Author Topic: Shrimp’s Carbon Footprint Is 10 Times Greater Than Beef’s  (Read 545 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

FEBRUARY 22, 2012
Shrimp’s Carbon Footprint Is 10 Times Greater Than Beef’s
Tom Philpott

“Shrimp lovers don’t need to crash a fancy party to enjoy premium, seasoned-to-perfection shrimp,” announced a Taco Bell press release last year. The chain was heralding its “Pacific Shrimp Taco,” which featured a half-dozen “premium shrimp” for just $2.79.

Marketing campaigns like Taco Bell’s, along with Red Lobster’s periodic “Endless Shrimp” promotions, crystallize shrimp’s transformation from special-treat food to everyday cheap fare. What happened? The answer lies in the rise of factory-scale shrimp farms over the last generation. Twenty years ago, 80 percent of shrimp consumed here came from domestic wild fisheries, with imports supplying the rest. Today, we’ve more than flipped those numbers: the United States imports 90 percent of the shrimp consumed here. We now bring in a staggering 1.2 billion pounds of it annually, mainly from farms in Asia. Between 1995 and 2008, the inflation-adjusted price of wild-caught Gulf shrimp plunged 30 percent.

It turns out, not surprisingly, that plates mounded with cheap shrimp float on a veritable sea of ecological and social trouble. In his excellent 2008 book Bottomfeeder: How to Eat Ethically in a World of Vanishing Seafood, the Canadian journalist Taras Grescoe took a hard look at the Asian operations that supply our shrimp. His conclusion: “The simple fact is, if you’re eating cheap shrimp today, it almost certainly comes from a turbid, pesticide- and antibiotic-filled, virus-laden pond in the tropical climes of one of the world’s poorest nations.”

Lest anyone think otherwise, these factory farms generate poverty in the nations that house them, as Grescoe demonstrates; they privatize and cut down highly productive mangrove forests that once sustained fishing communities, leaving fetid dead zones in their wake.

https://www.motherjones.com/food/2012/02/all-you-can-eat-shrimp-side-ecologial-ruin/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Shrimp’s Carbon Footprint Is 10 Times Greater Than Beef’s
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 10:58:21 am »
I just happened on this story this morning.  I find it interesting green alarmists aren't squealing as they do over cows!  I guess they think the little buggers are just too hard to do away with to save the earth. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 08:54:11 pm »
I just happened on this story this morning.  I find it interesting green alarmists aren't squealing as they do over cows!  I guess they think the little buggers are just too hard to do away with to save the earth. *****rollingeyes*****
Nobody is studying shrimp farts. It's always something anal with those people.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2024, 08:55:28 pm »
same with termites, btw

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2024, 09:15:14 pm »
I have never tasted shrimp.  I don't like it and won't eat it because of the smell of it when it's cooking.  Not a fan of any shellfish period. I've never tried crab, or clams either.  One bite of lobster was enough to turn me off to all shellfish.  Oysters, they are just plain nasty looking.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2024, 09:21:39 pm »
Is this why Red Lobster 🦞 closed?  :whistle:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2024, 09:27:07 pm »
I have never tasted shrimp.  I don't like it and won't eat it because of the smell of it when it's cooking.  Not a fan of any shellfish period. I've never tried crab, or clams either.  One bite of lobster was enough to turn me off to all shellfish.  Oysters, they are just plain nasty looking.
I remember when I was 16 and working as a cook in Knott's Steak House, they were adding King Crab legs to the menu and all the waitresses were ape shit over it so I tried some the way they ate it dipped in butter and what i got out of that was...butter :shrug: I eat shrimp dipped in shrimp sauce and that's about it. If shrimp, lobster and oysters bring others gastronomic joy, good for them. After reading this article I can't help wondering if some Gaia worshiper is going to demand that shrimp farts be collected to save the planet, maybe it could be marketed green shrimp power?

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 09:31:23 pm »
Cocktail sauce by the gallon:

1 bottle of Tabasco Sauce.
Two jars of horseradish
Ketchup to top off. Mix well...

Especially good on scalded oysters and shrimp.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 09:45:22 pm »

My world famous crap salad...
Crap salad because it ain't really crab salad.... Uses imitation crab.

Basically not potato salad using an egg/ mustard potato salad recipe... Replace potatoes with large macaroni and add in imitation crab in big chunks. Celery and black olive slices... Lawrys or smoked hot paprika dusted on the top...

It'll make you a believer.  happy77

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 09:47:12 pm »
Cocktail sauce by the gallon:

1 bottle of Tabasco Sauce.
Two jars of horseradish
Ketchup to top off. Mix well...

Especially good on scalded oysters and shrimp.
:pondering: Never added Tabasco, I'll have to try that, but have made my own sauce with ketchup and horseradish forever.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 09:57:22 pm »
My world famous crap salad...
Crap salad because it ain't really crab salad.... Uses imitation crab.

Basically not potato salad using an egg/ mustard potato salad recipe... Replace potatoes with large macaroni and add in imitation crab in big chunks. Celery and black olive slices... Lawrys or smoked hot paprika dusted on the top...

It'll make you a believer.  happy77

:laugh: I don't think so.  Not a believer in shellfish or any similar such food.  There are very few foods that I don't like; shellfish, coconut, pickles, olives and brussel sprouts. That's about it. I tolerate pickles if its mixed in with something ok.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:58:26 pm by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2024, 11:00:15 pm »
:laugh: I don't think so.  Not a believer in shellfish or any similar such food.  There are very few foods that I don't like; shellfish, coconut, pickles, olives and brussel sprouts. That's about it. I tolerate pickles if its mixed in with something ok.

I would SNARF all pickles, had I my way. One of the very hardest parts of this low salt diet is no pickles. Anything fermented or pickled I am going to love.

Love brussel sprouts.... pan-fried in butter...
Love olives.

Coconut and shellfish... meh. Take it or leave it. Ain't gotta have it.