Author Topic: 100 years ago, the US took a break from immigration — and America thrived  (Read 184 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
100 years ago, the US took a break from immigration — and America thrived
Opinion by Mark Krikorian • 17h •

One hundred years ago this Sunday, the Ellis Island wave of immigration was brought to an end.

And all Americans are better for it.

For decades we’ve been taught to be ashamed of the period of immigration restriction the law inaugurated.

And it’s true that many supporters of the 1924 immigration law were motivated by racial and ethnic concerns that are rightly rejected today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/100-years-ago-the-us-took-a-break-from-immigration-and-america-thrived/ar-BB1n0e4f?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=4ef17b63c7e4415aba137eeb9fa2c947&ei=38
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
When I saw the title for this article, I thought at first, "finally, someone gets it and is willing to say as much publicly."

Then, I read further, to where he wrote:
"And it’s true that many supporters of the 1924 immigration law were motivated by racial and ethnic concerns that are rightly rejected today..."

... and realized, "no, he DOESN'T get it".