredictability in warfare, the United States Marine Corps faces a perilous crossroad. Historically revered as the nation’s swift emergency response force, the Corps’ rapid deployment capability, deeply rooted in its maritime prepositioning strategy, now hangs in the balance—buffeted by budget constraints and strategic missteps.

Maritime prepositioning has been the backbone of the Marine Corps’ global commitment for nearly four decades, showcasing its prowess in the Gulf Wars. The foresight of stationing combat power and sustainment in strategic locations has deterred adversaries and ensured swift military responses. Yet, in a concerning turn of events, budgetary pressures have led to the quiet deactivation of the Mediterranean maritime prepositioning squadron in 2018, a move that inadvertently left Europe exposed to emergent threats.
They Don't Want You To Carry One, But It's Not Prohibited

In 2017, three naval pre-positioning squadrons were established at the forefront to support crises and emergencies. One squadron with six ships stationed in the Mediterranean, a second squadron with seven ships in the Western Pacific, and a third squadron of seven ships in the Indian Ocean.

Each of these squadrons supported a Marine Expeditionary Unit (16,500 Marine Corps and sailors) in a 30-day battle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/u-s-marine-corps-at-risk-assessing-diminished-global-response-capabilities/ar-BB1n52Yg?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ec8306c1cf4240a6be7d772969552b8e&ei=16
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson