Author Topic: Pope blasts Texas AG Paxton's suit to shut down migrant-aiding Catholic charity  (Read 151 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pope blasts Texas AG Paxton's suit to shut down migrant-aiding Catholic charity
Pope Francis called Ken Paxton's attempt to close El Paso-based Annunciation House 'madness.'
By Michael Karlis on Mon, May 20, 2024 at 1:59 pm

Pope blasts Texas AG Paxton's suit to shut down migrant-aiding Catholic charity

In a rare TV interview, Pope Francis lambasted Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton's attempt to shut down an El Paso-based Catholic charity that assists migrants, even calling the state's legal action "madness."

Francis' comments came during Sunday's episode of CBS's 60 Minutes. During that interview, taped in April interview at the Vatican, journalist Norah O'Donnell asked the pontiff what his thoughts were on Texas' bid to shut down Annunciation House, the El Paso-based nonprofit.

"That is madness. Sheer madness. To close the border and leave them there, that is madness," Francis said. "The migrant has to be received. Thereafter you see how you are going to deal with him. Maybe you have to send him back, I don't know, but each case ought to be considered humanely, right?"

“It’s a joke. Don’t take it badly,” says Pope Francis, laughing as he and @NorahODonnell discuss their family heritage. https://t.co/kUqnmR9g8l pic.twitter.com/wdFl4FdNyr

— 60 Minutes (@60Minutes) May 19, 2024
The Pope was referring to a suit filed earlier this year by Paxton's office seeking the closure of Annunciation House. The suit accuses the nonprofit of facilitating illegal entry to the United States, alien harboring, human smuggling and operating a stash house — all claims denied by officials with the charity.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/pope-blasts-texas-ag-paxtons-suit-to-shut-down-migrant-aiding-catholic-charity-34594965
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Just looking at the Pope, I think he should be sending some of that food he's obviously enjoying to the "poor, miserable" immigrants. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson