Author Topic: DeSantis, GOP governors to ‘resist’ delegating health authority to WHO amid Geneva meeting  (Read 711 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
DeSantis, GOP governors to ‘resist’ delegating health authority to WHO amid Geneva meeting

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Gov. Ron DeSantis is among 24 Republican governors opposing President Joe Biden’s potential to sign the World Health Organization’s “Pandemic Agreement,” saying it would give the organization “unprecedented and unconstitutional powers” over the U.S.

The World Health Assembly takes place May 27-June 1 in Geneva, Switzerland, where the American president is worried to be intending on supporting and signing the agreement, per a late-2023 announcement by the U.S.

The agreement would reportedly “drive a more equitable global response” to pandemics and “enhance cooperation” between members states.

The letter, sent directly to Biden by the GOP governors, said the agreement, a “treaty” without two-thirds approval from the U.S. Senate, would “undermine national sovereignty, infringe upon states’ rights, and jeopardize constitutionally guaranteed freedoms.”

“The objective of these instruments is to empower the WHO, particularly its uncontrollable Director-General, with the authority to restrict the rights of U.S. citizens, including freedoms such as speech, privacy, travel, choice of medical care, and informed consent, thus violating our Constitution’s core principles,” the governors said. “These agreements would seek to elevate the WHO from an advisory body to a global authority in public health.”

They pointed to a proposed element of the agreement that gives the WHO’s director-general “unilateral power” to declare a “public health emergency of international concern” within nations who join onto the agreement.

This, the governors said, delegates health policy direction from the U.S. as a sovereign state to the global body, “potentially including mandates regarding medical treatments.”

“Additional concerns arise regarding the establishment of a global surveillance infrastructure and requirements for member states to censor speech related to public health, potentially facilitating the proliferation of biological weapons,” they said................

https://flvoicenews.com/desantis-gop-governors-to-resist-delegating-health-authority-to-who-amid-geneva-meeting/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Absent ratification by the Senate, or specific implementing implementing language passed by Congress, Biden's signature has no force, and the WHO has no authority here.

Actually, the WHO likely would have no authority here either way.  You'd need specific Acts of Congress to pass whatever specific recommendations the WHO might make down the road.

So while I agree with calling this out, the practical impact is very small.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 04:30:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Absent ratification by the Senate, or specific implementing implementing language passed by Congress, Biden's signature has no force, and the WHO has no authority here.

Actually, the WHO likely would have no authority here either way.  You'd need specific Acts of Congress to pass whatever specific recommendations the WHO might make down the road.

So while I agree with calling this out, the practical impact is very small.
When has this stopped the Obiden train?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Why any rational person would think it is a good idea to put that bucket full of assholes, called the WHO, in charge is beyond me.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Wouldn't that be a foreign Treaty that requires approval by the US Senate?

We are a nation of laws lawyers, after all.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

When has this stopped the Obiden train?

What unratified, unimplemented treaty did Obama try to enforce domestically?

The closest thing I can remember are the Kyoto Protocols signed by Clinton in 1997, and the Paris Agreement signed by Obama in 2015.  Neither of which had force of law regarding domestic policy.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Wouldn't that be a foreign Treaty that requires approval by the US Senate?

Doesn't have to be.  Just can't be enforced.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 06:58:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Why any rational person would think it is a good idea to put that bucket full of assholes, called the WHO, in charge is beyond me.

For most countries, I would say that they're not actually putting the WHO in charge.  They're just virtue-signalling, or giving themselves cover for whatever they might decide to do later.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 07:00:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What unratified, unimplemented treaty did Obama try to enforce domestically?

The closest thing I can remember are the Kyoto Protocols signed by Clinton in 1997, and the Paris Agreement signed by Obama in 2015.  Neither of which had force of law regarding domestic policy.
Gosh I think we are on different tracks, my point is when has the Constitution or laws stopped the Obama(we know Joe's not making decisions) Biden administration from doing what they want, like the uncontrolled invasion at the border, like student loan forgiveness.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Gosh I think we are on different tracks, my point is when has the Constitution or laws stopped the Obama(we know Joe's not making decisions) Biden administration from doing what they want, like the uncontrolled invasion at the border, like student loan forgiveness.

Lots of times.   One prominent example was when Obama tried to pass his Clean Power Plan, which was an attempt to implement parts of the Paris Agreements via administrative regulation and executive order rather than legislation.  The Supreme Court killed it.   Plenty of other Biden policies have been shot down by the courts, including some that are immigration related.

The student loan forgiveness issue is widely misunderstood legally.   The case that came before the Supreme Court was a mass forgiveness in the hundreds of billions, without any clear statutory authority other than a bill related to 9/11.   That specific program was killed by SCOTUS and has not been revived.

What Biden has done since then are a couple of more narrow forgiveness programs justified under different statutes than the 9/11 bill.  Those have not been declared unlawful yet, so no Supreme Court order is being defied.

The unfortunate problem is that when Congress passed some of these student loan bills, they including language permitting the President to make discretionary waivers.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 02:27:45 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gov. Abbott Joins Fellow Republican Governors in Opposing World Health Organization Treaty

Texas Scorecard by  Sydnie Henry   | May 23, 2024

According to the governors’ letter, the World Health Organization’s “Pandemic Agreement” could undermine national sovereignty, states’ rights, and constitutionally-guaranteed freedoms.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has joined 23 fellow Republican governors in opposition to a proposed “Pandemic Agreement” that would grant the World Health Organization “unprecedented and unconstitutional powers over the United States and its people.”

The letter, sent to President Joe Biden, explains that the governors have found the proposed treaty will “empower the WHO, particularly its uncontrollable Director-General, with the authority to restrict the rights of U.S. citizens, including freedoms such as speech, privacy, travel, choice of medical care, and informed consent, thus violating our Constitution’s core principles.”

They expressed disagreement with the treaty, as it would strip “elected representatives of their role in setting public health policies and compelling citizens to comply with WHO directives.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/gov-abbott-joins-fellow-republican-governors-in-opposing-world-health-organization-treaty/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Resist"??

Wow, bold response, eh?

Why not just say "No!" -- and be done with it.