Author Topic: 23 Inspiring Memorial Day Quotes to Honor Our Fallen Heroes  (Read 130 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

23 Inspiring Memorial Day Quotes to Honor Our Fallen Heroes
CRISTINA VANTHULUPDATED:SEP 15, 2022 2:51 PM EDT
23-inspiring-memorial-day-quotes-to-honor-our-fallen-heroes
What Is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is a holiday in the United States that honors the soldiers who died serving in the military. The holiday is observed on the last Monday of May each year. Celebrations take many forms—parades, family gatherings, backyard barbecues, and visiting cemeteries where loved ones are interred. A national moment of remembrance occurs at 3:00 p.m. local time.

Originally known as Decoration Day, Memorial Day has been celebrated since the 1800s after the Civil War. It became an official holiday in 1971. Early celebrations included decorating the graves of soldiers with flowers and flags giving rise to the holiday's original name. These first celebrations also included prayers and poem recitations.

Earliest Memorial Day Celebrations
The first Memorial Day celebration is believed to have been organized by freed slaves in Charleston, South Carolina, less than a month after the end of the Civil War. On May 1, 1865, more than 10,000 freedmen, women, and children staged a parade around the local racetrack to honor the Union soldiers who died in the city. However, this early celebration was not discovered until 1996, so a different city was named the official birthplace of Memorial Day.

https://holidappy.com/holidays/23-Inspiring-Memorial-Day-Quotes-to-Honor-Our-Fallen-Heroes
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson