Author Topic: New York City Releasing Hundreds of Migrants  (Read 129 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York City Releasing Hundreds of Migrants
« on: May 22, 2024, 03:18:37 pm »
New York City Releasing Hundreds of Migrants
Story by Nick Mordowanec • 1h •

New York City is beginning to evict migrants from its overwhelmed shelters, starting with hundreds this week as part of a new policy previously agreed to by city officials and legal advocates.

The city has seen a surge of about 200,000 migrants enter within the past two years, including some 65,000 who are currently housed in some form but may ultimately be out on the streets. Officials on Tuesday said that 1,300 new migrants arrived in the city just last week alone.

Migrants are also attributed to a year-over-year increase in the number of citywide ID cards administered that provide access to myriad city programs, services and discounts. The city issued 138,718 IDNYC cards between July 1, 2023 (the start of the current fiscal year), and March of this year, with a New York City Department of Social Services (DSS) spokesperson telling Newsweek on Monday that the increase in demand "is primarily attributable to the influx of asylum seekers to NYC."

Mayor Eric Adams and top city officials are defending the policy shift that will impact migrant shelter stays that extend beyond 30 and 60 days, based on a previously agreed upon deal between the city and legal advocates in relation to the city's decades-old right-to-shelter policy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-york-city-releasing-hundreds-of-migrants/ar-BB1mR1nu?ocid=widgetonlockscreen&cvid=2b8dd33208684ad4909059aadd0b25e3&ei=34
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson