Author Topic: Nuclear versus Renewables: The only cost that matters is the one the customers pay  (Read 306 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nuclear versus Renewables: The only cost that matters is the one the customers pay
By Jo Nova

Games with levelized guesses don’t take all the hidden costs into account
Prize of the day for national policy research goes to Nick Cater, who managed to ridicule our billion dollar national science agency, the CSIRO, with a newspaper column.

The CSIRO put out a report proclaiming that nuclear power would be impossible before 2040 and cost “twice as much” as renewables. But Nick Cater just compared electricity in New South Wales to Finland to prove their 129 pages of modeled costs were wrong:

Finland’s clean, Green nuclear power a lesson for Labor
On Saturday….  Electricity generation in NSW was releasing 750g of carbon into the atmosphere per megawatt hour of electricity. In Finland, it was 35g.

If the CSIRO’s GenCost report is to be believed, Finnish electricity prices should have gone through the roof a year ago when its newest reactor was turned on. They did not. The retail price of electricity in Finland, which is indexed to the spot market, came down almost immediately.

https://joannenova.com.au/2024/05/nuclear-versus-renewables-the-only-cost-that-matters-is-the-one-the-customers-pay/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nuclear-versus-renewables-the-only-cost-that-matters-is-the-one-the-customers-pay
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
But they were gonna be so cheap it wouldn't pay to bill for electricity...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline The_Reader_David

But they were gonna be so cheap it wouldn't pay to bill for electricity...

And had we made a standardized design, mass produced them, not built them on earthquake faults and with fail-safe shut down mechanisms, that prediction might well have come true.  Instead, each nuclear reactor was custom built, required its own separate permitting process, and the Soviet-backed anti-nuclear "greens" managed to use the non-event at Three Mile Island to gin up enough opposition that building reactors ground to a halt.

We should still do that, come up with a standard design (or three -- say a standard large uranium base reactor, a standard thorium reactor and a small modular uranium based reactor) and mass-produce them.  The climate change alarmists are deluded, but they have pointed out correctly that we cannot assume the earth's climate will remain at a climate optimum.  Whether it gets a lot hotter, or a lot colder, we'll need more energy to adapt should there be a radical change, and nuclear is the only realistic source.  (Heck, if we insist on building lots of AI, we'll need more energy even if the climate settles into something like the Medieval Climate Optimum for the next three centuries, and again nuclear is the only realistic source.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 01:11:39 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.